From An Old Flip Phone to Note 3---Too Big a Jump?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the additional responses. Everyone has given me something to think about. I go back and forth and then remember that only Samsung has both the removable battery and SD card. Since I have kept my current flip phone for 9 years, replacing the battery three times, I think that will be important to me. I will take advantage of the two-week trial period, but I think I would only return it if it was truly a terrible phone or clearly had some serious issues. I have been tempted by the Nexus, LG, or even Motorola brands, but I keep coming back to the included stylus and the removable battery, among other things.

One question that isn't limited to Note 3 users is whether anyone else here gets a phone and then keeps it for years? So many here seem to jump every couple years (or even more often) for the latest greatest phone. I am hoping for longevity with this phone. I'd like to find a good, reliable smartphone that I can use for years to come. I don't really need cutting edge, so I don't mind not having the latest OS. I think if I got a Note 3 and had it set up to suit my needs/wants, then I would be happy with it for some years, even without future updates. Is that a feasible plan? I'm pretty thrifty, so I know I'd be happy to keep the same phone for some time as long as it was working well.

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the additional responses. Everyone has given me something to think about. I go back and forth and then remember that only Samsung has both the removable battery and SD card. Since I have kept my current flip phone for 9 years, replacing the battery three times, I think that will be important to me. I will take advantage of the two-week trial period, but I think I would only return it if it was truly a terrible phone or clearly had some serious issues. I have been tempted by the Nexus, LG, or even Motorola brands, but I keep coming back to the included stylus and the removable battery, among other things.

One question that isn't limited to Note 3 users is whether anyone else here gets a phone and then keeps it for years? So many here seem to jump every couple years (or even more often) for the latest greatest phone. I am hoping for longevity with this phone. I'd like to find a good, reliable smartphone that I can use for years to come. I don't really need cutting edge, so I don't mind not having the latest OS. I think if I got a Note 3 and had it set up to suit my needs/wants, then I would be happy with it for some years, even without future updates. Is that a feasible plan? I'm pretty thrifty, so I know I'd be happy to keep the same phone for some time as long as it was working well.
For me, I think having the Note 3 for a long time is feasible. This phone has everything you'd need and probably more since you're coming from a flip phone. As long as you don't download junky apps, you should be good.
A lot of people with issues seems to have either downloaded something or did something to their Note. Not saying all but many times it's the user.

This phone is a mini tablet. If I wasn't such a tech junkie I would probably keep this phone for many many years. Download good quality apps, stay away from spammy site, take care of your phone, and you should be good!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Unlike older flip, candy bar or qwerty phones, I can't see a device that relies solely on touch input lasting many years. I am surprised my Note 3 has lasted 8 months @ 5 hours screen time a day.
The screen / digitizer and pen wacom thingy would eventually need to be swapped, probably at an uneconomic cost.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I would agree with Madd54 on one point. While a flip phone may very well last for many years (basically just calling and texting), expecting smart phone like this to get the same amount of time is probably not realistic. If you are careful with your devices (as I am), I think I could use this for several years before something went wrong. Hard saying since I have a hard time staying with the same device for to long (I too am a tech junkie). On the plus side, should it start to act funny or get laggy, you can always to do a reset and basically start over, kind of like rebuilding your computer.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Around 6 months ago a BBC technology show here made a big deal about the next generation phones would be made up of swappable components, so you could slot in a new camera or cpu or screen I think. Said many big oem's were working on them. I forget the term they used, component phones, modular phones, something like that.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't thought about the touch screen not lasting as long. Maybe a more basic, plain vanilla Android would be better in that case? I don't really need the S-pen, but I do want a stylus to use on the keyboard and navigating through the screen. I hate to give up the other features that I love, though---maybe step back to the S5 or even S4? I really like being able to store the stylus in the phone for convenience and to make sure it's always with me. I wonder if, when the stylus stopped working, I could get a regular capacitive stylus for navigating through the screen and using on the keyboard?

I am careful with my phone and other electronics. DH has had the same iPhone for about four years now, with no issues.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Uh Oh! I've put you off.

The S-Pen functionality should last an awful lot longer than the digitizer that senses our fingers close to the screen. You will be using your fingers far more in practice, as for a lot of things - navigating menus and typing, fingers are quicker.
I got used to using a touch keyboard when I got this bigger screen, though I thought never would.
You tend to finish words/sentences faster with the help of predictions appearing on top (learned from you) .
That's another thing for your list. The SwiftKey keyboard app is a lot easier for me than the stock Samsung keyboard. Many prefer to swipe from key to key and you can do that too.

Maybe it's not the screen first that determines the longevity of a modern smartphone, but the Android updates made available for a certain model. New system updates are made available for roughly 2 years after launch, maybe more for top line phones. When it no longer has the latest version it still works perfectly, but over a longer time many apps will only support newer phones.

I bought 7 versions of the same phone from 2004 - 2012. These days, in 2 years or less (more like 10 - 12 months) you will want to upgrade anyway.

udetymeg.jpg

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Unlike older flip, candy bar or qwerty phones, I can't see a device that relies solely on touch input lasting many years. I am surprised my Note 3 has lasted 8 months @ 5 hours screen time a day.
The screen / digitizer and pen wacom thingy would eventually need to be swapped, probably at an uneconomic cost.
Good point. Never thought of it like that. Maybe the max, 3 years?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Good point. Never thought of it like that. Maybe the max, 3 years?

Who knows. I wouldn't be too surprised at even 5 years with care. Maybe construction methods and materials improve every year. There are an awful lot of "my GS3/GS4 screen has failed" threads in the Q&A's, but we take better care of our Note 3's!
Just saying it would be silly not to allow for failure at even 2 years on occasion.

ADDED: Then there's built in obsolescence or failure of course. They don't want them to last.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My Husband who is not into technology at all; uses it because he has to......went from a dumb phone to the Note 2 and does very well with it! He even became a texter! So I am the tech person in our family and we both use a Note 2. I know your questions are about the Note 3, but I just wanted to say that I am still totally in LOVE with my Note 2.....I will definitely go to Note 3 (yes price is coming down) or 4 in the future. You sound like you are great with technology and I think you won't even look back once you go to the Note 3 or 4!

Things I Love about the Samsung Note Phone:
1. Removable Battery
2. S Pen. I use it every day all day and Love it (my finger nails are just not friendly to the touch senitive screens.....texting, emails, screen shots, navigating web pages, and MORE!
3. Screen Size.....pure love
BEST PHONE I have ever owned! So I say GO FOR IT! Best of Luck to you in your decision!

Last edited:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Who knows. I wouldn't be too surprised at even 5 years with care. Maybe construction methods and materials improve every year. There are an awful lot of "my GS3/GS4 screen has failed" threads in the Q&A's, but we take better care of our Note 3's!
Just saying it would be silly not to allow for failure at even 2 years on occasion.

ADDED: Then there's built in obsolescence or failure of course. They don't want them to last.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
I completely agree, it is so obvious that things are built to fail today in many products! Companies want you to have to 'replace' after a certain amount of years!

Last edited:

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree, it is so obvious that things are built to fail today in many products! Companies want you to have to 'replace' after a certain amount of years!
This is my husband's theory as well. We've been an Apple fan for a long time. He has the iPhone 5, never been dropped or damaged. The man barely texts but loves going online to browse. Doesn't download much apps, now it's acting up and we really think it's time for a new phone.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Definitely get the Note 3, and definitely wait until after the Note 4 comes out and the price of the 3 drops.

The ability to swap batteries is also a huge plus.

You had your current for for 10 years... You'll be fine with this one, so long as nothing out of your control happens to it.

Definitely get a screen protector though. A lot of places will even put it on for you.

A case is up to you, but I would encourage it. There are plenty to choose from.

Good luck!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This is my husband's theory as well. We've been an Apple fan for a long time. He has the iPhone 5, never been dropped or damaged. The man barely texts but loves going online to browse. Doesn't download much apps, now it's acting up and we really think it's time for a new phone.
That is a perfect example! So many products are just plain 'disposable' these days! We sell Real Estate and so many times a buyer will say "oh, that furnace or Water Heater, etc. is like 15 years old." We say, Yes, that 'might' be a very good thing!"

I still have a 36" Mitsubishi TV (largest tube at the time) in a secondary bedroom that is 22 years old and still works perfectly! No it is not HD etc. but NONE of my newer Bigger HD TV's have even come close! Which brings me back to this post that I think we have been conditioned to replace our phones at 2 years give or take a little!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If you can ever download a very recent 3 part tv programme from the BBC it is fascinating. I only caught the first part. All about built in failure times etc. covering major world manufacturers, also smartphones.
It dates back to the 1930's and beyond.

1st big player was Osram light bulbs. They were confident bulbs would last 2000 - 2500 hours but were persuaded to advertise as good for only 1000 hours.

"The Men Who Made Us Spend."

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Definitely get the Note 3, and definitely wait until after the Note 4 comes out and the price of the 3 drops.

The ability to swap batteries is also a huge plus.

You had your current for for 10 years... You'll be fine with this one, so long as nothing out of your control happens to it.

Definitely get a screen protector though. A lot of places will even put it on for you.

A case is up to you, but I would encourage it. There are plenty to choose from.

Good luck!

Thanks, I hope so. I think if I can get it set up and running well, I would be happy to stick with it for a long time, if it keeps working. While there might be newer, faster, better apps that are developed for more current phones, I will probably be content with what I already have on the phone for a long time to come.

I am still debating glass screen protectors versus the plastic ones. Any opinion? Where do they actually put the screen protector on for you? I really hate doing that. As far as a case goes, I've already gotten this one, in anticipation of actually purchasing the Note 3.

Amazon.com: Evecase Classic Premium Synthetic Leather Flip Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III - Black (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and All Versions Compatible): Cell Phones & Accessories

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I hope so. I think if I can get it set up and running well, I would be happy to stick with it for a long time, if it keeps working. While there might be newer, faster, better apps that are developed for more current phones, I will probably be content with what I already have on the phone for a long time to come.

I am still debating glass screen protectors versus the plastic ones. Any opinion? Where do they actually put the screen protector on for you? I really hate doing that. As far as a case goes, I've already gotten this one, in anticipation of actually purchasing the Note 3.

Amazon.com: Evecase Classic Premium Synthetic Leather Flip Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III - Black (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and All Versions Compatible): Cell Phones & Accessories

I bought a Verizon glass screen protector and love it!
They installed it for free.😉

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Verizon glass screen protector and love it!
They installed it for free.😉

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

Ditto. Even though it was more expensive than buying online (though I do get a discount on accessories at Verizon) it was worth it because they got it on perfectly with no bubbles etc and the girl told me that if there were any bubbkes/hairs etc and I wasn't happy then they would put on another (at no additional charge to me).

Whenever I've tried myself - even with all the tips of where to do it and what to do - I still end up effing it up ..and I end up ocd if there are bubbles, hairs trapped etc - so I end up pulling it off! Therefore wasting my money.

I'm sure ATT must do something similar to Verizon - I'm sure if you buy one from them they'd put it on. (I know you were joking with your comment OP but I would also assume if you bought one from Verizon they'd put it on the phone regardless of who your provider is ...people on here can correct me if I'm wrong!)

So, you just need to weigh up if you'd rather pay less for a glass screen protector and put it on yourself or pay more and have them do it :)

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC