Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Went to Wimbledon yesterday and man 4G killed my battery

I'm on three in the UK and where I live we don't get 4G but obviously in London there is 4G.

Granted I took it off charge at 91% due to using it as a sat nav but still my battery stats were

2 hours screen time
    9 hours total

That was with 2% left. Makes me think will 4G kill my battery that much? Or was it an issue with my battery. Checked what used the battery but nothing came up out of the normal usage. Android system was at 27% but that's normal for this phone since upgrading to 4.4
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Went to Wimbledon yesterday and man 4G killed my battery

Quote Originally Posted by thegame161 View Post
    I'm on three in the UK and where I live we don't get 4G but obviously in London there is 4G.

Granted I took it off charge at 91% due to using it as a sat nav but still my battery stats were

2 hours screen time
    9 hours total

That was with 2% left. Makes me think will 4G kill my battery that much? Or was it an issue with my battery. Checked what used the battery but nothing came up out of the normal usage. Android system was at 27% but that's normal for this phone since upgrading to 4.4
    LTE will definitely drain a the battery pretty fast if you are not careful. But to me, that doesn't seem too bad considering a strong LTE coverage and the use the device may have had. What are your screen settings? Automatic, 100% or set somewhere near the middle?

I use NOTHING BUT LTE and my battery life is great. I get ~5hrs screen on time. Did you check to see how your signal was? If you have poor signal or are switching back and forth looking for signal, that will kill your battery.

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    I use NOTHING BUT LTE and my battery life is great. I get ~5hrs screen on time. Did you check to see how your signal was? If you have poor signal or are switching back and forth looking for signal, that will kill your battery.
    Probably a function of the masses clogging up the pipeline. This not only causes a general slowdown with data demands, it also can affect switching in and out of LTE.

I work across from a major arena and when there is a big event, especially for those that see a really high smartphone use (lots of people texting, shooting videos, etc.) I see a big drop in signal, inability to connect to the Internet, and losing and regaining LTE.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by teleburst View Post
    Probably a function of the masses clogging up the pipeline. This not only causes a general slowdown with data demands, it also can affect switching in and out of LTE.

I work across from a major arena and when there is a big event, especially for those that see a really high smartphone use (lots of people texting, shooting videos, etc.) I see a big drop in signal, inability to connect to the Internet, and losing and regaining LTE.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ah! That makes a lot of sense.

A couple of years ago I went to Soldier Field (Verizon branding all over the damn stadium and signal boosters I'm sure) and I could barely send a text, much less surf the web, and I'm on Verizon.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    LTE will definitely drain a the battery pretty fast if you are not careful. But to me, that doesn't seem too bad considering a strong LTE coverage and the use the device may have had. What are your screen settings? Automatic, 100% or set somewhere near the middle?
    It's on auto and - 2 on auto.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    It did switch back to H+ a little bit but signal wise was on about 2 bars most of the day

In fairness I did take it off charge at 91% would that matter?