Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By anon8380037
  • 1 Post By belodion
  • 2 Post By jim_h#AC
  • 2 Post By anon8380037
  • 2 Post By jim_h#AC
  • 2 Post By belodion
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default BBC Weather App Battery Drain

I've been invited to look in on this forum so here I am. I don't have a Note 3 but had occasion to comment on one in my thread in the LG G3 forum. Over there, they're twittering on endlessly about signal problems, battery problems, rooting, overheating...by contrast the people here seem relatively happy.

I'll bring out my BBC Weather App card again to justify being here...anybody else been having battery drain problems with it? In the UK you need a good weather app. We have a great deal of weather....the stuff comes at us from all directions, even from below. Only a few months ago people had to swim to work and sit at home of an evening in armchairs that floated about the room in two feet of water.

I've done the normal misbehaving-app things, and sent a feedback email, but wondered whether I was alone? Twice it's given trouble and at the moment it's uninstalled.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: BBC Weather App Battery Drain

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    I've been invited to look in on this forum so here I am. I don't have a Note 3 but had occasion to comment on one in my thread in the LG G3 forum. Over there, they're twittering on endlessly about signal problems, battery problems, rooting, overheating...by contrast the people here seem relatively happy.

I'll bring out my BBC Weather App card again to justify being here...anybody else been having battery drain problems with it? In the UK you need a good weather app. We have a great deal of weather....the stuff comes at us from all directions, even from below. Only a few months ago people had to swim to work and sit at home of an evening in armchairs that floated about the room in two feet of water.

I've done the normal misbehaving-app things, and sent a feedback email, but wondered whether I was alone? Twice it's given trouble and at the moment it's uninstalled.

We are probably 'happier' now we have figured out more than half the things this device can do. We are also through the Black Hole that was the Kitkat update.

I was not on the Note 3 forums when they started so there were probably a lot of complaints and issues then; you only need to catch old threads that are resurrected occasionally here and see the size of the posts and views - phenomenal!

I beg to differ that we have a great deal of weather here all the time. We don't have any between 11.30 pm and 7.00 am.
    Lucky for me I am asleep then.

There have been great threads of support on AC for US members experiencing severe floods, storms, fires etc. - so our weather is puny in comparison most of the time. Those floods we had were scary though.
    belodion likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

(Yes, I was a bit worried about my jocular approach. I meant no disrespect to all experiencing extremes of weather in other parts of the world. I was just laughing at something peculiarly British.)

anon8380037 likes this.

(Yes, I was a bit worried about my jocular approach. I meant no disrespect to all experiencing extremes of weather in other parts of the world. I was just laughing at something peculiarly British
    It's all good. We're used to it and we don't care

Regarding your post....I have, somewhat reluctantly, removed all weather apps from my N3. I say reluctantly because being a typical Englishman, I'm obsessed with the weather. Anyway, I haven't yet found a weather app that doesn't drain the battery excessively. As an alternative, I now just browse to the Met Office website when I need an update. Works for me and my battery says thanks.

Incidentally, I haven't installed more than 3 or 4 weather apps/widgets, so I'd imagine there are at least some out there that behave themselves.
    anon8380037 and belodion like this.

(Yes, I was a bit worried about my jocular approach. I meant no disrespect to all experiencing extremes of weather in other parts of the world. I was just laughing at something peculiarly British.)

We only do jocular here!
    We don't have life threatening weather 'most' of the time, we just have inconsistent, out of season, dark, miserable weather (this week excepted) and it's probably too much for any app.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    belodion and jim_h#AC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    We only do jocular here!
    We don't have life threatening weather 'most' of the time
    You forgot the qualifier...'unless you live in Yorkshire!'

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    we just have inconsistent, out of season, dark, miserable weather (this week excepted) and it's probably too much for any app.
    Absolutely true! BUT, we do have tea and scones to cheer us up. Summer was on a Thursday this year, which was a little surprising to me.
    belodion and anon8380037 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Well I suppose it's JUST possible that the Met Office knows something about weather so I'll bear them in mind.

Meanwhile the swifts are screaming high above me and will be with us for a few more weeks yet....one of the sounds of summer.

anon8380037 and jim_h#AC like this.

I have a Galaxy Y which used to run flat by 6pm. Since removing BBC weather app, BBC news and Dropbox apps and also stopped any auto update and notification in Google Play Store, it has 70-80% at 6pm. However by elimination using my spare phone I believe the constant location updates on the Weather app was the main culprit.

To answer the original post, yes BBC Weather app drained my Galaxy Y (Gingerbread) .