Charging slowly, 325 mA with original port 450 mA with new port. Battery replaced, help? (USB 3.0)

RawwwwwrxD

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
My TMO Note 3 has been charging slowly, 6+ hours. I got a new port and battery. It's never been dropped bad or disassembled until now, I shower with it, but I leave it on the side where water doesn't get on it. Galaxy charging current gives me 450 mA with the new charging port on all USB 3.0 connectors (Xbox one, PC) and I've swapped 5+ cables. I've also bought a new battery and it's the exact same thing. I could've sworn the first day with the new port it charged fine, but maybe that's just me. USB 2.0 is like 300 mA, horrible. It charges slowlyyy. I don't know what to do, I've also charged it while off to no avail. PLEASE HELP (notice the new usb port charges 125 mA faster)

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Why aren't you charging it with the 2 Amp wall adapter if you want fast charging? You're not going to get fast charging connected via USB anything.

USB 2.0 can charge at up to 500mA but will often be less. USB 3.0 will charge up to 900 mA (or if you have a dedicated high speed charging port up to 1500mA with no data transfer but I don't know anyone with one of those myself). If your computer bus is being shared, you may get less.

Assuming you have a 3.0 port capable of 900mA, depending on your cable and the version of firmware you are running, you may need to switch the USB option in the pull down menu to usb 3.0 one time when you first connect it to activate the higher charging rate. Don't worry about the 10 minute message - that is for data - the charging rate will stay activated after it switches back to 2.0 data trasnfer.

But seriously, just use the 2 Amp AC adapter if you care about how fast it charges.

And stop bringing it into the shower.

Last edited:

ArtieD

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You need three things to get fast charging: 1. A two amp charger, 2. A two amp capable cable, and 3. An App to confirm you are getting the maximum current. The Note comes with a two amp charger as do the chargers for most tablets. Check the specs on any after market chargers you buy or use.

Cable current capacity varies widely, and USB 3.0 doesn't guarantee a high charging speed. I've had very good luck with the Monoprice 6-Feet Premium USB to Micro USB Charge & Sync Cable, Black (109762) available at Monoprice or Amazon for about $6. It's only a USB 2.0, however I like that because I can use it on any device.

Lastly you need an application to tell you if you are getting the correct amperage. There's a nice free app available at the Google Play Store called Galaxy Charging Current Lite which works fine on the Note 3. I found that I get 1,200 to 1,800 milliamps charging from the Monoprice cables I referenced or with the original cable supplied with the phone. The 1,800 ma charging rate occurs during the initial stage of charging, but after a short time it settles down to 1,200. I've gotten as low as 450 ma with other cheap cables I have used.

So for starters, put the the charging current app on your phone and see what you're getting currently. If you are already getting 1,200 ma, then you are fine. If you're not, you need to get some new cables and/or a new charger.