Portable WiFi Hotspot - Timeout.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have started tethering in the last few days with a new plan.
Via wifi, or usb from a charging port, to my Lenovo W7 laptop mainly.

I have to reconnect every 20 - 30 minutes as it switches off in Settings. Probably more so on usb.

This can't be normal?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't seem right to me. I only tether via wifi on my Nexus 7, but never have problems with it timing out. Is the timeout on the phone or lappy?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. The switch on the phone wifi tethering setting turns off and I have to turn it back on when I see on my 'lappy' that connection is lost. I only used it via wifi the 1st few days and I didn't give it much thought if I saw it happen a couple of times (short sessions).

Via usb it started happening during longer sessions.

It may be my lappy. I have since uninstalled and deleted previous network connections on the pc, inc sim data wifi dongles.
Sometimes when tethered via usb it shows a wired connection symbol, other times a wifi symbol.
Also the lappy has 1 of 4 usb ports designated for charging and I had used that in the past with data and wifi dongles. It may be causing a problem having the phone charging as well. I haven't had time to try other ports, but overnight I left the phone hotspot switch on with the laptop off and it stayed switched on.

I will give it some more trials or look at the pc network settings or reset them.
So it shouldn't happen.

(BTW- I was looking at the site and Mobile Nations forums and they can remove the ' #AC' end of anyone's username if they want. Caused by crossing over sites in the past or something. Still we know you and luv ya now as Jim_ er, that name. )

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the first (and probably obvious) things I'd do on a Windows PC is look at all the remembered wifi connections it's ever used and 'forget' all the spurious ones, which you've done. Next, I'd look at patching all the network related drivers for the laptop from the manufacturer's site. After 20yrs in IT, I've lost count how many times driver updates have fixed weird issues like this.

Using USB powered peripherals on your laptop means they're directly draining the psu or battery. I suspect you've thought of this already from your comments, but it is worth thinking about the possibility that you've got power issues. The PSU on most laptops is paltry compared to the average desktop. So, another thing is to try the tethering with no other USB peripherals plugged in. You might try a different cable too. Cheap or otherwise poorly shielded cables can cause problems with signal loss and dropout.

Haha, thank you :) I logged a request on the site ages ago to have my name changed and nothing came of it, so I sacked the idea and decided to stick with Jim_thingy ;)

I hope you get this one sorted.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
On my Verizon note 3, it does turn off after a certain amount of non usage. But if constantly using, it never turns off. I might suggest to try another app or clear data on the current app

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
On my Verizon note 3, it does turn off after a certain amount of non usage. But if constantly using, it never turns off. I might suggest to try another app or clear data on the current app

Thanks. It turns off in the middle of browsing. What do you mean by app?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. It turns off in the middle of browsing. What do you mean by app?

Not sure how it works on your phone, but on mine, I open the Mobile hotspot app to enable hotspot

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how it works on your phone, but on mine, I open the Mobile hotspot app to enable hotspot

Ah OK. More Verizon bloatware. I just have the switch in Settings. Thanks.
8y2e7uhu.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah ok. Yeah it is different for verizon. I don't have that in my settings

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Madd, are there any settings to configure if you click on the Portable Wifi Hotspot line?

I think all of us with US carrier phones have our own specific hotspot settings and/or app for the carrier, so I can't be of any specific help either since mine is Tmobile Hotspot.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Madd, are there any settings to configure if you click on the Portable Wifi Hotspot line?

I think all of us with US carrier phones have our own specific hotspot settings and/or app for the carrier, so I can't be of any specific help either since mine is Tmobile Hotspot.

Hi. I was gonna say no, but there are some frequency bands? instead of Auto in advanced settings. I have it hooked up now to a different spare usb port. It's showing as a wifi connection on the pc, sometimes its the wired symbol.
Lenovo i3 Thinkpad has good software and drivers are usually up to date. I may pay for driver software again. I will give it a few days. I also have a Moto G, which is showing as ToMoG.

Time for screenshots, there's always time for screenshots.

aga5e5us.jpg
9a2uhyjy.jpg
5y8u2a5u.jpg
vuru2ese.jpg
teza2uhe.jpg
3uhezy7e.jpg
ujuzujy9.jpg

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You know I was just giving you an excuse to post more screenshots since it makes you happy.

Do you have anything show up if you press the menu key when in the hotspot settings? Try both with the hotspot on and with it off. There used to be advanced settings somewhere with a timeout. (not talking about used to on the Note 3 but android in general).

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Btw, on my TMO hotspot, the timeout is listed when you check the Show Advanced Options box like you have in your screenshot above. Do you have a timeout option there below the Broadcast channel if you scroll down or is that the end of your advanced options?

Also, think about whether you have any settings or apps that are set to save either power or data by turning off either mobile data or wifi after a certain period. Or if you have any app that will force the wifi to connect to the internet for syncing or some other reason.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Lol.
Sadly no on that. Just a 'Help' box when on or off.
I was forgetting the pc brings up a network loading box before it changes to a wired connection. It just asked me to name the Note 3 on a new network, so I put a name on it. It may have treated it as part of my previous connections before I deleted them.
This is where I freely admit I am not very au fait with network and vpn stuff.

Still, it connects fine and gives good speeds for me, wired or wifi, just disconnects for no reason. I was hoping there was a setting, but I think it may settle down now, or I will trace it by elimination.
gyvupu3u.jpg
y9ebu4ym.jpg

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Btw, on my TMO hotspot, the timeout is listed when you check the Show Advanced Options box like you have in your screenshot above. Do you have a timeout option there below the Broadcast channel if you scroll down or is that the end of your advanced options?

Also, think about whether you have any settings or apps that are set to save either power or data by turning off either mobile data or wifi after a certain period. Or if you have any app that will force the wifi to connect to the internet for syncing or some other reason.

Missed this. No, there is nothing available below the auto shaded box thing.
I am fairly sure I have no apps or settings that time out anything, but you never know I guess.
I am a bare minimum TW kinda guy.

Reddy01

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Here's a fix that worked for me on Samsung Galaxy S4 mobile wifi timeout's:

Open the menu by dragging a finger from the top of the screen down
Scroll over to 'Power Saving'. Make sure this is disabled!

Fixed! Now wifi mobile hotspot stays on.

For additional performance, recommend USB tethering.

Hope this helps!

sandeepsidhu

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
i have samsung j2(10) mobile...when i turn on hotspot of my phone it turns off after a while or after 10 minutes since yesterday after upgrading my phone....before this there was no problem with hotspot...but since yesterday there is a lot of problem with hotspot...it turns off after a while when i turns on hotspot....i have jio sim...plz send me solution of it...thank you

AaronWheeler

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
On my Nexus 6 the problem seems to be that the hotspot gets turned off when the screen turns off. Try changing both the battery/power settings and the screen shutoff settings. On my Nexus I was able to switch to a screen shutoff of 'after 30 minutes of inactivity.'

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech