Brand New Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Apps not doing their job

Sinamyhn

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I just bought my phone less than a week ago and some apps aren't doing what they are supposed to.

1) Notifications are turned off but some apps still notify me. I set all notifications to OFF. Messaging is on. Text messages still come through like they should, but certain apps still shoot off loud warnings despite notifications being off. I looked inside those apps and it has no settings for notifications at all so I can't even shut it off there.

When this didn't seem to be working, I tried the Blocking app.

2) Blocking App - When this is one and set for proper hours, it stays on 24/7 even though "Always" is NOT checked. I have it set for 10pm to 10 am. It will continue blocking even at noon. It also blocks my Allowed Contacts. Nothing gets through. When someone on my allowed list texts me, it's blocked.

I am feeling very frustrated because the reason i paid 800+ for this phone was due to having non stop issues on my two other blackberries. I'm starting to feel cursed or like my phone provider has something f'd up on their service.

Can anyone help? :'( I don't know what to do. I don't know the phone well enough to know what to try yet.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
You will have to provide more details.

From where did you turn off the notification?
Which app is sending notifications?

I don't understand how block app works, can you elaborate?

@T-Mobile GN3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my phone less than a week ago and some apps aren't doing what they are supposed to.

1) Notifications are turned off but some apps still notify me. I set all notifications to OFF. Messaging is on. Text messages still come through like they should, but certain apps still shoot off loud warnings despite notifications being off. I looked inside those apps and it has no settings for notifications at all so I can't even shut it off there.

When this didn't seem to be working, I tried the Blocking app.

2) Blocking App - When this is one and set for proper hours, it stays on 24/7 even though "Always" is NOT checked. I have it set for 10pm to 10 am. It will continue blocking even at noon. It also blocks my Allowed Contacts. Nothing gets through. When someone on my allowed list texts me, it's blocked.

I am feeling very frustrated because the reason i paid 800+ for this phone was due to having non stop issues on my two other blackberries. I'm starting to feel cursed or like my phone provider has something f'd up on their service.

Can anyone help? :'( I don't know what to do. I don't know the phone well enough to know what to try yet.

Welcome to the forms.
Can you describe how you turned off your notifications?
Can you tell us the name of the app you got? Are you just trying to kill notifications at night?

Sinamyhn

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi :)

I am trying to:
  • Only get notified when I receive a text or phone call.
  • Prevent notifications from happening at ALL during the night unless it's from my allowed list

Steps:

Went to Settings --> Device --> Sound --> Turned Notifications to Silent
Went to Settings --> Device --> Sound --> Messaging --> Set default sound
Went to Settings --> Device --> Blocking Mode --> Set it to block notifications and incoming calls. Set the time to 10:00 PM to 10:00 AM. Set Allowed Contacts to Favourites. Also tried setting Allowed Contacts to custom and set him as allowed.

Apps:

Texting - Default "Messages" app
Blocking - Default "Blocking Mode" setting
Problematic App - "Blackstone Mysteries". It's one of those hidden object games. It notifies me when my resources hit full, even at 5:16 am!

Better description of issues:

Notifications - Despite being set to silent, this app still beeps. I can't compare it to other apps because no other apps seem to give me any notifications anyway.
Blocking Mode - Even though it's outside my time frame set (10-10), and my bf is on the allowed list, it doesn't make a sound when he messages unless I turn blocking mode off completely.

It also vibrates sometimes when close certain apps but I don't really know what it's doing. System sounds is set to Off completely.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another way to do this is: You can go into Settings>Application Manager>click on any app. You should see a check box for show notifications. If you uncheck that, you will no longer get any notifications of any type for that app.

As for the silent at night, I use Nightskeeper on Play. Pretty good app to kill notifications, and a profile can be made to white list certain people. The free version only allows one profile, but it looks like each profile can have different white lists.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie