Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
07-06-2014 10:32 AM
15 replies
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 2 Post By jpr
  • 2 Post By mavrrick
  • 1 Post By jpr
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By jpr
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default About Micro sd card.

    Hi there guys I want to ask that do I need to format new sd card? In which format?

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
  2. #2  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    I would stick it into the phone and format it in the phone.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Amir likes this.
  3. #3  
    jpr
    jpr is offline
    jpr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,701 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    Hi there guys I want to ask that do I need to format new sd card? In which format?

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    It's best to format it in the phone, but if you need or want to format it from your computer, use FAT32.
    anon8380037 and Amir like this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Safest is to format in the phone. Then you know it is what the phone likes.

    If you want to do it from a computer then I would first ask what size your sd Card is. If it is less then 32GB just use FAT32. If it is 32GB GB or greater then format it as evFAT. The Note 3 supports it and you won't have the 4GB file size limit. There aren't many occasions were that will be needed but it is nice to have if you do.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Amir and anon8380037 like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    Safest is to format in the phone. Then you know it is what the phone likes.

    If you want to do it from a computer then I would first ask what size your sd Card is. If it is less then 32GB just use FAT32. If it is 32GB GB or greater then format it as evFAT. The Note 3 supports it and you won't have the 4GB file size limit. There aren't many occasions were that will be needed but it is nice to have if you do.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Ooooh. Fancy! (as we say here).

    Does that mean you could film longer videos, or is that down to the camera. I don't need it myself but many were complaining about the video limit especially in 4k.


    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
  6. #6  
    jpr
    jpr is offline
    jpr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,701 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Ooooh. Fancy! (as we say here).

    Does that mean you could film longer videos, or is that down to the camera. I don't need it myself but many were complaining about the video limit especially in 4k.


    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    That won't change the camera file size limit.
    anon8380037 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Correct, it has the same file size limit even on sd

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    anon8380037 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Can someone tell me how to format sd card in phone?

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
  9. #9  
    jpr
    jpr is offline
    jpr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,701 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    Can someone tell me how to format sd card in phone?

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Settings - General - Storage - Format SD Card
    Amir likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Thanks guys. 👍

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Correct, it has the same file size limit even on sd

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    That limit is time based not size. The max 4k video is 5 min. My understanding is that 1080p can go for much longer and possibly go over the 4GB limit I if you record long enough.

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. #12  
    jpr
    jpr is offline
    jpr's Avatar

    Posts
    1,701 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    That limit is time based not size. The max 4k video is 5 min. My understanding is that 1080p can go for much longer and possibly go over the 4GB limit I if you record long enough.

    Posted via Android Central App
    No, there is a file size limit of 4GB for video recording in the camera app.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    I haven't bought a spare yet but had decided to go £3 more for the Anker over the Samsung. I almost bought an Anker last year for another phone. I was going to pull the trigger on Amazon today.

    Does anyone know if I can order from Amazon.com to ship to the UK, as Amazon.co.uk don't do the Anker twin pack with a charger that @Almeuit linked to a while ago. That was great value.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    I haven't bought a spare yet but had decided to go £3 more for the Anker over the Samsung. I almost bought an Anker last year for another phone. I was going to pull the trigger on Amazon today.

    Does anyone know if I can order from Amazon.com to ship to the UK, as Amazon.co.uk don't do the Anker twin pack with a charger that @Almeuit linked to a while ago. That was great value.
    I think that you can, though you might have to pay international shipping. I have bought from amazon. Co. UK before and shipped to the states

    Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk
    anon8380037 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    There is a transcend 32gb for $13.72 @ amazon

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00APC...0-20&m1k=vb_ac


    Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk
  16. #16  

    Default Re: About Micro sd card.

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I think that you can, though you might have to pay international shipping. I have bought from amazon. Co. UK before and shipped to the states

    Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk
    Thanks.
    Dumbo here! I thought I was posting in the Anker battery thread.
    I will check the cost later.

Similar Threads

  1. Lenovo sim card not being recognized
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-26-2015, 10:24 AM
  2. Can I use SD card if I format to ext ?
    By xperia2995 in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 12:21 PM
  3. putting everthing on sd card.
    By Amanda Parkey in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 11:26 AM
  4. My new Galaxy S5 cannot see my old apps from the SD Card
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 08:18 AM
  5. A question about saved data
    By JhettDark in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 06:23 AM

Posting Permissions