Please help - random notification sound when nothing received

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I factory reset my Note 3 due to battery issues. The jury's still out as to whether this fixed it but I now have another problem. I get a notification sound at random intervals - can be 3 in 30 minutes or 1 every 6 hours. There is no notification to be seen when I drag the bar down to look. Annoyingly, when this happens during the night the phone buzzes although I have it set to silent not vibrate.

I have looked on the web for solutions and there seem to be plenty of other people with the same issue on the Note 3 but I can't find a solution. Things which were suggested which I've tried but didn't solve it include turning off NFC, installing Notification History (no notifications showing when noise sounds) and uninstalling potential problem apps such as GPS Status. The 2 main suggestions seem to be to factory reset which is exactly what I had done and Settings>Accessibility>Vision and turn off Notification Reminder but then I get no notifications at all which rather defeats the object.

Does anyone have any suggestions please, it's driving me mad?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I once had a similar problem on another phone and solved it in an odd way. I tried every notification sound until I found the one playing randomly and deleted it. It never happened again. The trouble is my phone was rooted then so I don't know if you can delete a system sound without root.

Of course that isn't a real solution. Some app is doing it. Finding which is pretty tough unless it shows up in notification bar.

Pinmac

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I don't think I explained very well. It's not a random sound, it is whatever I have chosen as the default sound for Notifications so I can't delete any of the sounds. I'm sure you're right about some app doing it but the strange thing is that I haven't downloaded any apps that I didn't already have on my Note 3 before I factory reset. Looks like it might be easier to factory reset and start again from scratch but what a pain when I've just done it once.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If you do a reset I suggest a different sound for each app notification. Maybe then you can track it down. Have you tried opening every app to shut off notifications?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781