Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 2 Post By Madd54
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery life just keeps getting worse

I have had my note 3 for about 9 months now. I love it, but the great battery life I had when I first got it is gone. Today I unplugged at about 4:30 am with a full charge and I had a critical battery level of 5% by about 3:30 pm.

I had taken a screen shot of my battery usage earlier in the day and it looked way off. What is going on based on this kind of battery use?

Default Re: Battery life just keeps getting worse

I bought a new battery after 5 months.....fixed it! 👍 😉

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size Does Matter!"

Can you post times for each one of those?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno1974 View Post
    I have had my note 3 for about 9 months now. I love it, but the great battery life I had when I first got it is gone. Today I unplugged at about 4:30 am with a full charge and I had a critical battery level of 5% by about 3:30 pm.

I had taken a screen shot of my battery usage earlier in the day and it looked way off. What is going on based on this kind of battery use?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/27/3asesy3y.jpg
    This happens periodically to me. I clear the cache and it resolves itself. Sometimes even a simple restart takes care of it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopiejoe View Post

"Size Does Matter!"
    This is what I am thinking about doing.

Nowadays with mobile devices having only a 1 year shelf life, there is really no way of testing how good a battery really can last for.

9 months seems to be a pretty decent time for the life of a battery that could have potentially hundreds of charge cycles on it already.

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by vpblaze View Post
    This is what I am thinking about doing.

Nowadays with mobile devices having only a 1 year shelf life, there is really no way of testing how good a battery really can last for.

9 months seems to be a pretty decent time for the life of a battery that could have potentially hundreds of charge cycles on it already.

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk
    Post times for what?
    Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Can you post times for each one of those?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Like i told others check anything to do with syncing emails, Google accounts, cloud storages etc. These with "updates" change stuff in the app and act differently then before. I would also cut your BT, WIFI, and make sure your cell radio is not searching for signal. You will see this in your battery report.
    It seems as if you have some android apps not shutting down and running in the background. Go under power saving mode and turn on the new feature to stop back ground data.

What's the screen time?
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopiejoe View Post

"Size Does Matter!"
    I agree. These batteries don't seem to last as long as others. Could rapid charging with the 2.0 amp charger be shortening the life compared to slower charging? It doesn't really matter because replacement batteries are relatively inexpensive. In any case, you will have a backup battery.

Thanked by:

Post times for what?
    Each category in the screenshot you posted.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Sorry, didn't get the times but I think what I found most odd was the fact that screen was so low on the list. What are the other things ahead of it doing to drain so much of the battery?

Sorry, didn't get the times but I think what I found most odd was the fact that screen was so low on the list. What are the other things ahead of it doing to drain so much of the battery?
    Don't worry about where it is on the list, worry about screen on time. Do you know what your screen on time was?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

No I don't but I know it was very low that particular day.

Batteries don't last forever and they will soon not last as long due to recharges and just... Well... Using them. I'd suggest a new battery and it should fix the issue .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 likes this.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

These batteries are good for upwards of 500 FULL cycles before they start to deteriorate. That's over a year with a FULL charge cycle each day, which is highly unlikely for any user. Unless there's an issue with the charger, or it's a defective battery, I'd say the problem lies elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    These batteries are good for upwards of 500 FULL cycles before they start to deteriorate. That's over a year with a FULL charge cycle each day, which is highly unlikely for any user. Unless there's an issue with the charger, or it's a defective battery, I'd say the problem lies elsewhere.
    See this is what I have always thought. However after a few resets and attempts to remedy my decreasing battery life, I am beginning to think this batteries aren't lasting as long as I would hope.
    I am going to purchase a new battery and see where that takes me.

Sent from my Tab 3 using Tapatalk Pro

I guess 500 cycles sounds right and would give you close to 2 years if you get more than 1 days use most of the time and charge it by the book.
    Samsung may have taken a gamble balancing impressive charging speed and initial battery life on an unloaded phone against it not lasting 2 years. Perhaps they are being nice by not charging very much for a battery (though they were expensive in retail stores initially).

I think when I get a 2nd battery next week it will also enable me to use them properly, i e charge them from 15-30% up to 95 or occasionally 100%; and let them drop to the same range before swapping, which I expect to do most days.

I have been abusing my battery at times, we all do, with 20% top ups from 80 - 100, or when I only have time to do say from 10% to 30%.

I agree with a previous post that maybe charging so fast with a 2A can't be good for heat build up or battery life. A bit like filling a fuel tank at very high pressure, a lot of air and less fuel.

90 minutes to 95%. It was the most impressive thing about my phone when I got it, but I don't need it to charge that fast usually.

Apparently charging from 50 - 100% counts as a half cycle and is better for the battery as it is cooler at 50% and easier to charge. We can't revolve our life around battery cycles though so that's not going to happen often.
    vpblaze and Jalopiejoe like this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I have always had to charge mine every night. I hear people talk about multiple days off a charge but u have never seen it. The best I have ever done is 100% at 5 am and 15% by 11 pm. I am going to buy a new battery, but I still suspect it is something to do with kit kat. Before kit kat I had much longer battery life.

Thanks for the responses and ideas.
    Thanked by:

Ryno1974,

Typically on any of my phones, the screen is the one item that consumes most of my battery. It is at the top of the chart for me, I see that Android System is eating up more that twice the battery usage of your screen. I think you have something that is using up your system resources. Some of the causes could be:
    1) A mis-behaving app
    2) Low celluar reception, causing your phone to search for a signal
    3) WiFi turned on and searching for a signal, etc.

There are other things that could be causing your battery drain. Unfortunately it is a journey of self/phone-discovery that you must embark to solve this problem.
    Some suggestions,
    1) reboot every week
    2) look for and uninstall any suspect apps. Look for apps that have alot of CPU or wake time in the usage manager.
    3) Reboot into recovery and clear your cache, if you don't know how to do this, search the forums.
    4) Turn off WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth when not in use, these can contribute to needless battery drain

Good luck on tracking down your problem. It may be your battery, but looking at your screenshot, I would say it could be something else.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (current phone)
    Google Nexus 7 (current tablet)

I've had mine for eight months, no notiable decrease in battery performance, but it has had an occasional "hiccup", clearing the cache has always resolved it for me.