Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ShaggyKids
  • 3 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By bigjim71
  • 1 Post By jeepmanjr
  • 2 Post By z06mike
  • 1 Post By FBA
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default kit kat su__ks!

[[/ATTACH]kit kat su__ks!-screenshot_2014-06-29-22-07-06.jpgkit kat su__ks!-screenshot_2014-06-29-22-25-17.jpgI have been holding off on updating to kit kat for some time now. I never jump right in on any updates till the bugs are out. So I figured it was time. We'll I should have stuck with my original thoughts. Today was the first full day and it socks. Battery life is abysmal android os has used 72% in 13 hrs. Wtf this blows if there are thought or suggestions to fix this problem please I am all ears. There is no way I will be able to this phone if this is how it is going to be. Not happy.Also only have 1.5 hrs. of screen time basically didn't use phone hardly at all for the majority of the day.

Default Re: kit kat su__ks!

My battery drains very fast if I have location turned on. Once I turned it off my battery life is excellent once again. I only need it if I'm using my phone as a GPS so I pretty much don't need it at all.
    JellyBeanGurl likes this.

You have a high chance of getting your phone back to its old performance or better. Unfortunately it will involve a little pain. They never said KK would be easy, or so hard for some.
    There have been many threads.

While I used to dislike being advised ultimately to reset my phone, it has a benefit. KK went OK for me after the 1st 2 days. I only reset my phone much later after a faulty sd card problem. There are various steps you can take prior, to make resetting and getting your files back easier. Like syncing to Samsung for Samsung notes etc. I don't like to rely on Google too much for syncing.

The first issue is what Google does after installing KitKat. It resets all your sync preferences in its favour. Possibly Android is stuck in a loop trying to match everything. I was shown to untick photos sync to Picasa in Google accounts, but I had a Google sync error showing for 2 days ( "please try later' ).

It's worth considering initially to turn off / disable Google + temporarily, un-tick most sync options in Google accounts temporarily, moving apps from the sd card back to the device storage temporarily, backing up files to a pc or other and unmount the sd card in settings and remove it for a period (2-3 days). Maybe also consider saving files and re- formatting the sd card before putting it back.

Again - clearing cache in Recovery, uninstalling many apps you don't need or maybe causing a temporary issue via the sd card, removing the battery, sd card and sim and reinstalling, are all things you can try. Maybe disable all cloud backups temporarily, though Dropbox helped me after a reset.
    If you need instructions on any of those, we're here to help.

First off unsync all the Google stuff in Google Accounts.

I hope others can advise you more.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    My battery drains very fast if I have location turned on. Once I turned it off my battery life is excellent once again. I only need it if I'm using my phone as a GPS so I pretty much don't need it at all.
    In the past I have always left gps only on all the time, while not allowing it to use the wireless network for location services and that worked for me without causing any large battery drain,so this is how I still have it set up. If other means don't help than I will also try that. Thanks
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    You have a high chance of getting your phone back to its old performance or better. Unfortunately it will involve a little pain. They never said KK would be easy, or so hard for some.
    There have been many threads.

While I used to dislike being advised ultimately to reset my phone, it has a benefit. KK went OK for me after the 1st 2 days. I only reset my phone much later after a faulty sd card problem. There are various steps you can take prior, to make resetting and getting your files back easier. Like syncing to Samsung for Samsung notes etc. I don't like to rely on Google too much for syncing.

The first issue is what Google does after installing KitKat. It resets all your sync preferences in its favour. Possibly Android is stuck in a loop trying to match everything. I was shown to untick photos sync to Picasa in Google accounts, but I had a Google sync error showing for 2 days ( "please try later' ).

It's worth considering initially to turn off / disable Google + temporarily, un-tick most sync options in Google accounts temporarily, moving apps from the sd card back to the device storage temporarily, backing up files to a pc or other and unmount the sd card in settings and remove it for a period (2-3 days). Maybe also consider saving files and re- formatting the sd card before putting it back.

Again - clearing cache in Recovery, uninstalling many apps you don't need or maybe causing a temporary issue via the sd card, removing the battery, sd card and sim and reinstalling, are all things you can try. Maybe disable all cloud backups temporarily, though Dropbox helped me after a reset.
    If you need instructions on any of those, we're here to help.

First off unsync all the Google stuff in Google Accounts.

I hope others can advise you more.
    I usually do not have google+ turned ever! that would always seem to be a huge drain. Just checked and it must have got turned on during the update,it's now off. Google has also been turned off. Cache has been cleared.the only sync I like to leave is for contacts. But I will check all of that and see what's what. A rest is definitely the last option I want to do just like any one else, that's just pia. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see how things go with those few things. Right from the beginning I was all ready thinking a reset might be in order, we shall see. Thanks again
    anon8380037 likes this.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I reset my phone after upgrading and have excellent battery life with or without GPS. Like others, I didn't want to go to that extreme, but since I keep my phone backed up it wasn't a huge ordeal. Just might be worth the trouble.
    anon8380037 likes this.

Also, go to settings>wifi>menu button> advanced and see if Wifi always scanning is turned on.
    If it is, turn it off and see if you see any improvement.
    anon8380037 and Weaser999 like this.

Global Posts
    19,899 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

1) That 72% doesn't mean 72% of the battery charge, it means 72% of the 51% drain shown in the graph. (You have 49% left, so you've used 51%.) That's 36% of the battery charge.

2) The first few days, any update is going to be using wifi or mobile data a lot, syncing things up. Not only the things in Google sync, but OS things as well.

3) After an update, you should at least clear user cache. Clearing Dalvik cache may help (after the first boot, which will seem to take forever). A complete factory reset might also help, but unless you have everything, including your data, backed up in a way that's easy to restore (like a Helium backup including apps), I would save that as a last resort.

4) I agree with your topic, which is why I'm still on 4.3. The only advantage I see to 4.4 is that I may have to upgrade to 4.4 in order to get Android L when it comes out (if it actually gives us any improvement - Kit Kat didn't, IMO).
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

LOL I made sure I did that one the first day I got the phone, but thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Also, go to settings>wifi>menu button> advanced and see if Wifi always scanning is turned on.
    If it is, turn it off and see if you see any improvement.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    1) That 72% doesn't mean 72% of the battery charge, it means 72% of the 51% drain shown in the graph. (You have 49% left, so you've used 51%.) That's 36% of the battery charge.

2) The first few days, any update is going to be using wifi or mobile data a lot, syncing things up. Not only the things in Google sync, but OS things as well.

3) After an update, you should at least clear user cache. Clearing Dalvik cache may help (after the first boot, which will seem to take forever). A complete factory reset might also help, but unless you have everything, including your data, backed up in a way that's easy to restore (like a Helium backup including apps), I would save that as a last resort.

4) I agree with your topic, which is why I'm still on 4.3. The only advantage I see to 4.4 is that I may have to upgrade to 4.4 in order to get Android L when it comes out (if it actually gives us any improvement - Kit Kat didn't, IMO).
    correct I do realize that, but like most of us we pretty much know our phones patterns, behavior, and usage for our typical days. I just knew right away that it definitely was not acting the same. I turned off google+ and now that had helped, but during the day I noticed that boat browser was using a huge amount now. It does not seem as if it has been optimized for K K yet. I turned that off and installed dolphin and opera and things seem to be better.as of 9:00 pm I have 23% left with 13hrs. since taken off charger and over 3 hrs. screen time. Much better and I'm sure it will be better yet now that boat browser was disabled later this after noon. Thanks to everyone with there suggestions
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

oh btw a reset might still be on the horizon unfortunately. After the update there is a lot of lag when exiting an app and hitting the home button. It also does this when i wake it up. I have the animation and transition turned off, this had been when I first got the phone and it was fine. Just another pitfall of an update

Global Posts
    19,899 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim71 View Post
    oh btw a reset might still be on the horizon unfortunately. After the update there is a lot of lag when exiting an app and hitting the home button. It also does this when i wake it up. I have the animation and transition turned off
    Double-press the Home button. That should bring up S Voice. Press Menu, then Settings and turn off "Open via the home key" When you press Home, the phone is waiting to see if you press it again - that's most of that "lag". (Of course, if you want that function, you have to put up with the lag.)
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim71 View Post
    In the past I have always left gps only on all the time, while not allowing it to use the wireless network for location services and that worked for me without causing any large battery drain,so this is how I still have it set up. If other means don't help than I will also try that. Thanks
    Enabling GPS does not actually make the GPS work. It has to be called by an app to work, like maps for example. That said, there are a few native apps that will call on it from time to time, and I have disabled them all, except for maps. With those permissions enabled, the GPS will work from time to time, but not to your benefit, only to Google's.

You can use App Ops 4.3/4.4 to disable the "Location" permissions option for each app. Using the setup below, you'll never see the GPS come on unless you use something like maps, or an app that you downloaded that requests GPS, which again, can be permission disabled if you believe it's not needed for that app.

They are:

1) Android System
    2) Unified Daemon
    3) Google Search
    4) Phone
    5) Browser (Internet and / or Chrome)
    6) Google Play Store
    7) Weather widget
    8) Video Player

There may be more on your phone, but I never see my GPS indicator come on unless I'm using maps or other apps that I have specifically allowed to use location. I have zero loss of battery due to GPS/ location. I use GPS Status and Toolbox to assist the GPS and it cuts down the satellite acquisition time dramatically - if you turn on the "Auto Download AGPS data" feature.

Battery drain even without doing this should be very marginal, unless you have apps requesting locations quite often.
    anon8380037 likes this.