Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4,623 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Android Wear and Note 3 messaging app..

So I am thinking of picking up a moto 360 when it comes out. In all the videos I have seen, your text messages are displayed through Google hangouts, so that makes me wonder how that will work with a note 3 or any other Samsung phone for that matter. I tried hangouts but just didn't like it all that much. Will I land up having a jumbled mess having to use hangouts on the watch and Samsung text messaging on the phone? Let's say I get a text and reply to it from the watch with hangouts, will that sent message later display on the phones native texting app?

Would be great to hear back from anyone using the currently available watches with their note 3.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Default Re: Android Wear and Note 3 messaging app..

I have the LG watch. I am using hangouts and it works well. I was using SMS Pro but it did not have support for ware, it does now, but both SMS Pro and the build in Samsung app, have real issues with MMS over wifi (ok, MMS does not work over wifi, but the apps dont know it), Hangouts knows and drops your wifi connection long enough to send or receive MMS so it solved the issue for me. SMS has a setting but it does not work for me.

Any messaging app can push SMS/MMS to the watch, but the app has to be modified to allow you to respond from the watch. Again, Hangouts and SMS Pro have been, I suspect others too, and since Sammy has a ware watch, I would expect them to modify the built in app as well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    4,623 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Have you had better luck with hangouts since the last update? When I tried it a couple of months ago it crashed and froze on me one too many times.

Also, besides the mms issue you described, does the Samsung message app show sent text messages if you used hangouts from the watch to send them. Does hangouts have to be your default texting app on the phone for you to get text notifications on the watch?

This all seems pretty complicated to me, I kind of wish Samsung would come out with a man 360 killer of a watch together with the note 4,bit I am sure that won't happen, and if they do launch another watch at the same time it probably will be unattractive and filled with useless features we don't want.

I held out for a long time before switching to Hangouts as my SMS app. After being on Hangouts for about a month I tried to switch back to the samsung sms app and wanted to kill myself. Hangouts is the best way to go once you force yourself through the first few days of getting used to it.

-Shawn
    Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    4,623 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

The sucky part is though that doing things like sharing contacts or calendar invited just don't work with hangouts. But I guess I will give it a try.

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Have you had better luck with hangouts since the last update? When I tried it a couple of months ago it crashed and froze on me one too many times.

Also, besides the mms issue you described, does the Samsung message app show sent text messages if you used hangouts from the watch to send them. Does hangouts have to be your default texting app on the phone for you to get text notifications on the watch?

This all seems pretty complicated to me, I kind of wish Samsung would come out with a man 360 killer of a watch together with the note 4,bit I am sure that won't happen, and if they do launch another watch at the same time it probably will be unattractive and filled with useless features we don't want.

Any messaging app that pushes notifications will push to the watch, so the build in Samsung app will push notifications to the watch. It's just that you can't reply from the watch (yet).

You can switch between Hangouts and the built in app, and all the messages (SMS and MMS) will be in both, but you can only send from the default app (and the non-default app will always ask to be default at launch, you can accept or reject). It's an Android 4.x requirement that only one app be default, prior to 4.x multiple could). Also if you have multiple messaging apps installed, make sure only 1 has notifications on or you will get multiple notifications (on phone and watch) for each one.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    4,623 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Thanks for the info! Based on what I read above I switched to hangouts again so I can get used to it. Since all texts will also be in the Samsung app I can always use it to send items that don't work properly with hangouts.