GPS using offline mapping

joedm126

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for a good GPS offline mapping app to use on my Note 3 for long trips once in a while. I would like an app to have the below features at a minimum:

-Voice turn by turn directions
-Offline mapping – for long trips
-Traffic conditions with automatic rerouting – I know I will have to engage the online mapping from time to time to get updates on traffic conditions
-Realistic map display with lane assistant (when changing major intersections/lanes)
-Points of interest – for finding a place to eat

I am driving from Long Island to upstate NY and then Long Island to Florida. I won’t need this too often but just 2-3 times per year as I can use google for local directions since it works well for this need. I am looking at both MapFactor GOP and Sygic GPS Navigation. I am leaning towards Sygic since this is most like the GPS I had before it broke.

Both cost about the same when using the Tom Tom mapping. MapFactor offers a free version using openstreet maps data. I am not familiar with openstreet maps and if it’s better or worse than the paid Tom Tom version. Any thoughts on two versions?

I am thinking of trying the MapFactor free version for my trip to upstate and then the Sygic to Florida since it has a free 1 week trial. Then I would have to decide which one I like better for the trip back. But I still wouldn’t know how the MapFactor compares when using the paid for maps.

Suggestions? Thank you.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I was going to suggest HERE (beta) in the Samsung App Store, but when I try to launch it, it says there was a problem, try later, so I don't know if it even still works.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You can download Here in the Play Store now so you don't need the Samsung version. I can open it just fine on my Note 3 so try that version.