Can the Note 3 Neo take extended handwriting sessions (~ 7 hrs/day)?

sicunder36

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
can note3neo take extended handwriting sessions (~ 7 hrs/day)?

digitizer pen functionality is why i bought this phablet, that and reading/annotating documents. or else i would have preferred a basic motorola or nokia (the ones with calculator like display, without a camera. they are far more durable, though u run the risk of getting addicted to playing snakes)

but i know these smart phones are deliberately made in a way to not last more than 3 years. thus i really wanna preserve the s-pen function for as long as i can. but will daily abuse with long s-pen enabled handwriting sessions destroy the screen sensitivity in the long run? and if so - i would like to know the best methods of extending life of my samsung note3 neo.

also i have screenguard on - makes screen sticky making the s-pen drag, it takes a lot of effort to write. i have to use some extra pressure than i probably will have to on a naked screen. Does that extra pressure wile handwriting offsets/negates any protection that the screen guard provides?

is effortless handwriting on naked screen better than high-friction writing with screenguard on, actually better for longevity of s-pen and digitizer screen?

i can not give up handwriting - that's why i bought it for. but destroying an expensive phone is always dreadful idea.

i am actually hoping for inputs from samsung note series users but inputs from any person experienced in the realm of digital handwriting (going paperless revolution) are most welcome.

thanks for reading the long discription and sorry for too many questions.
regards,
sicunder

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: can note3neo take extended handwriting sessions (~ 7 hrs/day)?

As long as you don't press too hard on it, you're good. If you're good to your phone, it'll last quite a while. I still see my old Note 2 with my dad (I passed it on to him) and it's still as good as new because we both take good care of our phones. But I've seen Note 3's that look like dung and iPhone 6's with already cracked screens, so you just gotta be careful.

As for the extended period of note taking, the sensitivity won't be affected, again, as long as you don't damage the screen by pressing on too hard, BUT I doubt the battery will last for 7 hours of screen-on time. If you do need to constantly take notes for 7 hours straight, you might look into getting an external battery pack or an extra one.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

digitizer is behind the glass. How do you think you will be able to damage it besides blatant abuse?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

His concerns are totally legit. You can 'damage' a digitizer if it wears out with use, which in this case it'd take A LOT of use and the phone would probably break first, but digitizers of yore did wear out a lot quicker than today's tech. All Electronics wear out with use, and eventually, with time.

sicunder36

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

thanks spookdroid and power5, for your inputs.
to spookdroid, i also wanted to ask which note taking app you use and why? have you tried newer snote with pc compatibility (maintains native file extension and has a pc application with full formatting options). i have evernote and snote both i am confused.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

His concerns are totally legit. You can 'damage' a digitizer if it wears out with use, which in this case it'd take A LOT of use and the phone would probably break first, but digitizers of yore did wear out a lot quicker than today's tech. All Electronics wear out with use, and eventually, with time.

Of course everything wears out, but thinking they are going to wear out in the lifespan of a phone is a little unreasonable. One note is a great note app and your notes are on your skydrive onedrive for access from any computer or mobile device.

sicunder36

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

I am aware of onenote, does it offer handwriting based features for android? Also I already have evernote for one year. I was hoping for answer among the free choices I already have, evernote, snote , write. Handwritten input is central. I had onenote (probably still have with rest of the office 365 that came with my windows 7 mobile) it was a nightmare to say the least. Onenote's main advantage is it's pen based input on but unfortunately none of windows powered mobile comes with a stylus. I have read a lot about superior organization ability in onenote ( compared to evernote) but I have reservations about it's mobile version, it's probably worse for android compared to windows. I always wanted something like onenote and pen based device in my college as a student but couldn't afford one to keep stuff organised. And now when I can, I have no need for it. But I hear onenote has a crossplatform free version, I will try it on note3 neo. Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

OneNote is PRETTY good in Android, actually. You can use handwriting input only if your keyboard supports it. While you can use 'pen' input in OneNote and later convert that to text via the PC/Mac version, you cannot use handwriting recognition natively from the app.

sicunder36

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

Confirmation of pen input on 0nenote is a real relief. I am ok with having to do handwriting recognition later on pc. Because I just realized Snote does not have transform to text option in pc version. Also, I would like your opinion on which has best
opinion on which has best handwriting recognition, Samsung keyboard or Onenote on pc or a third party app for android.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I've had awesome results with handwriting recognition with both. It depends on what you want: Instant recognition, then get the Samsung Keyboard. Later recognition, use the PC feature. But in general, the Samsung Keyboard feature has been able to decode my scribbling more accurately. HOWEVER, when it gets it wrong, its frustrating having to go back and delete what you're writing on the go. If you do it on your PC, your notes are already taken, you don't feel so much frustration if the conversion is wrong because you still have your notes there and you can adjust manually.

sicunder36

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

http:// https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=2vxXVNmuLIO0uATihYLYCQ&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DPHvzBRe7hIc&ved=0CBsQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHR3YIkTPy1sYgS5MnPuoeffE1-rw&sig2=xBF3vyJ7uHbanNxc5nDghw
HOWEVER, when it gets it wrong, its frustrating having to go back and delete what you're writing on the go.

While researching reviews for handwriting recognition I stumbled upon this video - I don't know inserting YouTube links on android yet but you can Google "surface handwriting recognition" - Its the first video in results.

The recognition as such was slightly better than samsung but the ease of editing the mistakes took my heart away. It's quite intutive and natural.

Unless the bearded guy rigged the review lol. :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7