Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Catman51
  • 1 Post By thatdude93
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Clearing Ram

Is there a way to delete more ram? Because pressing clear barely does anything.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    7,076 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default re: Clearing Ram

Clearing that unless you're trying to troubleshoot a very specific problem is generally a bad idea.

[Guide] RAM and Android
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Clearing Ram

Why is it bad?

Global Posts
    7,076 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

The short version is that it can net more resource consumption but will net less efficient resource consumption. RAM in Android (and linux in general) isn't handled the same as it is in Windows, where many people form their RAM usage paradigms. Android uses RAM differently and does a much better job of handling it's dynamic resource allocations, automatically killing tasks when more resources are needed. Interfering with the automation can have unintended results, including lag - ironically the thing that many people are trying to reduce by intervening. Task killers, things like this and manually jumping in isn't going to "hurt" your device, but it will bog it down.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    The short version is that it can net more resource consumption but will net less efficient resource consumption. RAM in Android (and linux in general) isn't handled the same as it is in Windows, where many people form their RAM usage paradigms. Android uses RAM differently and does a much better job of handling it's dynamic resource allocations, automatically killing tasks when more resources are needed. Interfering with the automation can have unintended results, including lag - ironically the thing that many people are trying to reduce by intervening. Task killers, things like this and manually jumping in isn't going to "hurt" your device, but it will bog it down.
    ill stop clearing then. right now my phone is kinda lagging that is why i was trying to clear it. i removed the clean master app.

Global Posts
    7,076 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude93 View Post
    ill stop clearing then. right now my phone is kinda lagging that is why i was trying to clear it. i removed the clean master app.

What it is useful for is finding an app that is "rogue", using more resources then it ought to tie up and/or stuck in a loop, constantly open, etc. Often if you're trying to isolate a problem or resolve something that is in such a state, this can help but it should be pretty deliberate IMO. One thing that can be of more benefit is instead clearing the cache (device and/or individual apps).
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    What it is useful for is finding an app that is "rogue", using more resources then it ought to tie up and/or stuck in a loop, constantly open, etc. Often if you're trying to isolate a problem or resolve something that is in such a state, this can help but it should be pretty deliberate IMO. One thing that can be of more benefit is instead clearing the cache (device and/or individual apps).
    thank you for the info. i did not know any of this. i learned something new. 👍

Global Posts
    7,076 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

There is a lot of cool info in this area: Ambassador Guides, Tips & How-To's - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com Not all of it is relevant to everyone, but some of the battery saving and performance boosting themes are pretty interesting
    Thanked by:

Darth Spock,

Thanks for that great info. I will share my personal experience with Clean Master on a Droid Razr MAXX.

My phone had gotten very laggy in recent months. I deleted as many apps as I could stand, which helped a little, but it would still get unusably sluggish at times. Clean Master seems to help quite a bit. I mostly let it clean when prompted. I also use the 1-Touch Clean function, and it nearly always results in immediate, dramatically improved responsiveness.

I understand Clean Master goes after cache and junk files. Perhaps the cache cleaning is what is so effective. The one down-side I have seen in using Clean Master is that I often lose the open web pages in Browser. That is a trade-off I am happy to make.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the above. Am I paying a price somewhere else for the improvements I see in responsiveness when I run it?

Global Posts
    7,076 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by calcite View Post
    Darth Spock,

Thanks for that great info. I will share my personal experience with Clean Master on a Droid Razr MAXX.

My phone had gotten very laggy in recent months. I deleted as many apps as I could stand, which helped a little, but it would still get unusably sluggish at times. Clean Master seems to help quite a bit. I mostly let it clean when prompted. I also use the 1-Touch Clean function, and it nearly always results in immediate, dramatically improved responsiveness.

I understand Clean Master goes after cache and junk files. Perhaps the cache cleaning is what is so effective. The one down-side I have seen in using Clean Master is that I often lose the open web pages in Browser. That is a trade-off I am happy to make.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the above. Am I paying a price somewhere else for the improvements I see in responsiveness when I run it?
    I'll honestly defer to the experts on specifics, but my opinion is that clearing the cache at appropriate times can be very beneficial. That basically clears temp data that is stored to increase the speed of recalling redundant functions or the same function more than once. It's not uncommon for one or more of those temp files to be a first level cause of apparent lag in an app or on a device.

This is honestly my favorite read on the subject, although there have been a few refreshes due to changes in how Android handles things in newer operating systems, the broad strokes (and a lot of the detail) remain true: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

Hi there use Clean master it not only cleans your ram it will boost it for a faster response it cleared 3gb of space on my Note 3

Ulimate Note 3

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

CCleaner is lighter.
    Bazza1 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I managed to cut it half by removing apps that i did not use. 😊

I never look at my RAM except for posts like this. It sits high but as Spock said.. It's normal for Android to cache the information within RAM to use less resources when opening apps.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clearing Ram-1406912753838.jpg  
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I managed to cut it half by removing apps that i did not use. 😊

... and now it's back.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    ... and now it's back.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    nope lol 😎

anon8380037 likes this.

nope lol 😎 http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/02/gamu3u4e.jpg

Hmm. I'll try mine later. It will.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.
    Thanked by: