Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jim_h#AC
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Find My Mobile or Any Other GPS App

I'm a new owner of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 as of today. Coming from an iPhone 5, this has been a great phone to convert too! So far I am loving every bit of it. One thing I am trying to get to work is the findmymobile.samsung. I have signed up and connected everything but every time I try to track my phone on findmymobile.samsung.com, it is always stuck saying that it is trying to locate my phone. Does anyone have a solution to this or am I doing something wrong? I have my Google and Samsung account connected on my Note 3. Also I've read tutorials on how to do this and I don't seem to have "Find My Mobile" or "Remote Control" in my settings.. Is this normal?

If I can't get this feature to work, is there any other app or method out there that I can find my device just in case if I ever misplace or lose this phone? Preferable something that I can access incase if I need to use my sons family members iPhones or my computer.

Thank you!

David

Default Re: Find My Mobile or Any Other GPS App

Android Device Manager is already built into your phone. Make sure it is enabled under Device Administrators in Security settings. Then you can go online or download the ADM app on another phone and use it. https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

The Samsung service doesn't work everywhere. Last I checked (not very recently mind you) it did not work in the USA.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks! Your method that you provided works fine. I assume that the findmymobile method just doesn't work in the United States.

Any input will be much appreciated!

Samsung's find my phone service works fairly well in the UK, but you have to be aware of a couple of things...

To get an accurate reading, the GPS must be on and set to use more than just wifi and the cell network for location. If the actual GPS receiver isn't on (mine was in power save mode for location, which means GPS is off), then the location is wildly inaccurate.

Once I switched on GPS and left it long enough to find 8 of the 19 satellites available, it got to the point where it was accurate to within 10m on the Samsung map. Even without the accurate location, it's worth using this service for the ability to lock and wipe the phone.

Oh, and to check how well the GPS is performing, I use an app called 'GPS Status'. No, I'm not on commission!

Last, but not least. One thing that makes this whole process pointless is that when you use the Samsung service, you get a notification that informs you that the phone has been found using it. Wth?!?!?
    Thanked by:
    GoProDavidLe likes this.

Much easier to sign in to Android Device Manager though. I had to use it in practice to lock my phone remotely, and put a message and alternate number on the lock screen.
    Don't think it needs GPS on, it will just wait for a data signal.
    Also gets you back in if you forget or a child puts a new pin/password.

It was Samsung Dive, then Link or Lost. I could never sign in properly.

From the problems seen in the Ask a Question forum, I would not recommend a pin/password at all unless it is very necessary.

Enjoy your phone.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Sent from this thing using a finger.

Exaggerating since 756 BC

Take Note: I'm a Stickler for Detial
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Much easier to sign in to Android Device Manager though. I had to use it in practice to lock my phone remotely, and put a message and alternate number on the lock screen.
    Don't think it needs GPS on, it will just wait for a data signal.
    Also gets you back in if you forget or a child puts a new pin/password.

It was Samsung Dive, then Link or Lost. I could never sign in properly.

From the problems seen in the Ask a Question forum, I would not recommend a pin/password at all unless it is very necessary.

Enjoy your phone.

Thank you! I haven't had the chance to try out the Android Device Manager, but I'm assuming you can log onto any Mac, Windows, tablets, and other OS iPhone devices?

Global Posts
    11,885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    If you do that I wouldn't recommend putting ANY critical data on the phone - passwords, bank account numbers, social security number, even pictures of your children (there are a lot of sick people out there).

I use a password on my lock screen, but Tasker disables it when I'm home, so at very worst, I can't use my phone until I get home. (It disables USB debugging when I'm not home too, and enables mobile data and GPS, so I can find and/or wipe my phone if it's lost, and it can't be gotten into with adb.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    If you do that I wouldn't recommend putting ANY critical data on the phone - passwords, bank account numbers, social security number, even pictures of your children (there are a lot of sick people out there).

I use a password on my lock screen, but Tasker disables it when I'm home, so at very worst, I can't use my phone until I get home. (It disables USB debugging when I'm not home too, and enables mobile data and GPS, so I can find and/or wipe my phone if it's lost, and it can't be gotten into with adb.)
    Good points. I don't think I personally have anything visible or even loaded - I do have bank apps that need just a secondary log in - but photos is a good observation.
    I am a strange monkey though.

If the screen dies or is water damaged, it seems the data is gone for those not backed up. Should have backups, sure - but it seems stupid to not have access to your device BECAUSE of a pin lock.

So Tasker is a way around it in many ways. I will look into it. I just hate constantly unlocking with a code.

Life is getting way too complicated.

Sent from this thing using a finger.

Exaggerating since 756 BC

Take Note: I'm a Stickler for Detial