Any one suggest a CHARGING CABLE?

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I know that the note 3 does take a while to charge and it's normal. Though I have read (and experienced in my note 2 with a mediabridge cable) that some cables really offer a faster than normal charging time. im hoping some of you knows any cables that charges the note 3 faster than usual. Im needing any cable from a 6 feet length or longer of none (6 seems perfect) . I bought a cable matters micro usb 3.0 cable stating SUPER SPEED thru amazon, but realized that super speed means speed in data transfer and not in charging time.

I hope you can help me out. If no 3.0 cable exist as such, even a longer original samsung cable would suffice (original cable is about 3 feet) . Amazon lists samsung 3.0 cables as 5 feet but reviews says they are all just 3 feet.

Thank you so much for any help at all.

Posted via Android Central App

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine charges in a very reasonable time frame, no complaints here. I bought a charging stand for my bedroom and keep the cable downstairs. My charging stand uses the common plain vanilla USB connection and the cable downstairs is the one that came with the phone.

Is there maybe something wrong with yours? I haven't read any complaints on this but I also haven't been looking for them either.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a bunch of micro USB cables (all 2.0) a couple from blackberry phones, and about 4 random brands that I got from future shop. All of them charge noticeably slower than the stock 3.0 cable that came with my phone and also the stock 2.0 one that comes with the s4. I know because I've tested both stock Samsung USB cables on my note 3. Its very odd, you would think that all micro USB cables would charge around the same speed but that is not the case.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that is important to look for on a usb cable is that it has a rating of 28AWG/24AWG. It should be marked on the cable. If you are buying online then look for it in the description or ask the seller to confirm. And of course make sure you are buying a reliable brand from a reliable source to make sure it is authentic. If you are buying from one of those cheap sellers from China on ebay, they could print that marking on a fake low quality cable very easily.

Other than that, what matters is the charger. Use at least a 2 Amp charger, like the one that came with the Note 3. As long as you have a properly rated cable like above, it's the amperage of the charger that determines charging speed.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I know that the note 3 does take a while to charge and it's normal.

Thank you so much for any help at all.

I take it you did not get the original charger and cable with the phone. My 15% battery is full before I have finished plugging it in. (OK - 90 mins from 2 to 95%).
I would add maybe go for the original cable and charger and a short extension cord.

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
The one thing that is important to look for on a usb cable is that it has a rating of 28AWG/24AWG. It should be marked on the cable. If you are buying online then look for it in the description or ask the seller to confirm. And of course make sure you are buying a reliable brand from a reliable source to make sure it is authentic. If you are buying from one of those cheap sellers from China on ebay, they could print that marking on a fake low quality cable very easily.

Other than that, what matters is the charger. Use at least a 2 Amp charger, like the one that came with the Note 3. As long as you have a properly rated cable like above, it's the amperage of the charger that determines charging speed.

I bought the one from cable matters, it states that it is 28AWG but supplies 900mA. Is that bad? Cause it really charges very slowly than the original cable.

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought the one from cable matters, it states that it is 28AWG but supplies 900mA. Is that bad? Cause it really charges very slowly than the original cable.

900 mA will charge like you are connected to a USB 3.0 port on a computer. Like I said, you should use a charger that is 2 Amps or higher. Higher is not needed but will work the same. You don't want lower than 2A with this phone or it will charge slowly.

The cable should be 28/24 awg, not 28/28. But you need a higher amp charger either way.

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
900 mA will charge like you are connected to a USB 3.0 port on a computer. Like I said, you should use a charger that is 2 Amps or higher. Higher is not needed but will work the same. You don't want lower than 2A with this phone or it will charge slowly.

The cable should be 28/24 awg, not 28/28. But you need a higher amp charger either way.

No, what I mean is, you see what the guy posted above? The cable matters from amazon? Check it out and it stats a "900mA power output". And that's the one I bought. I use that cable with my original 2 amp charger and it charges slower than my original samsung cable listed at "800mA" cable.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The 900ma spec is an error in the description. It charges my phone from zero to 100% in about two hours. If your's is charging at 2% every 15 minutes, you have an issue with your charger, not the cable. This cable is about the best cable money can buy in terms of charging and data speeds.

Read the 466 reviews on it...

ArtieD

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You need three things to get fast charging: 1. A two amp charger, 2. A two amp capable cable, and 3. An App to confirm you are getting the maximum current. The Note comes with a two amp charge as do the chargers for most tablets. Check the specs on any after market chargers you buy or use.

Cable current capacity varies widely, and USB 3.0 doesn't guarantee a high charging speed. I've had very good luck with the Monoprice 6-Feet Premium USB to Micro USB Charge & Sync Cable, Black (109762) available at Monoprice or Amazon for about $6. It's only a USB 2.0, however I like that because I can use it on any device.

Lastly you need an application to tell you if you are getting the correct amperage. There's a nice free app available at the Google Play Store called Galaxy Charging Current Lite. I found that I get 1,200 to 1,800 milliamps charging from the Monoprice cables I referenced or with the original cable supplied with the phone. The 1,800 ma charging rate occurs during the initial stage of charging, but after a short time it settles down to 1,200. I've gotten as low as 450 ma with other cheap cables I have used.

So for starters, put the the charging current app on your phone and see what you're getting currently. If you are already getting 1,200 ma, then you are fine. If you're not, you need to get some new cables and/or a new charger.

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
You need three things to get fast charging: 1. A two amp charger, 2. A two amp capable cable, and 3. An App to confirm you are getting the maximum current. The Note comes with a two amp charge as do the chargers for most tablets. Check the specs on any after market chargers you buy or use.

Cable current capacity varies widely, and USB 3.0 doesn't guarantee a high charging speed. I've had very good luck with the Monoprice 6-Feet Premium USB to Micro USB Charge & Sync Cable, Black (109762) available at Monoprice or Amazon for about $6. It's only a USB 2.0, however I like that because I can use it on any device.

Lastly you need an application to tell you if you are getting the correct amperage. There's a nice free app available at the Google Play Store called Galaxy Charging Current Lite. I found that I get 1,200 to 1,800 milliamps charging from the Monoprice cables I referenced or with the original cable supplied with the phone. The 1,800 ma charging rate occurs during the initial stage of charging, but after a short time it settles down to 1,200. I've gotten as low as 450 ma with other cheap cables I have used.

So for starters, put the the charging current app on your phone and see what you're getting currently. If you are already getting 1,200 ma, then you are fine. If you're not, you need to get some new cables and/or a new charger.

Wow. You really explained it well. Thank you so much. Appreciate your input. Gonna do that right now and update this thread for people that may need this in the future.

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Wait, does it mean that the charger being 2.0 or 3.0 does not affect the charging speed? 3.0 and 2.0 means speed for the transfer rate and not on the charging rate?

popengchan

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
The 900ma spec is an error in the description. It charges my phone from zero to 100% in about two hours. If your's is charging at 2% every 15 minutes, you have an issue with your charger, not the cable. This cable is about the best cable money can buy in terms of charging and data speeds.

Read the 466 reviews on it...

Thanks really for your suggestion, though I hate to disagree, I will anyhow, haha. Sorry. I've read some of the 466 reviews (yup, I really took time), and a lot of them are 5 stars but mostly with regards to the transfer speed, some I admit stating that this is a good cable for charging, but a lot I see that this really takes time to charge their devices. Even cable matters admitted that this is more for transferring data. Here is their response on my email:

"Hi Paul,
Thank you for contacting us.
I am very sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your USB cable!
Both the black and blue cables will have the same function. Those cables were originally designed to be geared more towards external hard drives so they are wired for the faster data transfer rather than charge. We plan on carrying a charging cable with much higher rates but those are currently still in production.

I look forward to hearing from you!
If there is anything else that I can help you with, please don't hesitate to let me know.
Thank you for shopping with Cable Matters!"

Though I have to check the monoprice cable ArtieD is recommending. I read a lot of reviews that this is a nice fast cable in charging. Thanks for the help guys and hope you could recommend more cables :)

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks really for your suggestion, though I hate to disagree, I will anyhow, haha. Sorry. I've read some of the 466 reviews (yup, I really took time), and a lot of them are 5 stars but mostly with regards to the transfer speed, some I admit stating that this is a good cable for charging, but a lot I see that this really takes time to charge their devices. Even cable matters admitted that this is more for transferring data. Here is their response on my email:

"Hi Paul,
Thank you for contacting us.
I am very sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your USB cable!
Both the black and blue cables will have the same function. Those cables were originally designed to be geared more towards external hard drives so they are wired for the faster data transfer rather than charge. We plan on carrying a charging cable with much higher rates but those are currently still in production.

I look forward to hearing from you!
If there is anything else that I can help you with, please don't hesitate to let me know.
Thank you for shopping with Cable Matters!"

Though I have to check the monoprice cable ArtieD is recommending. I read a lot of reviews that this is a nice fast cable in charging. Thanks for the help guys and hope you could recommend more cables :)

Whatever...I bought 3 of them. (10 foot). They charge my phone from 0-100% in under 3 hours, exactly like the OEM cable supplied with the phone, like I said.