Will a crack on camera glass void the complete phone's warranty? Samsung-Note3

rimmymathew

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've a charging issue with my Note-3 and I've sent it for repair under warranty. But they've discovered a small crack on the camera glass and now asks 70$ for fixing the glass as its not covered under warranty. I've told them I need only the powering issue to be fixed, but they say they can only do a complete repair of the phone and I've to pay for the camera glass. The camera glass crack was not at all a problem for me and its barely noticeable. They are going to send the phone back without fixing the charging issue as I'm not ready to pay for the camera glass.

Someone please help me understand if this policy is justifiable or they are trying to fool me.

Thanks in advance.

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
It is policy, whether or not it's ethical is up for debate. Charger port broke on my exs S4 and her phone was returned unrepaired and warranty voided because of a crack in the camera lens.

I pressed hard and got nowhere with Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The policy is that they send you a completely working phone - anything wrong has to be fixed. Since it's no longer under warranty you have to pay for the cracked camera glass even if the phone came that way.

Is it justified? Due to human greed, yes. If they returned the phone to you with the glass cracked, you could claim that they cracked it or it was cracked in shipping and that you wanted the phone replaced, and in most places they'd have to do that. (Once they do more than a visual inspection of the phone, they're responsible for anything that happens to it. It's the same with the manufacturer, the carrier or an independent repair shop. Car transmission repair shops have to work the same way - if they open the transmission case, everything not working up to specs has to be fixed.)