Device Status shows Factory Data Reset date in the future

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Noticed this tonight. Not clear why the factory reset date shows in the future, e.g. ~ three months from now.

Any logical reasons for this status and showing a future date? I'd expect it to show when the device was last reset rather than some future date. Perhaps Factory Data Reset has a different meaning in this case.
Screenshots_2015-01-02-20-27-19.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not on the 900A (AT&T model). There's Battery level and Network, no Factory data reset. Are you sure you didn't have the date set wrong the last time you did a reset? (If you've never done a reset, maybe the tech who did it had the date set wrong.)

Or maybe you posted this in the future and it somehow fell into a wormhole and posted 3 months early.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think your second theory is the most plausible :)

In all seriousness, though, I did a factory data reset probably six months ago - pre 4.4.4. Will be interesting to see if this is a unique Verizon feature.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Noticed this tonight. Not clear why the factory reset date shows in the future, e.g. ~ three months from now.

Any logical reasons for this status and showing a future date? I'd expect it to show when the device was last reset rather than some future date. Perhaps Factory Data Reset has a different meaning in this case.
View attachment 157700

Interesting, I found the same on my Verizon phone, 2/8/2016?
Not sure what it means!

Attachments

• 1420405440177.jpg
    1420405440177.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 41

ChuckChurch

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Weird thing happened today. Hadn't touched phone in 10 minutes, looked down and saw the red Verizon screen for a second or two, then screen went dark again. I figured phone had reboot or something (never has done that). But, I wasn't prompted for the encryption password (device is encrypted, work mandate). Got into the phone looking for a reason, and found the uptime in the status menu was 48 hours or so. But, this 'factory data reset' field had a date of today. Hadn't ever noticed it before. Not sure if that red screen is related (never saw it before). Doesn't appear to have reset anything, user files on both the SD card and built-in memory are all there. All apps look normal. Mine is a Verizon Galaxy S4, running 4.4.2. Anyone seen this?

Chuck

MJ212

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I am also a Verizon customer and own a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Two days after receiving a brand new (in box) replacement device through Asurion, my device began to "misbehave" in the same way. Device spontaneously rebooted and screen went red to Verizon start screen while I was in the middle of an Internet search. Now my factory data reset date shows 10/10/15. I have always understood that this date represented the last date a reset was performed, not a date in the future. Neither Verizon nor Samsung "has ever heard of this problem" which is obviously BS since we're all posting here. Of course I got their "go to fix" response......"You need to do a factory data reset". When asked if this will fix the factory data reset future date problem, they really have no idea. Then, I went into a Verizon store hoping to find a techno geek who might know how to fix this issue. Instead, I had to endure an upsell pitch encouraging me to give up my unlimited data plan and get a Note 4 to resolve the problem. Really??????? Great idea!

ChuckChurch

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Since the date my phone did the red screen thing, the 'factory data reset' date has been showing the current date every day. I wonder if it's tied to the fact the phone is managed by my company IT. They use a program called Afaria to I guess manage apps they want to push to us, and gather inventory on security settings. Also, the Exchange server sync has some things mandated as well like required password, encryption, and screen lock. Anyone else using a phone managed via your IT department?

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi MJ212,

All replacements do come with a 1 year limited warranty. This means if you experience any covered warranty failure you may be eligible to receive another replacement at no additional cost. We'd be happy to look into this further for you. Are you still experiencing the same errors?

MJ212

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Dear ChuckChurch and Asurion,

I don't think the issue with factory data reset date has anything to do with your company IT connection. I am not associated with any company and I am not on any private network. Has your phone been doing a factory data reset every day?

Just spoke to my sister who has an iPhone (another Verizon customer) and she has also been experiencing the red screen shut down. Since I'm not familiar with the iPhone functions, I advised her to find out how to check her Factory Data Reset date.

***********WORD OF CAUTION........Not sure if there is a connection, but two weeks after experiencing the red screen shut down, this past Saturday morning, my phone got a TROJAN VIRUS. This is virtually unheard of. You can imagine the panic I experienced. After quickly removing the battery and SIM card, I logged onto my laptop and began scrambling to change passwords everywhere. Asurion did replace the device and I received it Monday, but I am still leary of what might lurk beneath. My new phone seems slow, but I'm on high alert right now, so I'm watching everything very closely. Footnote.......I did have a PAID subscription to Norton when this happened. Before activating the new phone, I wiped my SD card and I did NOT use Smart Switch or restore the phone in any way other than what Google restores when you sign in to Gmail.

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Dear ChuckChurch and Asurion,

I don't think the issue with factory data reset date has anything to do with your company IT connection. I am not associated with any company and I am not on any private network. Has your phone been doing a factory data reset every day?

Just spoke to my sister who has an iPhone (another Verizon customer) and she has also been experiencing the red screen shut down. Since I'm not familiar with the iPhone functions, I advised her to find out how to check her Factory Data Reset date.

***********WORD OF CAUTION........Not sure if there is a connection, but two weeks after experiencing the red screen shut down, this past Saturday morning, my phone got a TROJAN VIRUS. This is virtually unheard of. You can imagine the panic I experienced. After quickly removing the battery and SIM card, I logged onto my laptop and began scrambling to change passwords everywhere. Asurion did replace the device and I received it Monday, but I am still leary of what might lurk beneath. My new phone seems slow, but I'm on high alert right now, so I'm watching everything very closely. Footnote.......I did have a PAID subscription to Norton when this happened. Before activating the new phone, I wiped my SD card and I did NOT use Smart Switch or restore the phone in any way other than what Google restores when you sign in to Gmail.

We're glad to hear that another replacement device was sent out to you! Please keep us updated and let us know if there is anything more we can do to assist. We want to make sure you are up and running again!

ChuckChurch

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The weird part is even though it lists that date (always today's date), it's never actually done a factory reset. All apps are there, nothing set back to defaults, nothing. Phone appears totally normal.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I lost track of this thread. Well, for me 03/06/2015 is history. No phone factory reset all by itself or any other unexpected activities.

If Lollipop ever comes to Verizon Note 3's, I'll see if the Factory Data Reset date changes after upgrading. If not, this may continue to be one of the world's greatest unsolved mysteries.

Yassin Hussein

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
My note 3 does not show the Factory Reset Date as well. I actually came across this forum when searching for how to detect when your phone was hard reset.
2 weeks ago, I was away from my phone for like 30min and when I got back to it, it started up like a new phone- all data, apps, settings had been wiped clean. I thought it was a glitch but found it too much of a coincidence to happen exactly after I had mentioned to a group of people during a meeting that I had some sensitive information on my phone in form of telephone recordings, messages and voice recordings.
I searched online if the phone can be wiped while still locked and easily found the hard reset steps which I believe is what someone did to my phone. I just need to pinpoint exactly what time it was done so I can determine who it was.
Is there anyway I can determine this? As I cant find anything online on this specific point.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Look in Status for the uptime - that'll tell you how long the phone has been running since the reset (possibly - some phones use the Linux uptime, which won't be changed by an Android reset).

Davien Crow

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site

View attachment 157700

I have a verizon HTC M8, running android 6.0 and sense 7.0.

Originally after the update I had an impossible mac address 00:00:00:00:02 and had already saved this information from before the update to 6.0 along with other info from the about section. It turns out the permissions and securiry features added in prior updates included one that was aimed at obscuring this data, especially from third party apps, but ended up affecting sense and the gui itself, while most apps could still show the right IP and MAC.

However, after my phone overheated yesterday and with several other errors going on, such as sd removed notices that rearrange pics, fb stickers and app icons in the gallery with indv. Albums, android apps are updating notice but no count like normal or after a reset, and some other oddities, lile verizon apps updated without noticd, my verizon showing wrong data count, almost double what it should be according to normal usage only ever being about 6GB and i used wifi more, yet we are at 14GB+ twice in a row, on one device, in a matter of days, not weeks, my verizon app crashing, and some other irregularities, and security issues with the account and email.... it is now showing a factory reset for the previous day (may 30th.9:45am) as of May 31st 10:30pm, it had not been reset EVER as this phone was recently replaced by asurion due to the last one having serious security and defect issues where it was changing time to 24 hour clock on some text messages, would create a draft with the text someone else sent, things opening and closing by itself, sd card issues, and other issues, calls by itself and more, and verizon monitored it for over 24 hours before tier 2 support caved and sent another, this was a fresh replacement. The one now is a replacement for that, it had no issues in march, barely any apps, up until hooking it to our (very problematic verizon router, that is getting a light syn flood and ddos), following that it xontinued to have issies on a friends wifi from another isp im another state, her at&t phone acted weird as well, even had random calls from someone in my state that owns property here in this one, but has the same zip code under info searches online of the # and the same name as a friend in federal prison, these were to her phone, not mine. So this is the latest issue, along woth several over time.

There was never a factory reset, the one shipped to me had not been since near the release date, and no data or apps are lost, no date change after any verizon, htc, or android update.. the phone had been on for days prior to this, no red verizon screen auto restatt, unless i didnt notice it restarted itself, or this happened after another reboot. It has the wrong day entirely and the day prior to the previous.

Any ideas ? I havent found anything on stack exchange yet either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair