Anyone on Note 3 Forum having to factory reset after the Lollipop 5.0 upgrade?

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a lot of folks on the Note 4 Forum are having to do a factory reset after Lollipop 5.0.1 update. Anyone on Note 3 Forum having to factory reset after the Lollipop 5.0 upgrade?

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I did a factory reset after my upgrade and no problems at all since. It is a major upgrade, not a minor one, and I recommend people prepare for a reset before upgrading. My phone runs better now than when I bought it with lollipop upgrade after a factory reset.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
IMO you should always factory reset after a major update like that. Its the best way to insure everything is right with your device before you go cruising along and then start having issues. I have found this to be the best way for any OS.

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I had lag and battery draining fast after upgrade. I did factory reset and navigation experience now is fantastic and battery rocks. Was thinking of getting note 4 edge before reset but postponed it for now :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Never having done a factory reset before, I was terrified. Yes,it's a pain in the @$$,but my massive battery drain vanished. My apps started running perfectly and quickly. I'm still recovering from the reset, but well worth the effort.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
As a friendly reminder - if you've not done a factory reset before, it's always a good best practice to backup your data beforehand.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes and what's the best way to do it?

Posted via my Galaxy Note3 on the Android Central App
That's the question we all don't want to attempt answering as there is no button press that does it all. You really got to do it once and find the best way for you next time.
This is ambassador @Rukbat's take on it:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=499341

I did it once last summer, around the same time as Jalopiejoe here (stop hiding ) and with that valuable experience I have no firm plan on how to do it again when I get Lollipop!

Sync all to your Samsung account, and remember your log in details. Have a look at Accounts - Samsung. Sync what you need to your Google account, I don't send photos to the cloud. If you use Google + that's gonna help.
Like Rukbat says, ensure contacts are Googled or merged, not on the device, Samsung does Samsung contacts sync too.
Use SMS Backup and Restore, or my preference SMS Backup +.

Drag all your media to a pc or storage. Dropbox was very helpful for me as well, I didn't send much to it but it saved some Samsung files.

Whether you want to use Helium for app data, or root and use Titanium or Rukbat's preference is up to you. I will just start my apps from scratch over 2 or 3 days.

You can backup and restore with Samsung Kies of course, but it won't do everything.

That's my dumb take on it, people will have more, better and smarter ideas. I don't mind, I hope I get more info too.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife let her Note 3 update - no cache clear, no factory reset - and it seems to be working fine. AT&T.