Error message: "Damaged SD Card" - How to resolve? Was fine for many months

KeenAndroid3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Suddenly I now have an error message on my Samsung Verizon Note 3:

"Damaged SD Card" - Of course, this is where I've been backing up all of my data.

What steps should I take before attempting to reformat the card?

What is the usual outcome? New SD card replacement?

This happened just yesterday (been a while since the 4.4.2 update).

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Move any apps you have on the card back to the internal storage. Remove the card from the phone and attach to your computer. Copy the card to your computer or backup drive. Format the card in Fat32. Put it back in the phone and format the card in the phone. You can then see if it continues to have errors. But I wouldn't put anything important on it. Personally, I'd replace it myself and just use it as an emergency spare, if at all.

KeenAndroid3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I think I will just replace it. I thought maybe there might be a 'trick' like powering down, taking card out & re-seating it, etc.

I think I will just replace the card. Any good brand recommendations? I'm willing to pay little extra for better quality. Thanks again.

Move any apps you have on the card back to the internal storage. Remove the card from the phone and attach to your computer. Copy the card to your computer or backup drive. Format the card in Fat32. Put it back in the phone and format the card in the phone. You can then see if it continues to have errors. But I wouldn't put anything important on it. Personally, I'd replace it myself and just use it as an emergency spare, if at all.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I get the Sandisk cards that have a lifetime warranty. Those are most of the Extreme and Ultra series but look at the specific card to make sure. If you're outside the US the warranty may differ.

KeenAndroid3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
How do I find out which apps are actually using the SD card? and how do I move an app back to internal storage from sd card use?

I see quite a few listed under settings / sd card ....but most show '0' memory used.

Sorry, I'm a beginner regarding apps and dont know much about how they use resources.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Go to Application Manager - the SD card column. Anything with a check mark is on the SD Card. Click the app there and then click Move to device storage.

If you have apps set to store data on the SD card, like camera apps or movie or music downloads or documents, etc. moving the app to the SD card will not change that setting. You should back up that data to your computer. If you are going to not use an SD Card at all anymore like you said in your other thread, then go through any apps like that and change the storage location to internal storage. Then move your backed up data there.

jbag43567

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Suddenly I now have an error message on my Samsung Verizon Note 3:

"Damaged SD Card" - Of course, this is where I've been backing up all of my data.

What steps should I take before attempting to reformat the card?

What is the usual outcome? New SD card replacement?

This happened just yesterday (been a while since the 4.4.2 update).

Woo hoo! Figured it out! Load the card on your computer. Open up the card drive. There will be some folders simply called "android". It was the only folders that when I would click on them it said "not responding" then after a few seconds it would open. I had three folders named that and responded the same way. Deleted all 3, put the card in my phone, and bam! Everything was back!!! No format required.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci