Verizon Galaxy Note 3 on T-Mobile...no simultaneous voice and data?

stuman74

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I just bought an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 3 from Groupon and it is the Verizon version. I have T-Mobile and moved my SIM card over from my iPhone 6. I followed the included APN instructions (maybe not correct) and can make calls and get data no problem.

But I am finding that I cannot talk and browse/access data at the same time via T-Mobile. On my iPhone 6 (which I purchased as the Verizon version actually), I popped in the T-Mobile SIM and have never had any issues with simultaneous voice and text. Is there a setting that I perhaps missed? Thanks!

EDIT: The model number is SM-N900V and is on KitKat 4.4.4

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
with out looking at the spec page for the verizon note 3 my guess would be your missing some or all of the proper bands and / or protocols for that feature to work correctly.
First thing i would do is look and see what bands are available for you on your phone, then see if they match up with what tmobile uses. Then see if they support HSDPA+ on what bands, then see if it supports LTE on what bands.
My note 3 TMO has VoLTE so i can talk and surf. I dont recall testing it with LTE off so not sure if it worked or not prior to VoLTE being enabled.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Are you on LTE? If you're connecting to a 3G-only tower, you won't get SVD.
Make sure in Settings, Wireless and Networks, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Network Mode, you're not on CDMA. Then in the same area (Settings, Wireless and Networks, More Settings, Mobile Networks, right below Network Mode, choose Access Point Names, and try these:

Name : T-Mobile LTE
APN: fast.tmobile.com
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN Type: default,supl,admin,dun,mms

I found those here, in case your current ones don't work.
[Tutorial] [APN] T-Mobile LTE [MMS] Settings | HTC One X+ | XDA Forums

stuman74

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
When I am not in a call, the top of the Note 3 has a 4G LTE indicator. When I make a phone call, the indicator and signal strength bars just right of that symbol disappear.

My settings are very similar:

Name : T-MOBILE
APN: fast.tmobile.com
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Protocol: <--this one is not a setting on the Note 3. There are a couple that are similar (MMS proxy and MMS port and neither are set).
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN Type: default,supl,admin,dun,mms

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
What were you on for Preferred Network Mode?
Global, or LTE/GSM/UMTS? Try the opposite one (just don't use LTE/CDMA as that won't work with TMobile).

stuman74

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I had tried both the first and third options in my list (Global and LTE/GSM/UMTS). Seems to be the same from my test. I left it now on Global at the moment.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you go into and out of Airplane Mode after switching settings? Need to renegotiate features with the tower. If that doesn't fix it, I'm out of ideas.

stuman74

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes...I did the airplane toggles, reboots, battery pulls...can't think of any other options at this point.

Are you (or anyone else in the forum) using the SM-N900V on T-Mobile and getting the sumultaneous voice/data?

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
with out looking at the spec page for the verizon note 3 my guess would be your missing some or all of the proper bands and / or protocols for that feature to work correctly.
First thing i would do is look and see what bands are available for you on your phone, then see if they match up with what tmobile uses. Then see if they support HSDPA+ on what bands, then see if it supports LTE on what bands.
My note 3 TMO has VoLTE so i can talk and surf. I dont recall testing it with LTE off so not sure if it worked or not prior to VoLTE being enabled.

I am going through similar issues with a new factory unlocked Galaxy Alpha I just put on my Metro/ Tmobile Service.
However I can get Voice and Data most of the time now.
On Metro and Tmo ALL the 4 G LTE Phones have special software to get data while on 4G/LTE Metro was one of the first even before Merger.
My Alpha does NOT have this so drops from LTE in display as soon as I make a call BUT on proper APN settings DOES allow Data/Internet while on a call.
You SHOULD see 3 G or H or H+ when you make a call .
You need LTE 1700/1900/2100
and 3G H+ hopefully the same or at least the 1900 if near a big city.

Suggest you don't worry about theory so much and experiment
with APN Settings.
Specifically IVp4 ; then try IVp6 and then :IVp4 and IVp6

Bearer unspecified but you might try LTE also .
Carefully screenshot what you have now and go thru the permutations including a second main APN for the Web address of the TMobile server normally used for Note 4 etc.Note 3 .
My friend' s Note 4 is IVp 6 but his is a Native Tmo Phone.
Unlocked Phones are over rated IMO because you often lose a little function EVEN IF they have all the Bands, they are not 99% optimised software wise for the specific Carrier.
This is not widely publicized on Forums and even Tmo Tforce etc.
Trial and Error on APN settings.

stuman74

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I bet it's a band limitation. Still haven't found a way to get the simultaneous voice and data. May need to send this back and either stay with my iPhone 6 or get the T-Mobile version of the Note 3.

I don't mind the big red Verizon splash screen at boot up, but the main limitations that are a problem are:

1.) Lack of simultaneous voice/data
2.) Can't enable mobile hotspot for T-Mobile
3.) Boot up has annoying SIM activation message (though, I figured out how to get rid of that)
4.) No iMessage (I knew this...try to use Hangouts as much as possible)
5.) No Apple Find My Friends (I knew this, but rest of household has iPhones)
6.) Bluetooth apparently keeps requiring that I tap on the device, via phone, each time I get in my car. iPhone would automatically connect.

I really want to get this Note 3 to suit my needs and work at least as good as my iPhone 6! :)

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
If you really want to exploit the full multitasking abilities of the Note and the speed of Tmo- get the Tmo version.

You will be able to be on hold on a call and surf the Web AND watch a Video lol.
I have gotten my unlocked Alpha( I wish it was a Note 4 Compact but it is powerful and fast ) to do voice and Internet sometimes in H+ mode but it does not always.
The APN needs to be in IPv4 and IPv6 .
Try it- my phone has the Bands but Metro /Tmo has VoLTE and everything is optimized for the Carrier in a Branded Phone.
This is my first Factory Unlocked because Metro/Tmo have no powerful small Androids ( no Alpha,NoZ3C).

But I miss the LTE staying on while on a call and the Web and sometimes can't get on Web for a minute or 2 after a call and need to for tasking etc.
So I have calls and texts great audio but no VoLTE get Note 4 on Tmo you will love it.
Carrier Branded Tmobile and Metro Phones have VoLTE so you get voice and FAST data/ internet all staying on LTE.
On unlocked phones even with all the proper bands the Phone drops to 3G H or H+ on a call and you will still have simultaneous Data but not VoLTE not LTE Data speed and voice simultaneously- that must be software enabled specifically by the Carrier.

Last edited: