From An Old Flip Phone to Note 3---Too Big a Jump?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I have been coming to this forum for some time, wanting to learn what I can about Android phones. I've had the same Motorola flip phone for over nine years, so I'm not the type who needs the latest/greatest cutting edge phone. However, I do like technology and feel like I'm finally ready to take the leap from dumb to smart phone!

A little over a year ago I bought an inexpensive Android tablet so that I could experiment with it and see whether I would find the investment in a smartphone worthwhile (not just the initial cost, but the increased monthly fees). I also have tried a number of apps which have been useful on the tablet but would be even better on a phone that I would have with me all the time.

In principal, I like the idea of a plain vanilla android phone, but I keep coming back to the Note 3 for a number of reasons---(1) The bigger screen is a plus, as my vision is a bit impaired; (2) The SD card is another plus, as I'd like to put my music on the SD card and not worry about having enough room for everything. (3) The stylus is another reason I'm looking at the Note 3 rather than S5 or even S4. I don't really need the stylus for notes particularly, although I may use it occasionally; however, on my tablet I have a folio case with a capacitive stylus and I use it constantly, for navigating through screens and menus and choosing apps to open, as well as on the keyboard. If I could find a case for the S4 or S5 that included a loop to hold a stylus, those would both be in the running, too.

I have been gathering as much information as I can about the Note 3, but I still wonder whether it's overkill. With the price dropping, and perhaps dropping more with the release of the Note 4, it seems like a good deal. I am concerned about some of the bad things I've been hearing about problems after the Kit Kat update, but they seem to affect all phones. I do have a concern about phone reception. My little flip phone, even after going through three replacement batteries, has consistently provided better reception than others with smart phones have had. DH, who has an older iPhone, has on occasion borrowed my flip phone to make phone calls because his reception is poor. While I plan to make use of the Note 3 in all sorts of ways it is, still, first of all a phone.

So, what do you think? Is the Note 3 too much phone for this novice? What do you think I will like the most about it and what will be the likely challenges?

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Short answer is that you will enjoy the Note 3. I have it an love it for the 3 reasons that you listed. I use the stylus all the time, the screen is great and I put stuff on my SDcard all the time.

It is not that Kit Kat breaks things, it just does them differently from what people are used to, so they complain.

Reception is kinda interesting. The old flip phones have both battery and reception superiority over smartphones. It really depends on area and carriers. I never really have had any issues with my Note 3 at all, there are dead spots but that is the carrier not the phone.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Just do it!! I went from a crappie dumb phone to my Note 3 and I just can't get enough of it! You will not regret it. And better yet I see at Verizon the price is coming down. 👍😉

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all you "enablers" (LOL)! I'm pretty convinced that this is the phone for me, but I so appreciate hearing that from others. (Or, if you have an opposing point of view, I'm interested in hearing those reasons, as well.)

I'm trying to explore as much as possible before purchasing so that I will be prepared to set up my most needed functions right away. I have Smart Launcher on my tablet, and I'm pretty convinced I want the same on the Note 3, as I really like the uncluttered, clean look and feel.

I do have questions about making phone calls and/or texting. It appears that I can set up quick dialing for a few phone numbers that would enable me to bring up the dialer and then just long press on one of the numbers to quickly bring up/dial the associated phone number. I would like to have the same phone numbers that I quick dial on my flip phone programmed into the dialer. I'm not interested in adding any more numbers like that, as I think I might confuse which number belongs to which person. However, I have a few more people/clients whose numbers I'd like to grab quickly, without going through the contact list. I understand that I can add widgets that will quickly dial a number that I have assigned to that widget and/or add widgets that will bring up the contact info, at which point I can choose to text or phone that person. Am I correct that I can have several of these---not just one---so that they will cover my second tier of most often called contacts? Will these type of widgets drain the battery in any way, since they don't have to keep updating but only respond when needed?

Also, something I'm not 100 per cent clear about is how do I quickly silence all noises---or better yet, change all sounds to vibrate temporarily? For example, if I'm in a meeting and don't want my phone to be a distraction, but I have to have it be able to notify me quietly (i.e., vibrate) in case of emergency? This is important to me, as I have a handicapped child and need to be able to receive calls about my child at any time---not to mention elderly parents who need help with emergencies on occasion.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all you "enablers" (LOL)! I'm pretty convinced that this is the phone for me, but I so appreciate hearing that from others. (Or, if you have an opposing point of view, I'm interested in hearing those reasons, as well.)

I'm trying to explore as much as possible before purchasing so that I will be prepared to set up my most needed functions right away. I have Smart Launcher on my tablet, and I'm pretty convinced I want the same on the Note 3, as I really like the uncluttered, clean look and feel.

I do have questions about making phone calls and/or texting. It appears that I can set up quick dialing for a few phone numbers that would enable me to bring up the dialer and then just long press on one of the numbers to quickly bring up/dial the associated phone number. I would like to have the same phone numbers that I quick dial on my flip phone programmed into the dialer. I'm not interested in adding any more numbers like that, as I think I might confuse which number belongs to which person. However, I have a few more people/clients whose numbers I'd like to grab quickly, without going through the contact list. I understand that I can add widgets that will quickly dial a number that I have assigned to that widget and/or add widgets that will bring up the contact info, at which point I can choose to text or phone that person. Am I correct that I can have several of these---not just one---so that they will cover my second tier of most often called contacts? Will these type of widgets drain the battery in any way, since they don't have to keep updating but only respond when needed?

Also, something I'm not 100 per cent clear about is how do I quickly silence all noises---or better yet, change all sounds to vibrate temporarily? For example, if I'm in a meeting and don't want my phone to be a distraction, but I have to have it be able to notify me quietly (i.e., vibrate) in case of emergency? This is important to me, as I have a handicapped child and need to be able to receive calls about my child at any time---not to mention elderly parents who need help with emergencies on occasion.
Great write up,LOADS of interesting and valuable research.........NOW JUST JUMP!!!
(You know you want to!)
ps theres a button on the drop down menu which is easily accessible which you can use to turn off sounds and just vibrate for incoming calls

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

My best friend went from a flip phone that he's had since I met him (almost 10 yrs ago) to the note 3 and he loves it. There was a short period of adjustment - to the size and the capabilities. He has had the phone for around 4 months now and he really enjoys the bigger screen - as like yourself he has problems with his sight.

I went from an iPhone to the note 3. I thought it would take me a while to adjust but within a week when I picked up my old phone it would seem tiny!
I don't have any problems with my signal (I live in San Diego) or calls dropping.

Since KitKat I've lost a bit of battery life but nothing drastic. I am still able to get through the day with medium/heavy use and perhaps a day and a half to 2 days with light use.

I have a few of the quick call/text widgets and I don't see an increase on my battery drain. What i use just as frequently is my *favourite* contacts. Within the contacts app you can list people as favourites and so they end up in their own category (putting them at the top and easy to find). So I click contacts > favourites and then swipe to the right to call or to the left to text. I've included a photo of what that looks like. You can also access your favourites via the call button/app. You are also able to do what you asked - assign speed dial numbers to 2-9 (I believe 1 is for voicemail I may be wrong).

To silence the phone quickly you can hold down the volume button to completely silence or vibrate. You can also do this by long pressing the home button. What may be more ideal for you is "blocking mode" you can set it to turn on/off at certain times or you can just turn it on manually. You can also select what you want it to block (I use it at night to block everything except my alarm). You can also set it to allow certain numbers/contacts - which may be preferable to you due to your child.

My husband and I both have this phone and we both love it. Coming from the iphone I am really happy with the additional SD card storage as well as the option to have spare batteries. I keep a back up battery in my wallet but in the 10 months I've had the phone I've used the back up maybe a half a dozen times.

I'm positive you'll love the phone!

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 2014-07-25 17.56.47.jpg
    2014-07-25 17.56.47.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 49

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I do want to get this phone. But I'm thinking that, if the Note 4 really is released in September, the price will go down further, right? If so, it's worth waiting a while longer. In the meantime, I can gather more information and be prepared to really enjoy it out of the box.

Sarks, thanks for the info. It's exactly what I wanted to know.

One other concern are the comments about broken screens. Do you think the screen is more prone to breakage because of its size? I have already chosen the case/cover I think I want---an evecase that is like a folio case, but with a slimmer profile. It hinges at the bottom and opens from the top, which I thought might be easier with a phone than the side opening. And what about a screen protector? Glass or plastic? What brand. I have a screen protector on my 7" tablet, and I hate the spots of dust under the protector, atlhough love the protection it provides. Glass sounds good, albeit expensive, but I don't have any experience with it. I want to make sure that the stylus will work okay.

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The screen is no more prone to break than any other. Just treat the phone with care. A good case and a good tempered glass screen protector will go a long way. Most of the major glass screen protectors will work fine. over the years I have tried most and out side of the "feather" glass, they all preform about the same. The trick is the installation. do it in your bathroom. turn off the AC and any fans (they blow more dust than you can imagine. Turn on the shower to get the steam to knock down any remaining dust (not some much that it steams the mirrors (or your phone). Wash your hands well (3+ minutes) you want no oil on your skin. Clean the screen, use the microfiber cloth to clean the screen and then follow directions, it will go on like glass, and you will love the feel.

Of course everyone in this thread will tell you that this is the phone for you, I will tell you the same. but go play with one (a lot) to be sure.

The price will come down when the 4 comes out, but not right away, and not a lot for quite a while. I suspect you will be looking at 6+ months before you see a big price drop. You could buy a used one, but that can be dangerous, many fakes, many are blacklisted. If you have someone you trust who is selling it, that's a different matter.

This is a great phone, and even with the 4 coming out, it is more than capable and will last many more years.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to look and feel you can't beat tempered glass. You have to be careful about the s-pen because it requires a solid surface to work right. Some screen protectors just won't work with it. If you don't get glassed make sure it is a very stiff plastic.

I have the Mimo Ghost tempered glass protector. So far it has been great. I will never use anything other then glass going forward. The downside to glass is the cost and you have to get it right the first time. The glue they use is a one time deal. You can't remove it and reposition it if you don't like the location. If you do you will ruin the adhesive.

Two tips
1. Do the install in the bathroom. Turn the shower or bath on as hot as you can. Get the room very steamy and hot. The steam will help minimize the dust. Then clean with lint free cloth in the bathroom

2. Practice the install. And use some tape to help you hold the screen protector in the right spot to just drop it down on the final install.

Posted via Android Central App

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Mavvrick, Thanks for the tips for installing a screen protector. I'm all thumbs with such things, so I dread messing up an expensive glass screen protector. I'll try your method (unless I can get someone in the AT&T office to offer to install it!) When you say to use tape, do you mean the "hinge" method?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
NOW GO GET IT!!! ????????????

"Size Does Matter!"

LOL --- I've been watching the Note 3 since it was first released---that should give you an idea how quickly I move. I think a certain amount of deliberation is a good thing, but I generally overdo it.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Quit laughing, get off your bu** and go get it! By the time YOU get there you can buy the Note 4!! ✌😂

"Size Does Matter!"

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I went through 3 phones in 2 years trying to make the jump gradually ...save yourself the hassle and just get the note 3...KK was ony a hassle if you had jellybean first and had things on sd card...if you start with afresh phone and KK you will never know the difference.

If you have used a tablet you will have no problem with the phone...go get it :)

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
You know, you can always return it within the specified time frame if you find it to much and then get something a little less imposing. But caution here. When I went to buy my first motorcycle, I was going to buy a small 250cc but some guy talked me into getting a bigger 700cc because if I liked riding a lot, I'd want a bigger bike right away. I'm really glad I listened to him because I adapted to the 700 pretty fast and never regretted getting it. Same principle applies here. Gotta go all in.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I wonder is now a good time information wise on the forums. These forums have been a life saver for me when I started using my Note 3 in December. Some had nearly 3 months experience with it then, but everyone was still learning and sharing information.
It is hard to search old threads on your own.
It's possible you and I OP may be the only ones left here when everyone jumps ship!

Anyway, go for it. You're buying a phone with KitKat presumably and it should be plain sailing.

I was reticent to reply earlier, as I think the phone voice signal is not the best out there, as you alluded to. The public wifi connection has remained poor for me and others. Plus I changed carriers in the UK 2 weeks ago to a bigger 4G network, from a 3G only sim plan, and I am not blown away by the 4G signal or availability.

Still, I am in a different region and I am mostly thrilled with the phone and am on the screen the whole time.

I had a traumatic Saturday last where I left home with the phone still back on the charger. It was a big but boring day (wedding) and with only a dumb candy bar phone as back up I started to go cold turkey.

After 16 hours, and a further 4 hours in ER trying to release my right hand from a Note 3 Death Grip, and stopping my left hand fingers punching an imaginary screen, I can say I survived - but only just.

Your life just won't be the same!

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I wonder is now a good time information wise on the forums. These forums have been a life saver for me when I started using my Note 3 in December. Some had nearly 3 months experience with it then, but everyone was still learning and sharing information.
It is hard to search old threads on your own.
It's possible you and I OP may be the only ones left here when everyone jumps ship!

Anyway, go for it. You're buying a phone with KitKat presumably and it should be plain sailing.

I was reticent to reply earlier, as I think the phone voice signal is not the best out there, as you alluded to. The public wifi connection has remained poor for me and others. Plus I changed carriers in the UK 2 weeks ago to a bigger 4G network, from a 3G only sim plan, and I am not blown away by the 4G signal or availability.

Still, I am in a different region and I am mostly thrilled with the phone and am on the screen the whole time.

I had a traumatic Saturday last where I left home with the phone still back on the charger. It was a big but boring day (wedding) and with only a dumb candy bar phone as back up I started to go cold turkey.

After 16 hours, and a further 4 hours in ER trying to release my right hand from a Note 3 Death Grip, and stopping my left hand fingers punching an imaginary screen, I can say I survived - but only just.

Your life just won't be the same!

I wonder how hard it would be to go without my Note for 24 hours. I fear I would be traumatized for life. :'(

MissouriFarmer

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a smart phone for several years. My wife adamantly refused to give up her flip phone.
I was concerned (both of us being older) that she would fall too far behind like folks who still don't use a PC. I finally convinced her to make the switch. It was difficult for her to get used to but she is happy she made the change. .
The Note 3 is only incidentally a phone. A flip phone is only a phone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app