Just spitballing about battery life here.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
With the spate of questions about battery life lately, I have to wonder if it's just a quirk of this battery in conjuction with the way the Note is used.

I know it's a big battery and all that, and that batteries of similar types have similar properties, but, as some of us are closing in on the year mark, more of us are finding that duration is slipping with little change to our phones. Yeah, there's a spate of Kit Kat complaints but even some of us who are still on Jellybean are starting to see averages drop. My buddy at work is seeing the same thing.

My average has fallen from 24hr to a little over 22. Some of that might be a difference in charging cycles but it makes me wonder if perhaps the retention curve is reduced a bit because of the size of the screen, increased use of streaming videos, etc.

My old Razr stayed pretty constant until about 22 months out. At that point, it went downhill fast. I didn't use it nearly as much for streaming, except for music.

There might not be any link, and I'm not complaining, since batteries are pretty cheap (and Zman wondered why people don't just keep swapping out batteries and my buddy at work said he stopped doing it because it felt like he was stressing the snaps in the back with all of the swapping out).

I just wonder if the ratio between screen size/usage and the capacity of the battery might causing premature loss. Obviously it's really good upfront so no complaints. Just wondering if it's just the nature of the battery because of capacity vs. use/infrastructure.

This isn't to say that some might not have issues with rogue apps or wasteful setups.

I've just noticed that my own daily battery life has slipped. As I said, there could be some variation in charging cycles but not that much. And I'm streaming more Netflix than I did in the beginning. But I went a few weeks without streaming any Netflix and my charging cycles were still down.

Like I said, just spitballing.

Posted via Android Central App

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Order a replacement Anker battery from eBay. It will run you like $9.95 and that will give you a way to check if that is true and you'll get a spare battery at the same time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've got a spare hanging around somewhere. If I could find it, I'd probably do it.

Still, I think I'm on the right track.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
i think batteries just get weaker with everyday use no battery what he charging cycle and eventually won't hold a charge at all...the longer I have the phone the shorter the battery life per day will get, with the same amount of usage...this does not explain however why battery life would drop drastically after an update. I still blame it on older apps that reinstalled after KK update and are not updated themselves so they get stuck running or working too hard.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Is there no app or phone that tells you your full battery has, say, 3200mah available. GSam doesn't as far as I can see.

That's the untold half of the story.

I have 2 GS2 OEM 1650 mah batteries, dated 1 year apart and I figure they run at 60% of their original capacity.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Iterry, I'm saying that the KK update might just be somewhat coincidental. It might have come at a time where the natural curve of the battery is starting to decline.

I haven't upgraded to KK and I'm experiencing it, as is my buddy at work.

I got to 18 hours on my most recent charge cycle (admittedly with fairly heavy usage). That doesn't mean I don't get over 22 hours on occasion. But I've definitely noticed a general decline in time.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
As lterry913 said, eventually the battery will just get weaker and weaker over time. Some people have reported a decline in battery life since upgrading to KK, while I on the other hand have gotten better battery life.

I was rooted running Hyperdrive, but was having little hiccups here and there, so... I actually unrooted, and went back to stock MJE and took the KK update and it is running great!

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
As lterry913 said, eventually the battery will just get weaker and weaker over time. Some people have reported a decline in battery life since upgrading to KK, while I on the other hand have gotten better battery life.

I was rooted running Hyperdrive, but was having little hiccups here and there, so... I actually unrooted, and went back to stock MJE and took the KK update and it is running great!
Yes, but you basically have 2 month old batteries since you've said that you swap out multiple batteries every day or so.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't worry for one second about battery life,, it's good, that's all I know. In any case I have a total of 6 battery's and I just rotate them daily. I have the power, I am not and will never be a slave to a charger,, that's for iPhone users.

Note 3 SIZE IS EVERYTHING

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Right. That's why your battery life doesn't really have any bearing on my observations. It might be a case for spending an extra 50 bucks on batteries though.

For me, I probably won't own this phone long enough to make having more than one extra battery though. Heck, I don't even know where my extra is right now. I might have to buy another, but I only swapped out my current spare a couple of times.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
BTW, Zman, not trying to come off like a ****, even though it sounds like it. Just trying to say that because of your particular usage and the way you've decided to deal with it, this isn't really an issue for you.

The reason I was spitballing wasn't just based on all of the "my battery sucks" posts. It was also because this is the first phone I've had where the battery started to drop in capacity before the first year was out. When my buddy at work said he was seeing the same thing (he bought his about a month before I did), I started thinking that it was something intrinsic to this phone and the way we use it and that maybe it isn't just a settings/rogue app issue, but almost an eventuality for anyone who actively uses his or her phone. With the big screen and powerful processor, and the ability to stream high quality videos and music, maybe this means that to get the battery "life" out of this admittedly honking big battery that we're used to seeing, it needed to be even bigger.

It's not that big of a deal with battery prices being fairly low. But when you are used to little drop in battery capacity even after almost two years with phones like the Moto DROID series, it just seems strange.

Plus, no one to my knowledge has brought this possible inherent battery property up as a possible cause. It could just turn out that this is something that you might have to expect with this phone.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
FYI , don't know why your battery like is so bad but I'm a heavy-duty user and on my heaviest days I still get at least 12 hours on a battery. Try a factory reset, I know my wife's phone was getting horrible battery life and after all I did failed to fix it I reset her phone and she now has good battery life. It was not a note 3 but still a good option if all else fails,, good luck. Oh and spare batteries don't cost 50 dollars, 3 of mine were 3 for 25 with the charger.

Note 3 SIZE IS EVERYTHING

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
My battery life isn't "bad". It's just slipping. I get a full day's use out of it. But my average has dropped from over 24 hours to just a tick over 22. My screen average is over 6 hours.

The drop in time over the day has been noticable with little change in usage or charging cycle. Right now I'm at 20% with 4'07" of screen time and about 17 1/2 hours of usage. In the "old days", 20% would be more like 20 hours and 5 hours of screen time.

My Anker portable battery (5500) works just fine for trips. Cost me $25. It got me through a year of RAZR use and I've used it on my last two road trips. 4 hours of streaming Rhapsody on the road with two LED lights out of 4 on each driving stretch and 100% on the phone. A lot easier than switching out and keeping track of multiple extra batteries. I never need to use it when I'm at home. I just recharge when the Note gets to 10%, usually when I'm sitting around checking email/FB (I do the layer A LOT) or using the hot spot via Fox Fi when using my laptop.

Your mileage obviously varies.

Plus if 3 batteries cost $25, then 5 isn't that far from $50.

Not really interested in a factory reset. Lots of time and effort for little potential gain (and if my hypothesis is close to being correct, no gain and a lot of pain).

You have found a system that works for you with all of the battery changing. That's why this phone is cool. Lots of options.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The first is back in the "good old days". The second is just now.

du3e4u6u.jpg
2u8a6yqu.jpg

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
As you can see, my screen time has actually gone up, leading to the thought that maybe the phone's great screen outstrips the ability of the battery to retain a charge over time. As you can see, not a substantial difference in app usage. The held awake time is higher in this instance, and I'll grant that this is a factor. But leading to that much of a drop in battery life? I'm skeptical.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
PS, just hit 10%. That's since 9:24. That's pretty harsh even considering that I've been using the phone for all but about 5 minutes.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone besides me think that the rapid charging 2.0 amp charger and the heat it generates may cause a quicker deterioration of the battery life than slower chargers. That's my impression. Batteries are cheap enough that I don't care. I replaced my original battery after only 6 months and see a great improvement in usage time with the new one.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay