Google Maps - Holy cow!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Google Maps knew I was on the 4th Floor of a department store (looking at tech).
It also knew it had a lower ground floor and showed lift buttons of sorts. I was situated behind the elevators, powdering my nose.

I found it when looking at a new walking route preview button.

I knew there has been a few upgrades, but holy cow!
This is probably tied in to Google Now huh, which I have started using only lately?

(UK ground floor is US 1st floor)

putevaju.jpg

a2ugynym.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's still not there for every building and mall, but it's starting to increase. Some airports, too. It's probably not using just GPS, however, as indoors the signal is too low and it wouldn't provide accurate 'level' information, but I'm sure it's using WiFi networks around you to determine which floor and particular spot you're standing on.

It's been a while since this was updated, but Google Now can actually poll your location using WiFi even if your WiFi switch is off (it uses a small burst of received data for this, and then turns the antenna off all on its own).

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Ah OK. I may have read about it in an AC blog and forgot about it.
I just tried again in our other big store not far away, and after spending time on the third floor without a network signal and several locked store wifi (which may help) I found a signal at the escalators on that floor and checked.
It put me on the 1st Floor rather than the 3rd, but if I pressed the "elevator buttons" on the map it gives you the store layout for each floor.
Amazing.

I would have been spooked or annoyed about it in the past, but maybe Google is winning me over.

(I had lots of spare time btw, not spare money!)

e2a9u5un.jpg
3eme6uja.jpg
6y4evy8y.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, even locked WiFi networks help to determine your location. I don't mind Google knowing more about me than I know myself haha I'm not a spy, I don't have life-altering secrets, and if they need to know all that to get me FREE services that can turn a simple walk into an awesome experience, giving ads (yes, I hate ads, but sometimes they're good!) that are relevant to what I need right then and there, and making my life easier, so be it.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Ha Ha. I don't get any ads so I guess I am not using it enough yet. Anytime I enquire about an area I am in it just gives me expensive restaurants and cafes. I use it for travel itineraries and updates so I may start to use it more, and let it get to know me.

I can see it would be great for airport layouts, even though there are very good apps available.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, the ads are usually in your GMail when on a computer or as suggestions when you're searching for something. So far Google has never sent me any ads directly to my apps or on Google Now, and I don't think they will. But if I'm searching for, say, patio furniture ideas, it's nice to know that they suggest an ad letting you know that Target has these on sale. Stuff like that.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I use google map for its bare functions, I would use other if I there is a good alternative.

Bing map is great on PC, but there is no android version. Mapquest looks quite dumb. I heard Here! is coming to Sammi devices, can't wait to try it out!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeh. I like Bing. I still have a 2004 European MapQuest (AutoRoute) on my pc. I have bought full country 'GPS Nav and Maps' by Scout/Skobbler for offline/online use, and I know there are others, but I'm starting to use Google more. I will look out for 'Here!', never heard of it yet.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's still not there for every building and mall, but it's starting to increase. Some airports, too. It's probably not using just GPS, however, as indoors the signal is too low and it wouldn't provide accurate 'level' information, but I'm sure it's using WiFi networks around you to determine which floor and particular spot you're standing on.

It's been a while since this was updated, but Google Now can actually poll your location using WiFi even if your WiFi switch is off (it uses a small burst of received data for this, and then turns the antenna off all on its own).
Interesting stuff. and now slightly spooky again, but OK Google!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae