Moving large files to note 3, a couple of questions

ripper2020

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I recently put a sandisk ultra 64GB sdxc memory card in my note 3 to put large files (movies) on. Since this is my first phone with a micro sd reader I have a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to by searching the net.

1) Is there a way to tell what format the card is in? I inserted the card in the note and formatted it and I was assuming it was going to do fat32, but I'm currently transferring a large file to the device and it seems to be working. Is there a way to verify on the phone or windows pc what file format the card is actually in?
2) Does it matter where I put movies on the actual sd card? Can I just create a movies folder in the root of the sd card drive on my pc and put my movies in there, or do I have to put it in the android folder?
3) I have the phone hooked up to my windows 8 pc via usb 3. I'm transferring a large file (~9.5gb) and it's going extremely slow. It doesn't show transfer speed like a normal file transfer in windows, but it gave an estimated time of 55 minutes and it feels like it's taking that long. I thought it would go a little faster over usb 3.0. I also set the connected as option on the phone to usb 3.0. I'm not sure if there's any other way to verify that it's actually working over usb 3.0, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If memory serves me correct you should be able to right click and select properties of the memory card using your computer. That should tell you the format.

Also i think fat32 and exfat32 have a file size limit of 4GB. So that 9.5GB file your trying to move might start out ok but as you get to the 4GB limit something might be happening.

As far as where you put them, its up to you. I created a new folder in the main directory called Movies for a couple that i have.
Most medial players will scan for content when they are installed.

Maybe someone can chime in and give a bit more detailed info on the file size limit and fat32.

ripper2020

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. According to wikipedia fat32 max file size is 4gb. It let me move the whole 9gb file and shows up as 9gb on the phone so I'm assuming it's using exfat, but I'd like to confirm. I tried right clicking while in windows but it doesn't give you the normal information you would see for a drive...it shows up as a media device (I think). I guess i'll try popping the memory card into a reader and viewing it that way on the pc.