Note 3 Heating and Serious Battery Drain Issues :(

Rohan Kapadia

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I have had my Note 3 since launch now, and for the past 6 months it has had some serious overheating issues that seem to occur only on my work wifi network. At home the device the device battery life is amazing, I don't need to charge it all weekend, but when I get to work, the phone starts heating up, and in 10 minutes I lose 5% battery on idle! I have been using Battery Doctor and Clean Master, and those seem to cure the issue for about an hour or 2..... I have no idea what it is. I have 2 other colleagues who also have the same Note 3 (Snapdragon variant) and they don't have a single issue. I am running Android 4.4, I have tried doing a factory reset, and I still get the same thing. It's such a strange issue because it only occurs on a certain Wi-Fi network and only on my phone.

I have tried running it without the SD card. What more can I do?

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I have had my Note 3 since launch now, and for the past 6 months it has had some serious overheating issues that seem to occur only on my work wifi network. At home the device the device battery life is amazing, I don't need to charge it all weekend, but when I get to work, the phone starts heating up, and in 10 minutes I lose 5% battery on idle! I have been using Battery Doctor and Clean Master, and those seem to cure the issue for about an hour or 2..... I have no idea what it is. I have 2 other colleagues who also have the same Note 3 (Snapdragon variant) and they don't have a single issue. I am running Android 4.4, I have tried doing a factory reset, and I still get the same thing. It's such a strange issue because it only occurs on a certain Wi-Fi network and only on my phone.

I have tried running it without the SD card. What more can I do?

Turn off phone wi-fi at work. See if problem still occurs.

If no, you've eliminated the wi-fi radio.

If yes, confirm what programs are running in background. Is there an office related app attempting to sync and failing and re-attempting in an ongoing failure loop, say calender or notes on your company's Exchange server?

The solution then would be to fix the failing sync between the Exchange server (in this example).

Hope that helps

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. For me, it's a combination of 2 issues - the WiFi signal sucks in my office and I get a poor 4G signal. I have resorted to keeping WiFi off at work. The radio still keeps jumping between 3G and 4G which accounts for my dip in battery life. Maybe the latter is happening with you as well?

Rohan Kapadia

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Today, my Note 3 was perfect on the WiFi Network. I had 95% by 2 PM, and then in the next hour, I went from that to 65%.... Its just a random occurrence. I have tried turning my wifi off and that does seem to cure the problem, but I don't see why I need to turn the WiFi off, I should be able to leave it on.. Do you think its a faulty app, or some sort of hardware fault?

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I feel this is a radio issue with KitKat. It seems to be programmed to aggressively seek and maintain a 4G connection. Theoretically it should suck less in a 3g area but I have seen it constantly keeps trying to find a 4G signal which results in a huge battery drain.

Rohan Kapadia

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
@Kazmi, this problem has been happening since Jellybean, and I was rather hoping the KitKat update would solve the issue.
@peacefulberry, I don't get the joke lol..

I am thinking of taking it to a Samsung Service Centre, it seems unlikely, but maybe its a hardware issue.. I may do one more factory reset, and this time not restore anything, and see if the problem persists. I am assuming its some sort of app, because battery doctor and clean master seem to take care of the problem for a short period of time.

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
@Kazmi, this problem has been happening since Jellybean, and I was rather hoping the KitKat update would solve the issue.

I am thinking of taking it to a Samsung Service Centre, it seems unlikely, but maybe its a hardware issue.. I may do one more factory reset, and this time not restore anything, and see if the problem persists. I am assuming its some sort of app, because battery doctor and clean master seem to take care of the problem for a short period of time.

Rohan - have you tried replacing the battery? It could also be a defective battery. I still feel at the core its an OS/radio issue, not a hardware one but I got the Anker battery off Amazon and it did make a difference. I'm seeing 15-20 hrs battery time while at home.

Rohan Kapadia

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I did a full factory reset today, and the problem still persists. I reckon before I buy a new battery I will take it to a Samsung Service Centre as my phone is still under warranty..

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you have an app trying to sync thru work wifi constantly and maybe your work firewall is preventing it. You end up with a sync failure loop as mentioned earlier. Turn off sync on apps like Dropbox etc and see if problem stops. If it was a hardware issue it would persist everywhere.

Posted via Android Central App

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Sorry...LOL. There was a recent case all over the news about a girl whose Galaxy caught fire underneath her pillow. It was pretty scary, and could have been very tragic. This can happen with any phone, but just be careful. They mentioned not using generic batteries, and of course if you modify the clocking/voltage if it's rooted, then you have to be careful as well. Anyway, exploding/burning phones are rare...but overheating electronics are not. Just be careful, and I'm sure it will work out. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs