Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg Wilkins
  • 1 Post By Greg Wilkins
  • 2 Post By Jalopiejoe
  • 1 Post By Madd54
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 battery drains really quickly

My phone is about 8 months old and for the last 3 months I've had endless battery problems. It started when (over a two week course) the battery slowly got worse and worse until it wouldn't last any longer than 12 hours on a full charge (and that's with power saving mode).

I bought a new battery, a genuine samsung battery and it was even worse than the old one, it never lasted more than 10 hours at a push. I then bought a non-genuine 4200mAh which lasted about 12 hours, for a week and then it expanded until the battery cover unclipped and the battery no longer fit in the phone.
    So I bought another battery, a genuine one, and yet again it lasted no more than 12 hours. Just over a week later the battery started leaking! Now I'm on the 5th battery (genuine) and this one has never lasted any more than 3 hours on power saving mode.

It's got to the point where there is absolutely no point of buying a new battery, and I can't take my phone anywhere as it'll die before I get to the door.

I bought it new online and online sellers are never helpful when it comes down to warranty.

What could the problem be? I mean all I can think of that it could be, is the phone.
    Thanks πŸ˜‘

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Note 3 battery drains really quickly

Quote Originally Posted by jr92897 View Post
    My phone is about 8 months old and for the last 3 months I've had endless battery problems. It started when (over a two week course) the battery slowly got worse and worse until it wouldn't last any longer than 12 hours on a full charge (and that's with power saving mode).

I bought a new battery, a genuine samsung battery and it was even worse than the old one, it never lasted more than 10 hours at a push. I then bought a non-genuine 4200mAh which lasted about 12 hours, for a week and then it expanded until the battery cover unclipped and the battery no longer fit in the phone.
    So I bought another battery, a genuine one, and yet again it lasted no more than 12 hours. Just over a week later the battery started leaking! Now I'm on the 5th battery (genuine) and this one has never lasted any more than 3 hours on power saving mode.

It's got to the point where there is absolutely no point of buying a new battery, and I can't take my phone anywhere as it'll die before I get to the door.

I bought it new online and online sellers are never helpful when it comes down to warranty.

What could the problem be? I mean all I can think of that it could be, is the phone.
    Thanks ν ½νΈ‘

Sounds like a bad voltage regulator. And/or firmware problems caused by an OS update. Have you done a factory reset to check this?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have done a factory reset which unfortunately did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jr92897 View Post
    I have done a factory reset which unfortunately did nothing.

Then it sounds like your less-than-one-year-old phone is genuinely defective. And should be replaced. Hopefully warranty service would apply.
    V J

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

Screenshots of your battery usage would really help us try and troubleshoot your issue.

Was browsing yesterday about why I had power on lag, like 5 seconds, anyways, someone suggested pulling the SD card and try, well I ripped that baby out and the lag is gone and today I've gone 13+ hours and I have 72 percent battery! Wtf ! Not sure why this worked but I'm extremely happy! Give it a try

Here you go

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Note 3 battery drains really quickly-2014-07-22-19-34-33.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wilkins View Post
    Was browsing yesterday about why I had power on lag, like 5 seconds, anyways, someone suggested pulling the SD card and try, well I ripped that baby out and the lag is gone and today I've gone 13+ hours and I have 72 percent battery! Wtf ! Not sure why this worked but I'm extremely happy! Give it a try

Bad piece of junk SD card basically. Either get like a Genuine Samsung or a Sandisk PRO if you want fast and reliable. Or what was in there?

Here you go

So I assume that was with less than an hour of screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    Bad piece of junk SD card basically. Either get like a Genuine Samsung or a Sandisk PRO if you want fast and reliable. Or what was in there?

So I assume that was with less than an hour of screen time.
    It was a Samsung 8gb card, not a lot of screen time which is the norm for me, I drive a lot as I am a plumber, so usually I drain quickly from what I thought was network switching, so I've factory reset before trying to fix that, this time I removed the card and bam, it worked! Today I've had more screen time and I'm at 73 percent at around 12 hours! Maybe you can try and see if it works for you that way I'll know it isn't me! Lol

shortwave8669 likes this.

Sounds like an indexing issue related to files on SD card.

Some users (who move many files on/off the phone) find using Samsung Kies rather than just drag/droping them helps...if that is the cause of your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by shortwave8669 View Post
    Sounds like an indexing issue related to files on SD card.

Some users (who move many files on/off the phone) find using Samsung Kies rather than just drag/droping them helps...if that is the cause of your problem.
    I have no files on my SD, everything is on phone and its always been that way, that's why I was dumbfounded, I'm just happy as a clam now

shortwave8669 likes this.

Are clams really that happy? πŸ˜†πŸ‘Œ
    (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist! )

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size Does Matter!"
    JimSmith94 and Madd54 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopiejoe View Post
    Are clams really that happy? πŸ˜†πŸ‘Œ
    (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist! )