Best free Facetime like app

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So what is considered the best overall video chat app that works like FaceTime? I know there's no android app out that's as good as FaceTime yet for some reason, but what's at least halfway decent?

I've used Tango, but all the ads for games and junk annoy me plus it's just not intuitive. I'm about to try Skype, but I've read a lot of negatives on it. Hangouts is not an option because the people I want to use it with use iphones and have no clue what hangouts is. Thanks in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
So what is considered the best overall video chat app that works like FaceTime? I know there's no android app out that's as good as FaceTime yet for some reason, but what's at least halfway decent?

I've used Tango, but all the ads for games and junk annoy me plus it's just not intuitive. I'm about to try Skype, but I've read a lot of negatives on it. Hangouts is not an option because the people I want to use it with use iphones and have no clue what hangouts is. Thanks in advance.

Hangouts is on ios I believe so just tell them to use it... Other then that I would try Skype. I use it all the time with no problems

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hangouts is on ios I believe so just tell them to use it... Other then that I would try Skype. I use it all the time with no problems

Thx man I'll give Skype a shot. Can you do it on mobile data using a free account?

Also, have you ever tried to get an ios user to do anything that's not built in to an iPhone? I'm convinced that in general ios users are the least technical of any other smart phone users on the planet.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thx man I'll give Skype a shot. Can you do it on mobile data using a free account?

Also, have you ever tried to get an ios user to do anything that's not built in to an iPhone? I'm convinced that in general ios users are the least technical of any other smart phone users on the planet.

Skype to Skype users is free even on data.

Some of my friends have ios but use Skype so it depends in your friends

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

I was gonna say hangouts too but I feel the same way. My friends that have iPhones, trying to get them to install something cross platform is next to impossible. I guess ignorance is bliss.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I was gonna say hangouts too but I feel the same way. My friends that have iPhones, trying to get them to install something cross platform is next to impossible. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Typical of iPhone users. They expect everyone to conform to them whether they actually can or not. That includes my own daughter who goes so far as to make me use my work phone (iPhone 4s) because it works better for her (video AND texting) when my Note 3 is so much better for ME! Rotten children. :-\

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Hmmmm too bad I only know one other person that has an Android phone and uses Hangouts lol. Well thanks for the info.

I see no problem with Hangouts, at least between Android users. It works great for me and both my hubby and one daughter use it. Oh and a soon-to-be ex-son-in-law but who cares about him. ;)

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hahaha ok guys thanks for the responses. As much as I hate to admit it, I think FaceTime actually does the best job of video calling (right now). That being said I'm not giving up my Note 3 just because everyone else has an iPhone lol.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Well Tango is not very intuitive (not easy to figure out how to vid call for some - it's buried in the text area) and it has lots of other junk that gets annoying, such as ads and games. Plus it wants to send spam invites out to your contact list. I just don't care for the way Tango works.

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I've got a question for those using Skype. I've got an account and a family member has an account and we use to be able to Skype one another. However the last time we did that was a year or two ago. Now when either of us tries to connect via Skype we get a popup message saying we need to purchase credits. If doesn't matter which one of us tries to make the call, we both get the same message.

Is Skype no longer free?

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I've got a question for those using Skype. I've got an account and a family member has an account and we use to be able to Skype one another. However the last time we did that was a year or two ago. Now when either of us tries to connect via Skype we get a popup message saying we need to purchase credits. If doesn't matter which one of us tries to make the call, we both get the same message.

Is Skype no longer free?
My daughter and I Skype almost everyday and yes it's still free, I'm on a note 2 and she's on an iPhone 5. I don't know why you're getting that msg. Neither one of us has any credit with Skype

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac