Stock browser safe?

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I know that Google no longer patches Webview, so is the stock Note 3 browser safe? I have done some research into webview and it says that the vulnerabilities only affect phones running Android version 4.3 or lower. I am running 4.4.4 on my Note 3, so am I safe? I think I am but just want to make sure.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
4.4.4 patched the SSL/Hearbleed bug, so you're safe from that. (But if you need to be safe from that on a wireless connection, you're not practicing safe internet.)

Are you safe from everything? Not if you're connected to the internet in any way. (Some day that'll apply to the power grid too - someone will invent a virus that you can send to refrigerators to make them too warm, or something.)

Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and an anti-virus app and that should catch anything trying to play with your phone.

As for the stock browser, Internet ... well, it matches most Samsung apps - calling it barely usable is a compliment. I run Atlas Web Browser when I want a fast browser (almost nothing there, but it's fast) and Firefox Browser for Android when I want power and addons.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
FREAK is floating around now, I would suggest stick to a browser with more regular updates. Preferably a third party browser engine that has high degree of separation from the system itself.

In case you are wondering, I am evangelizing firefox.