How to connect to PC via USB ?

craige

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I am coming from Note1 and in that I had to go to settings -> Click USB connection -> connect phone -> start connection. This is how I connected my phone to my Windows 7 computer. AND, to end connection -> I press Stop USB connection on my phone and then I pull the usb plug frm my PC.

Now in Note 3, I aint finding any such option. So do I just have to connect cable to the usb port of my PC and am done ? - If I do it this way, wont it corrupt phone internal storage and SD card as I wll just pull the plug to end connection ?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You just plug it in to connect. You may need to install the drivers through Kies or from Samsung the first time if you don't already have them.

You just unplug it to disconnect. The Note 3 does not connect as USB, it connects through MTP so nothing is going to happen to your phone if you pull the plug. Of course if you are actively transferring a file, that particular file can get corrupted if it is not completed but it won't hurt your phone. Just make sure any file transfers you are doing are complete before unplugging or cancel the transfer.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You just plug it in. The old USB Storage mode, however, is gone. You can only choose to connect this as a media device (essentially an USB stick with multimedia capabilities) or a Camera. It usually won't do any damage if you just disconnect, but be sure there's no data transfer going on.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
You just plug it in. The old USB Storage mode, however, is gone. You can only choose to connect this as a media device (essentially an USB stick with multimedia capabilities) or a Camera. It usually won't do any damage if you just disconnect, but be sure there's no data transfer going on.
This is what I really like about this forum,simple no-nonsense helpful advice and plenty of tolerance with a noobie question.Many other (un-named forums) can be sooo unhelpful and expect every member to know everything...no so here...its a real pleasure to be a member of Android Central and in particular this forum..Thank You :D

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
We're glad we can help and that you enjoy being here! So do we! :) Hehe. And there are never newbie questions. We were all newbies once upon a time, and in many regards, we still are! I can't tell you how many times I've learned something new about these devices from other users in these forums. Which is totally cool, because it keeps me even more interested!

craige

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The Note 3 does not connect as USB, it connects through MTP so nothing is going to happen to your phone if you pull the plug..

You just plug it in. The old USB Storage mode, however, is gone. You can only choose to connect this as a media device (essentially an USB stick with multimedia capabilities) or a Camera.

Alrite thx for info. but in this MTP mode when I try to browse photos that I have taken with my phone camera and either stored in phone/Card... it takes very long time to load and many photos wont even show preview and only appears as placeholders... If I refresh the page then they might showup, so basically its extremely slow.

Do you guys having similar experience ?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Alrite thx for info. but in this MTP mode when I try to browse photos that I have taken with my phone camera and either stored in phone/Card... it takes very long time to load and many photos wont even show preview and only appears as placeholders... If I refresh the page then they might showup, so basically its extremely slow.

Do you guys having similar experience ?

When you first plug in the usb to the pc port, a usb icon and message appear on the notification panel, saying connected as an MTP device, or some such.
If you pull the shade down, you have the option to switch to PTP mode.
(Media Transfer Protocol v Photo/Picture Transfer Protocol).
I was never sure why that is, but I think @SpookDroid has explained it well here already.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall