'Your Device Has Been Modified'... Please HELP

c0419

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
i rooted my note 3 and tried to flash twrp but was unsuccessful. so i unrooted the phone. i tried to search for an update to make sure it would work, and it says 'your device has been modified. software updates are not available.'

i searched this and most people who have the problem haven't rooted their phones and fix the problem by taking their sd card out and restarting the phone. this doesn't work for me. and i haven't found a fix for my particular situation.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You might have to flash a stock ROM. Files can be found on Sammobile or Samsung updates. com. You would need to use Odin to reflash those ROMs.

c0419

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
i'm still on the stock rom. i didnt flash anything. would i still need to flash the stock rom? and how do i make sure i get the most recent one?

jeepmanjr

May 2, 2014
Visit site
i rooted my note 3 and tried to flash twrp but was unsuccessful. so i unrooted the phone. i tried to search for an update to make sure it would work, and it says 'your device has been modified. software updates are not available.'

i searched this and most people who have the problem haven't rooted their phones and fix the problem by taking their sd card out and restarting the phone. this doesn't work for me. and i haven't found a fix for my particular situation.

any help is greatly appreciated.

You didn't say who your carrier is or your phone model or even if it's booting properly. You'd have better luck with some help if you gave more info...just sayin'. ;)

c0419

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
sorry, i have the sprint note 3. everything is working completely fine. i rooted it last week and tried to flash twrp but couldn't get it to work. so i unrooted. everything is completely fine. but i tried searching for an update just to make sure it will work, and that's the error message i'm getting. other than that everything is normal.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
sorry, i have the sprint note 3. everything is working completely fine. i rooted it last week and tried to flash twrp but couldn't get it to work. so i unrooted. everything is completely fine. but i tried searching for an update just to make sure it will work, and that's the error message i'm getting. other than that everything is normal.

You probably tripped the Knox counter either when you rooted or when you tried to install TWRP. If so, you'll have to get your updates through Odin or Kies like the rest of us who are rooted.

tdk1988

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Flashing the stock rom via Odin will fix it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Last edited:

c0419

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
so that means i have to root the phone again right? after i flash the rom can i unroot?

also is this the most up-to-date stock rom? Android 4.4.2 NC5 Firmware [LATEST][Wifi-Calling]

tdk1988

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes you will have to root the phone again after flashing the stock rom.
Flashing the stock rom removed root and resets the binary counter (it did on my I9500 device status came back to official after flashing stock rom)
Not sure about the latest stick rom but you can download it from Sam mobile or Samsung updates choosing the correct variant according to your country and device.

Sent from my GT-I9300 CM11 M8 4.4.4 using Mobile Nations app

c0419

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
wouldn't i have to root BEFORE i flash the rom? like doesn't my phone have to be rooted in order to flash something? sorry if im being too precise i just dont wanna mess my phone up or waste time doing the wrong thing then have to fix it and start back at square one

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
wouldn't i have to root BEFORE i flash the rom? like doesn't my phone have to be rooted in order to flash something? sorry if im being too precise i just dont wanna mess my phone up or waste time doing the wrong thing then have to fix it and start back at square one

Once your Knox counter is tripped there is no way to reset it, at least not yet. You can use Odin to flash a stock ROM without being rooted. That won't fix your Knox counter, but you should be able to get your updates first, and then root again.

If all you want to do is install TWRP while you're rooted, there is a specific sequence to get it to stick. There are multiple threads about it that you should read, but I think you install it and then when it starts to reboot, you have to hold the volume up and power buttons to get into recovery. TWRP will then load and you're good to go.