Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zacharyw70
  • 1 Post By kj11
  • 1 Post By sarkycow
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Went to the store today...

To compare the M8 and the G3 and liked both of them. I then saw the Note 3 and I really liked it. Nice big screen, no lag that I saw and it seemed it was getting better reception than the other phones. I live in a low reception area so are the radios good on the Note 3? Also, are the cracked screen stories I'm seeing isolated or widespread?

Default Re: Went to the store today...

Good reception. Better than my wife's S5. Had a Spigen tempered glass screen protector since the first week. But I've dropped hip height several times in my Otterbox commuter and no screen problems.

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

I had the note 3 for about 9 months. As time went on the reception progressively got worse to the point where it wouldn't send text messages and I would drop every call. Sometimes I'd go to make calls and I'd be greeted with a "mobile network not available" notification. This would happen most of the time at my office... Big problem since I'm there about 6 hours a day.

Picked up the G3 about 2 weeks ago and haven't had a single reception related issue. Texts send quickly, haven't had any call problems at all, and in the same area where my note 3 refused to work.

I loved my note 3 and really didn't want to give it up, but the fact that it didn't work pretty much buried it for me.

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by kj11 View Post
    I had the note 3 for about 9 months. As time went on the reception progressively got worse to the point where it wouldn't send text messages and I would drop every call. Sometimes I'd go to make calls and I'd be greeted with a "mobile network not available" notification. This would happen most of the time at my office... Big problem since I'm there about 6 hours a day.

Picked up the G3 about 2 weeks ago and haven't had a single reception related issue. Texts send quickly, haven't had any call problems at all, and in the same area where my note 3 refused to work.

I loved my note 3 and really didn't want to give it up, but the fact that it didn't work pretty much buried it for me.

I can't really agree with this review. I had mine since January and never had a problem and it's going strong. May be you dropped it or you got faulty hardware.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srgonu View Post
    I can't really agree with this review. I had mine since January and never had a problem and it's going strong. May be you dropped it or you got faulty hardware.

Nope. Never dropped it.

As I mentioned, it started off fine but slowly got worse. I'd even estimate that the first 5 or so months were virtually trouble free. The kit Kat update seemed to help for a day or two, but then it really took a turn for the worse. Battery life plummeted as a result of constantly looking for a signal.

I also use my phone while running. I had the galaxy gear as well which made it super easy to change songs while running... Only problem was that about 4 miles or so into the run my note 3 would randomly reboot itself... Every time. It seemed as though Bluetooth headphones, the gear, and using the phone GPS was just too much for it to handle. Factory reset and almost daily cleaning of the cache didn't help at all.

Again, I really loved the note 3, but unfortunately it gave me about as consistent an effort as Randy Moss gave the Minnesota Vikings in his second stint with the team.

Here's my impressions from my use of the phone.
    Bought the phone at the end of April because I desperately needed a phone since my previous device (iPhone 5) had a bad battery. Ended up doing a lot of research on it and I thought I would like the larger screen.
    I've used it for several months since then but just now sold it on eBay. The primary reason was because over time I just started to realize the screen for me was too large and unconventional to use. Additionally I started to really hate TouchWiz and it felt really laggy at times. Also Call Quality at least for me on AT&T was pretty sub-par it wasn't very loud and just didn't sound very clear. I also felt that some of the features that originally looked cool (S-Pen, Excellent multitasking) were really gimmicky and I never used them.
    That being said the phone had amazingly good battery life and easily lasted 1-2 days for me with pretty average use of playing games, Youtube, Spotify, and browsing the web and Facebook/Twitter.

For what it's worth I kind of wish I got the HTC M8 instead since I've heard Sense is a much better skin and the phone looks easier to handle. That being said if you can get over the size (I couldn't) it's still an excellent device for the most part as my call quality issues could have just been my area/carrier.

Screen cracking issue is a giant joke, that thread is just walking on air and is full of what people with no proof and new accounts just spamming the same message. I wouldn't take the issue seriously I've had my Note 3 for months and 0 issues.
    Madd54 likes this.

Nope. Never dropped it.

As I mentioned, it started off fine but slowly got worse. I'd even estimate that the first 5 or so months were virtually trouble free. The kit Kat update seemed to help for a day or two, but then it really took a turn for the worse. Battery life plummeted as a result of constantly looking for a signal.

I also use my phone while running. I had the galaxy gear as well which made it super easy to change songs while running... Only problem was that about 4 miles or so into the run my note 3 would randomly reboot itself... Every time. It seemed as though Bluetooth headphones, the gear, and using the phone GPS was just too much for it to handle. Factory reset and almost daily cleaning of the cache didn't help at all.

Again, I really loved the note 3, but unfortunately it gave me about as consistent an effort as Randy Moss gave the Minnesota Vikings in his second stint with the team.

I 'm not happy with the call quality both ends, the strong public wifi rejection, or the data signal. I have moved to a big carrier and it's still disappointing, though not all the time and not to the point of giving up. I may also have a poor example, but me suspects they compromised on this one for the sake of packaging, and impressively blistering performance when in ideal signal conditions only.

They really need to improve on this area on the Note 4 above all else.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I know some things, I don't know other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacharyw70 View Post
    the HTC M8 instead since I've heard
    Screen cracking issue is a giant joke, that thread is just walking on air and is full of what people with no proof and new accounts just spamming the same message. I wouldn't take the issue seriously I've had my Note 3 for months and 0 issues.
    The early threads were convincing enough for me. Sony finally admitted on a major UK tv consumer programme around May that there was an issue with internal cracking on the Z/Z1 series, and set to compensate owners.

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    I 'm not happy with the call quality both ends, the strong public wifi rejection, or the data signal. I have moved to a big carrier and it's still disappointing, though not all the time and not to the point of giving up. I may also have a poor example, but me suspects they compromised on this one for the sake of packaging, and impressively blistering performance when in ideal signal conditions only.

I agree 100%, and I really wanted to stick it out and wait for the note 4 to see if they did, but that's about 2 months from now, and I couldn't wait that long while not being able to rely on my phone to work all the time. I'm very happy with the G3 though.

Madd54 likes this.

I agree 100%, and I really wanted to stick it out and wait for the note 4 to see if they did, but that's about 2 months from now, and I couldn't wait that long while not being able to rely on my phone to work all the time. I'm very happy with the G3 though.

Yes, I've ben reading about it, and it looks good with nice features. Nice also that LG Electronics answer questions on the forums here.
    I would give it a try if I could. 5.5 v 5.7 inches probably no difference.

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts

Yes, I've ben reading about it, and it looks good with nice features. Nice also that LG Electronics answer questions on the forums here.
    I would give it a try if I could. 5.5 v 5.7 inches probably no difference.
    I thought that world be tough for me but it wasn't. The best part is that you can hide the menu buttons when using whichever apps you choose, and simply swipe up from the bottom to get the buttons back when you need them. Plus you'll be amazed at how much smaller the G3 is

Thanked by:
    Madd54 

I thought that world be tough for me but it wasn't. The best part is that you can hide the menu buttons when using whichever apps you choose, and simply swipe up from the bottom to get the buttons back when you need them. Plus you'll be amazed at how much smaller the G3 is

I do need a change. I'm about to buy a Moto G or a Sony SP, maybe a used grade A Nexus 4, to replace my other GS2 I just sold. It will be the first time out of the Samsung cradle. Once I get used to it I may swap in my main Note 3 for a G3 or a Xperia Z2. I like the Sony's but haven't used them. Thanks for the info.
    Thanked by:
    kj11 

I have no problems with my call quality (Verizon) BUT my husband - who insists on using Google voice for everything - phone calls with him are horrible (quality and lags). He likes that he can view all his texts and calls on his phone, tablet and computer.

I guess for him that's a step up as when he was on Sprint his phone wouldn't even connect the call! Ha.

I still have good battery life but I'm a little disappointed since KK that where I used to go to bed around 25-30% it's now 0-5%. It still lasts the day but I guess I was spoiled (especially after coming from an iPhone) with the phenomenal battery life I had when I first got the phone in Sept/Oct.

I am getting a little itchy over whether I want to stay with this phone or switch in the next few months. I've been lucky that I've pretty much been able to upgrade every year because my friend who shared the plan with me kept the same flip phone for yrs (till I gave him my iPhone to trade in for $200 towards a Note 3 - thanks to dpham who posted that on these forums! :-))

If the note 4 is worth getting I'm sure my husband will announce he is getting it ....so, I shall just use my wife powers and have him buy two haha.

Sarks.

Madd54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sarkycow View Post
    I have no problems with my call quality (Verizon) BUT my husband - who insists on using Google voice for everything - phone calls with him are horrible (quality and lags). He likes that he can view all his texts and calls on his phone, tablet and computer.

I guess for him that's a step up as when he was on Sprint his phone wouldn't even connect the call! Ha.

I still have good battery life but I'm a little disappointed since KK that where I used to go to bed around 25-30% it's now 0-5%. It still lasts the day but I guess I was spoiled (especially after coming from an iPhone) with the phenomenal battery life I had when I first got the phone in Sept/Oct.

I am getting a little itchy over whether I want to stay with this phone or switch in the next few months. I've been lucky that I've pretty much been able to upgrade every year because my friend who shared the plan with me kept the same flip phone for yrs (till I gave him my iPhone to trade in for $200 towards a Note 3 - thanks to dpham who posted that on these forums! :-))

If the note 4 is worth getting I'm sure my husband will announce he is getting it ....so, I shall just use my wife powers and have him buy two haha.

Sarks.

Sounds like he doesn't have an option if he knows what's good for him!

You missed out on the free Note 3 with the Samsung Insights programme with Verizon customers. They are starting one with a free S5, and maybe they will do one for the Note 4. Probably very limited though.

My battery went through a bad patch, but it's good with a short top up when between 40 - 70%.

I hope you can either get the phone you think suits you best, or the Note 3 gives you good service.

They will surely have to release details or teasers on the Note 4 soon, for a September Launch.

Sounds like he doesn't have an option if he knows what's good for him!

You missed out on the free Note 3 with the Samsung Insights programme with Verizon customers. They are starting one with a free S5, and maybe they will do one for the Note 4. Probably very limited though.

My battery went through a bad patch, but it's good with a short top up when between 40 - 70%.

I hope you can either get the phone you think suits you best, or the Note 3 gives you good service.

They will surely have to release details or teasers on the Note 4 soon, for a September Launch.

Yes that's usually my luck - just missing out! Haha

Same thing happened with my unlimited data - I didn't know there was a way to keep it ...until it was too late and I had already lost it (sob, sob).

I don't know if I woukd go for the s5. I like the size of the note 3 as well as the stylus. So, with those two things in mind my choices will be limited. One thing I do know is that I won't go back to a phone where I cannot remove the battery (iphone). I like that I can carry a spare one in my purse just in case ...instead of worrying about charging in the car, home, work, university, schul, etc! I've even seen people charging their phones (generally iphones) in pubs and restaurants - that was a surprise to see.

It will be interesting to see what the Note 4 includes/is like after all the speculation.

Sarks.

Aww, shame. I see they are throttling the full u/l legacy plans where necessary, but that might be overturned?

A lot of the Q&A's relate to problems with screens freezing. Can you do a battery pull to restart it with a fixed battery? It never occurred to me.

I hope you are keeping well. Cheers!

What is the Samsung Insights programme?

And how do you keep your unlimited data? That's what I have now.

I'm considering the Note 4 and a free phone with unlimited data would be awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by goin_nil View Post
    What is the Samsung Insights programme?

And how do you keep your unlimited data? That's what I have now.

I'm considering the Note 4 and a free phone with unlimited data would be awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    Samsung insights program

Thanked by: