Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Buy the Note 3 or wait for 4??

hi everyone,

I come from a Galaxy S5 and lately I have been really wanting a Samsung Note. I know the Note 4 is just over the horizon but I am not sure if I should wait for it or just buy the Note 3??

I would love to hear your opinions, or what you guys plan to do...

Thanks!

Default Re: Buy the Note 3 or wait for 4??

I'd wait. Should be some worthy upgrades. But not too much you're not already used to on the S5.

The Note 3 is a great phone and has some great features you may find yourself using more than some people do. However the Note 3's TouchWiz interface and icon layout is currently old school compared to the nice TW on the S5 and recent Tabs. The Note 3 should get the new TW at sometime, and be upgraded to Android L when it comes out.
    Overall I would say wait for the Note 4 if you plan to keep it a long time. That said, The Note 3 can possibly be had for close to half the expected Note 4 launch price, if you are buying outright. Then if you are buying outright, you may not lose very much by selling a Note 3 come launch time of the Note 4. In that scenario I would be careful to get a good deal on a new or lightly used Note 3.
    This post started out as if I knew what I was going to say, didn't it? It seemed I would make the definitive logical argument to make it a no brainer for you. It seemed that way to me to.

Buy both if you can afford it; but to tie in to a 24 month contract for the Note 3, no, unless you can get an early upgrade.
    Exaggerating since 756 BC
    jim_h#AC and dc52ltr like this.

The Note 3 is a fantastic phone but this close to the release of the Note 4, I would wait! There could be some great new features! πŸ‘πŸ˜‰

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size Does Matter!"

For me, there are a few factors that would help me decide:

Price - Note 3 has been out long enough now that you can get good deals on buying it. Contract? I'd avoid. As Madd54 said, tying yourself to 2yrs on an old model probably not a good idea unless price is the key issue.
    Spec/Features - This depends on the rumours. If they are to be believed, the N4 will be an evolution rather than revolution compared to the N3. Once the N3 is upgraded to the same TW and Android versions as the new phones, will there be enough difference to justify it? For me, that would be no.
    Patience - Are you patient enough to wait for the N4?
    Availability - The N4 will probably sell like hot cakes and we'll see a lot of N3's coming onto the second hand market. If the N4 is only a step up from the N3 and snapped up by the early adopters, perhaps the N3 (with upgrades) will seem like a much better deal for a while?

So many things to consider. If you're patient, have lots of money free and have to have the latest and greatest? The N4 is probably a no brainer.

I've always had flagship phones the day of release on contracts. My N3 is the first phone I've ever bought outright and I'm now on a rolling 30 day sim only deal. I would never go back to being tied to 18mths or 2yrs just to get the newest. Waste of money imho.

Just my 2p worth
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
    ladyc0524 and Madd54 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Galaxy View Post
    I come from a Galaxy S5 and lately I have been really wanting a Samsung Note. I know the Note 4 is just over the horizon but I am not sure if I should wait for it or just buy the Note 3??
    I wouldn't burn an upgrade to get a note3, but if you really want one now, try swappa to buy a used one.
    Madd54 likes this.

i had the choice of choosing This phone over the S5. I chose the note 3 because of the screen size and 32 gig memory lol and i wasnt going to wait until the note 3.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3

Or* not over lol

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3

S5 to note 3 is a lateral move. I would definitely wait for the Note 4 as it will be superior to the S5 in every way..
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Just to clarify I am on pay as you go. I'm Thinking of selling my s5 and getting one of the notes. I hate phone contracts tbh lol

Posted via the Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 

Just to clarify I am on pay as you go. I'm Thinking of selling my s5 and getting one of the notes. I hate phone contracts tbh lol

Would it be a big deal to you to go to the note 3 and then later go to the note 4??

I personally would only take a path forward that ends with a note 4. As I stated S5 to note 3 is not really a step up, just a step different.
    Madd54 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Sorry I'm not sure how to quote people on the app but thanks for all your replies!

Hmmm I guess it wouldn't really be a step up but what attracts me is the screen size. I might just hold out until the 4 is released.

Sorry I'm not sure how to quote people on the app but thanks for all your replies!

Hmmm I guess it wouldn't really be a step up but what attracts me is the screen size. I might just hold out until the 4 is released.

Just touch their post and a list of options comes up. Peply, reply with quote, thanks, like, view profile, and report.
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post
    Just touch their post and a list of options comes up. Peply, reply with quote, thanks, like, view profile, and report.
    Thanks πŸ˜„

Thanks πŸ˜„

I don't really care about this but....

On this forum you should use the thanks button to thank someone. That way their good deed goes on their permanent record.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by JulesJam View Post
    I wouldn't burn an upgrade to get a note3, but if you really want one now, try swappa to buy a used one.
    I just did this. Bought a note 3 on swappa last night, mint condition for 340. I want to see how I like the form factor before committing to a two year contract (which I still do because my legacy plan still fits my needs the best).

Plus I like to wait a little after an initial launch for accessories to mature/develop.

The way I look at it, if I use the note 3 for four months and resell it for $250, I can live with the $90 cost of "renting" the phone until then. If I don't like the form factor, I'll get something else.

And, I have a degenerate condition that inhibits my impulse control when I see a new toy I want! So I gave my rationale, and my wife says it's complete b$&+sh@t and a waste of money, so I don't know if you want to follow my logic!

ladyc0524 and Madd54 like this.

hi everyone,

I would love to hear your opinions, or what you guys plan to do...

Thanks!
    For me the choice was easy. Wait for the Note 4. They are going to be similarly priced, but the 4 will be way more advanced. Maybe the 3 will drop a bit in price in a month, but for me, it is worth the wait.
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi217 View Post
    And, I have a degenerate condition that inhibits my impulse control when I see a new toy I want! So I gave my rationale, and my wife says it's complete b$&+sh@t and a waste of money, so I don't know if you want to follow my logic!
    YOLO
    Yogi217 likes this.

If you want a decent camera wait for the Note 4.
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Every single year since the first Note, Samsung has come up with something epicly new and brilliant (unlike thee S devices). So if u want the newest and coolest features, wait. But it's gonna be quite expensive, so if you have a limited budget, there isn't a BIG fault with the Note 3...

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I think waiting for note 4 is better.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I'm definitely going to wait for the 4. I actually can't wait to sell my S5 and receive the 4. <3

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

This close to the public presentation (and, one would hope, release), I'd at least wait and see what the 4 has to offer. That said, smartphones (be they Android or iOS) are pretty much a commodity now, with little wiggle room left for something earth-shattering amazing suddenly showing up. If nothing else, the anticipated release should dramatically drop the price of the 3 (outright purchase or by plan) to an attractive level - and there's very little truly wrong with the 3 (that probably won't be replicated in the 4).

Meanwhile, if you are constantly waiting for the 'next big thing' to show up before buying in, you never will - or will have a drawer full of 'last week's model' - and that's stupid.
    ladyc0524 and emad1995 like this.

Have the note 3 in hand and it's awesome! I can only imagine what the 4 will be like. I'm happy I decided to grab a 3 to test drive before the 4 because I can confirm that the size is manageable, and screen and battery are welcomed increases. So, don't worry about getting a 3, take my word it's awesome. Just wait and grab a 4 in two months.

Would it be better to trade the S5 for a N3, that way you don't waste the upgrade? It'll also give you an opportunity to play with the device over a period of time to make a more inform decision as well as a comparison when the N3 actually comes out. Just a thought.
    Madd54 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast