Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rukbat
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By MBSLK
  • 1 Post By FBA
  • 2 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy note 3 SM-N900 GPS! No way to navigate!

Hello all!

Samsung Galaxy note 3 SM-N900 GPS does not work!
    How to get the GPS working in Argentina, Buenos Aires. The Operator I use here is "Personal". It stays in "Searching for GPS" forever, when trying to navigate!

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy note 3 SM-N900 GPS! No way to navigate!

Hi and Welcome to Android Central.

1st off - Good luck against Switzerland. You may not want to post again if you lose. ( joke!)
    That's if you are Argentinian of course.

Now, has GPS ever worked for you before, or have you used Android in the past?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi Madd54!

Viva Argentina, thou I live in Europe, hehe!
    I have used GPS with Samsung Galaxy S2. It worked in Buenos Aires and equally in Europe too.. . Never tried Galaxy Note 3 GPS elsewhere.
    Any ideas? Remember this is SM-N900

Global Posts
    20,067 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Install GPS Status and Toolbox. That will tell you if the GPS radio is working. If not, bring the phone back and ask for a repair or replacement. (Sometimes the antenna just isn't making contact and, if the carrier has a good repair department, they can fix it in about 10 minutes.)
    anon8380037 and MBSLK like this.

Yeh. That's the app. Also there's some cure by tightening four screws 90® I think. Just wanted to know if you were aware of various settings. (Just been on a coastal walk and now a long drive home.)

Keep this running and you'll get help.
    There's a service menu that checks the gyro and accelerometer and screen and such, but not the GPS directly.
    *#0*#

MBSLK likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Ok, thanks!
    Installed that App. The GPS radio, as you say, seems to work!
    Then I opened the back cover and placed the phone screen down, battery up on the table. Tightened the screws and noticed, one of the screws was missing from the lower right hand corner. At least it looks like it should have a screw, too. Tried to place one of the other screws to that place, but that place seems not to have thread. Quite strange!

Quote Originally Posted by MBSLK View Post
    Ok, thanks!
    Installed that App. The GPS radio, as you say, seems to work!
    Then I opened the back cover and placed the phone screen down, battery up on the table. Tightened the screws and noticed, one of the screws was missing from the lower right hand corner. At least it looks like it should have a screw, too. Tried to place one of the other screws to that place, but that place seems not to have thread. Quite strange!
    Wow. Well done. I don't think I would have tried the screws unless I had the right screwdriver but maybe it's easy. I thought the store could do it while you wait. I know others say they did it themselves. I will have a look at mine this evening.

t works most of the time for me, but it has decided quite a few times that I am in a different country altogether. Something to do with AccuWeather most likely.

You say you may have a screw missing (people say that about me all the time), or maybe it has three, but I hope you start getting it to function properly - and it would be interesting if it was the screws. Thanks.

Viva La Suisse - or, I mean Argentina!
    Well whichever side you are rooting for -

MBSLK likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

to Ah Argentina won, then Viva La Argentina! Wow!

Today I used my old Nokia Lumia 800 to navigate - with dowloaded maps. Works perfectly without any assisting operator!

But back to SM-N900. I´ll go and ask some help from a Samsung shop here, mañana o mañana of mañana = near future! Definitely I want it working!

-- I installed that GPS Status App also to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8,0" and compared the functionality with SM-N900. In Tablet the compass and the green circle and the bigger brown ball moved both including the compass searching rotation. In the phone only the circle and the dot moved, I cannot explain better, because I do not really understand what is happening there!

cheers
    anon8380037 likes this.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

I have used that app. If the GPS receiver works in that app, then it works in maps...so if you say it's working in that app, you can see the satellites? It will absolutely indicate GPS, if it sees satellites. If you can, then the unit isn't defective and the problem you have would only amount to it being a software issue with Google maps. That's an easier fix.

This shot has no GPS data...but look at the short yellow bars below the compass, on the line. Each bar is a satellite in the process of being acquired.

Samsung Galaxy note 3 SM-N900 GPS! No way to navigate!-screenshot_2014-07-01-23-17-24.jpg

This shot has GPS data...and now look at the short green bars below the compass, on the line. Each bar is a satellite in that has been acquired. You see a total of 10 satellites of out a possible 21. You see a latitude and a longitude as well, which is my exact GPS position at the time of the screenshot

Samsung Galaxy note 3 SM-N900 GPS! No way to navigate!-screenshot_2014-07-01-23-19-16.jpg
    MBSLK likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Hi FBA!

May be I did not make myself clear and you could not notice that in my last reply I was comparing my Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900 to my Galaxy Tab 3 8". The latter has shown yellow and green bars exactly as in the images you have added to your reply... and the Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900 did not show those yellow and green bars at all, brown ball and green circle were moving but the image of compass was fixed, like painted onto the screen.................. So still hardware problem?

I´ll come back after having checked it by Samsung

Global Posts
    20,067 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

The compass is the magnetic sensor. It's thrown off by being near almost anything with iron in it. I can calibrate mine, walk around the house for 10 minutes and it's uncalibrated. That's not the phone, it's the fact that almost anything that can be magnetized has thousands of times the strength of the magnetism we get from the planet, so the sensor is constantly being "recalibrated". If you calibrate it in the woods, where there's almost nothing ferric, it should hold long enough to get you out of the woods, but don't count on it if you're in a populated area. (Even overhead power lines and phone lines can miscalibrate it.)

But that has nothing to do with the GPS. That's a radio receiver, receiving signals from satellites. There are no adjustments except, inside the phone, the springiness of the contact from the radio to the antenna. If the contacts aren't pressing on the antenna wires hard enough, you get no signal - to GPS Status or to a navigation app. If you get green bars in GPS status (you need at least 5 - more than that just make the accuracy a little better), the GPS radio is working. If Maps isn't working, it's a problem with the app. Install any other app, like Mapquest, and it should work. (They may not have street-level maps for South America, I've never looked - but it will show you where you are as closely as the map's resolution is.)

If there are no green bars in GPS status, then if there are yellow bars, it's going to take a while to get your first fix since you turned the GPS on. You're not getting AGPRS data (pseudo-GPS data from the phone towers). If all you get are brown bars after 5 minutes or so, there's something wrong with the antenna (it's a different antenna than the one the phone itself uses), the antenna contacts or the GPS radio. Brown bars mean no satellite signal is being received. Yellow bars are signals that have been received, but the GPS firmware hasn't figured out which satellite that one is yet. It has to receive an entire transmission from the satellite to figure that out. If there's a burst of noise, or you walk under a metal overhang or a wet tree when it's trying to receive that signal, it's going to have to start again at the beginning of that satellite's next transmission. A green bar means that it knows which satellite that one is, and it's using that data to figure out your location. Once it knows the satellite, all it has to receive from it is the time at the satellite (which is down to about 3 billionths of a second). The difference between the time the satellite says it is and the time the firmware has figured out it is tells it exactly how far away the satellite is, Since it knows where the satellite is relative to the planet, it knows, with 3 satellites, where it is on the planet. The 4th one adds elevation. (Draw 3 circles on a map. Where they all overlap is your location. A 4th circle, "drawn" at right angles to the map, will locate your elevation. The example is simplified almost to the point of being useless, but if I posted a long list of equations here, no one would read them, and almost no one would understand them.) It needs 5 to figure out exactly what time it's supposed to be. (The time you get from the cell towers doesn't have fine enough resolution to determine your location more accurately than about what continent you're on. The difference between the time received from the satellite and the time determined from all 5 of them - the time it "actually" is - is measured in the hundred millionths of a second at most. Radio signals, like light, travel pretty fast.)
    anon8380037 and MBSLK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    The compass is the magnetic sensor. It's thrown off by being near almost anything with iron in it + ALL wot you just said!
    That sounds definitive to me. Thank you very much. Very well written.

I take it you don't clean the grills at your local burger joint - although with the poor economy .....!

1. So tightening some screws as others have done may actually help, as you explained.

2. My GPS navigation when I have had to use it has mostly been very good and accurate here in Southern England. I have had two periods though, the first for a few weeks, and again for 2 days recently, where Google Maps have started locating me in other countries (west of Paris in the same spot for days off and on); 250 miles north in North Wales / Liverpool area, and just recently in the capital of Pakistan.
    ( I had a thread. Google Maps. Why am I in Paris again ? )

I have been surmising from another similar incident posted about a GS4 that it was linked to AccuWeather. Your information is food for thought if it happens again. In my case though it's unlikely to be hardware as it works most of the time, unless something is loose.

In the OP's case I hope this helps further to solve the issue. As he is not a native, I wonder what the amount of high rise buildings, terrain and network infrastructure is like in Sao Paulo and beyond, though it seems phone specific.

Great information.
    You could have come out with it earlier ......
    but in another thread you probably already have done.

Samsung has a page on Facebook, I have taken my disappointment with this phone to Facebook and encourage you all to do so as well facebook.com/SamsungMobileUSA?fref=nf It will not matter if you are American I've gone there simply about the bluetooth updates Samsung makes has made our navigation systems obsolete for the very important feature of hands free while driving. You have to bring the disgust to them they're not looking for it.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

Can you perhaps explain more in detail about what your issue is? I didn't understand exactly what you meant in your post above...