Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By clevin
  • 1 Post By agp101
  • 1 Post By FBA
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default Note 3 vs Z30

After having the 9900 , z10, and z30...decided to try note 3..here are my thoughts...the bigger screen is awesome..keyboards are similar...little better camera...the facebook app and google maps are much better on the note...battery life is worse on the note...1 to 1.5 days vs 2 + days on the z30....the one place the z30 shines is in phone call signal...no comparsion in fringe coverage areas the blackberry has coverage and the note doesnt ....

Default Re: note 3 vs z30

Note 3 had great battery, until the Google kitkat update f***K it up. I wish I can downgrade to jelly bean.

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4
    vpblaze likes this.

I get 6 hours on screen on

Ulimate Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by waz ahmer View Post
    I get 6 hours on screen on

Ulimate Note 3
    Tell us your secrets!

Scribbled on my Note 3 then magically translated into readable words using Tapatalk

No secrets.........

I keep my data of when not needed and WiFi I only use when I need to.

Brightness is set to 1/5

I clean my ram 4 times a day

Clear all my running apps

that's it.............

Ulimate Note 3

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

No secrets.........

Brightness is set to 1/5

that's it.............

Ulimate Note 3
    Clearing RAM doesn't help. I'd say the low brightness and having data off is what's letting you get that great battery life

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

So... every time you want to do anything you have to turn data back on? In this day and age there's no reason anyone should have to play that game. It already pisses me off to have to do that with wifi and Bluetooth. It would drive me crazy having to do that for data to.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by Kalvin Kerns; 08-29-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Kalvin Kerns View Post
    So... every time you want to do anything you have to turn data back on? In this day and age there's no reason anyone should have to play that game. It already pisses me off to have to do that with wifi and Bluetooth. It wrong drive me crazy having to do that for data to.

There are apps that turn off data when the screen is off. Turn your screen on and it turns data on. No hassle

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    1,521 Global Posts

No secrets.........

Brightness is set to 1/5

that's it.............

Ulimate Note 3
    As for clearing the RAM, I actually recommend you stop doing this. Apps in RAM aren't necessarily running, they're just managed there by Android for when you want to run them again. So essentially, by clearing the RAM out all the time you're restarting every app you launch every time, wasting seconds of CPU processing each time. If you didn't clear that RAM, the app would simply be suspended in the background and resume when launched again, thus no need to restart the app. This has an effect on battery, although it's more on the minimal side. But since we're nit picking... .

Clearing running processes that aren't needed may be a good thing if they consume power, but that's not always the case depending on the process.

The data thing is extreme, but whatever floats your boat. I have the same function enabled as you do when my battery is 35% or lower using the app 2x battery. It's a great app with many extra features such as screen filters, WiFi Bluetooth etc toggles in the notification shade, etc etc.

Thanked by:
    UJ95x 
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by agp101 View Post
    As for clearing the RAM, I actually recommend you stop doing this. Apps in RAM aren't necessarily running, they're just managed there by Android for when you want to run them again. So essentially, by clearing the RAM out all the time you're restarting every app you launch every time, wasting seconds of CPU processing each time. If you didn't clear that RAM, the app would simply be suspended in the background and resume when launched again, thus no need to restart the app. This has an effect on battery, although it's more on the minimal side. But since we're nit picking... .

Clearing running processes that aren't needed may be a good thing if they consume power, but that's not always the case depending on the process.

The data thing is extreme, but whatever floats your boat. I have the same function enabled as you do when my battery is 35% or lower using the app 2x battery. It's a great app with many extra features such as screen filters, WiFi Bluetooth etc toggles in the notification shade, etc etc.

This is exactly why 😀
    [Guide] RAM and Android

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    There are apps that turn off data when the screen is off. Turn your screen on and it turns data on. No hassle

Very cool, but can you receive texts or calls?

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Very cool, but can you receive texts or calls?

Yes. Those don't rely on data.

Yes. Those don't rely on data.

Interesting, I always just assumed they did. Thank you.

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Interesting, I always just assumed they did. Thank you.

SMS and calls go over voice networks.
    MMS and anything that connects to the internet requires a data connection.

So... every time you want to do anything you have to turn data back on? In this day and age there's no reason anyone should have to play that game. It already pisses me off to have to do that with wifi and Bluetooth. It would drive me crazy having to do that for data to.

This day and age is especially dangerous, as Google is finding every possible ways to get your phone online doing background communications with its servers.

Only safe way is to turn off data and background sync, and stop Google tracking, stop using Google apps.

It's not hard anyway, place a data toggle widget on desktop, just one tap to turn data on and off.

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4

Clearing RAM doesn't help. I'd say the low brightness and having data off is what's letting you get that great battery life

Yes it does more ram usage more work getting done by the phone less ram more battery it's like a car faster it goes more petrol burning common sense jimmy

Ulimate Note 3
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,378 Global Posts

Incorrect. That's not how Android works - and UJ95x is right, it does more harm than good. Android memory cleaners are useless...the OS is designed to have apps sitting in memory, rather than calling them to open again each time you need to use them. And cars don't work that way either - really bad analogy.

Why do you think city mileage is WORSE than highway mileage? Do your drive faster in the city?

What are you basing your answer on? Can you quote some actual facts to substantiate your post? I'd love to see them!
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
    shaleem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    This day and age is especially dangerous, as Google is finding every possible ways to get your phone online doing background communications with its servers.

Only safe way is to turn off data and background sync, and stop Google tracking, stop using Google apps.

It's not hard anyway, place a data toggle widget on desktop, just one tap to turn data on and off.

@T-Mobile GN3
    I like Google's apps to much to stop tracking. I for one am not worried about it .. So Google knows where I work & play.. Most people do ^_^.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.