Google Play services not compatible with my device?

Leahjean93

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Note 3 and I had to restore to factory settings because I couldn't change my lock screen. I had it set to the signature thing to unlock it and I got sick of it, couldn't remember the pin to turn it off. So my only option was factory reset. I'm so irritated. I've been all over this forum trying to find a solution and so far nothing has worked. I've tried clearing the cache as someone suggested and that didn't work. I don't know what to do. Is my phone basically just worthless now?! Please help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not entirely clear on the details--what do you mean by "signature thing"? Are you talking about the pattern unlock? Or is there some feature that allowed you to actually sign your name to unlock it?

What happened after the factory reset? Were you able to go through the Setup Wizard? Were you asked to enter the login information of the Google account that was previously on the phone before you could proceed?

hardup

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
B Daddy, I don't think you understood the OP.

I have the same problem.
For me, I purchased a second hand Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
I updated the factory software from 4.3 to Lollipop using the Samsung provided update using the Kies program.
Updated fine.
Problem, now installing apps such as Gmail, eBay, Gumtree, Hangouts is useless.
When trying to run these apps, they state that you need to update Google Play services to use the app.
So you press the update link, it opens Google Play, and the Google Play Services update these apps need to run, is stated to be "not compatible with your device"
I figured I would have to go and try to find older versions of the apps to use that won't be using the newer version of Google Play Services. ?

Help! This is my first Samsung, and this issue far from impresses me.
My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is the SM 9005 model.

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You can download and sideload the latest Google Play Services apk file, but it doesn't 100% solve the issue. It will still throw error messages here and there while trying to use/sync Google apps.

• Factory reset the phone twice (the first time is when this issue started happening - followed up with a second reset which did nothing to help)
  • Re-flashed the factory image in Kies 3
  • Cleared cache a few times via recovery
  • Downloaded and sideloaded the latest (9.2.56) Google Play Services apk

This is on a Canadian version of the Note 3 operating on Telus

Last edited:

Fiddes79

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
hi,
I'm having the same problem, I've had my Galaxy note 3 SM-N9005 for over a year and have never had a problem with it, then a few days ago I started having problems with my sim card, I kept getting the message no sim card inserted , after a lot of searching for advice and not finding a lot, switching the phone off and on, removing battery etc. etc. I decided the best way forward was to do a factory reset, it hasn't solved the problem completely but it is much better! but since then I keep getting messages from various apps saying "wont run unless you update google play services" but when I click to update it from play store it says "your device isn't compatible with this version"
I have looked every where but can find nothing please help!!!
My provider is 3 mobile in england
many thanks

66aaaa

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi HERE is the solution!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/698188-why-my-note-3-not-compatible-google-play-services.html#post5258711

07-10-2016, 10:00 AM #7
123dwayne

"Hey! I found a fix!!!

Ok, first of all find Google play services in the app manager in setting > general > applications > all.

Uninstall all updates button.

Then go to this page;
https://www.androidpit.com/install-google-play-services-apk#betterway

Then follow the instructions and install the latest version.

Restart phone, then it works fine for me. "

I hope it is working 4U2 :)
66aaaa

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
B Daddy, I don't think you understood the OP.
This is true, which is why I said that I'm not entirely clear on the details.

So you press the update link, it opens Google Play, and the Google Play Services update these apps need to run, is stated to be "not compatible with your device"
Instead of trying to update on the phone itself, try going to the Google Play Services page on the Play Store website on your computer browser (not your phone browser): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.google.android.gms&hl=en&token=UQeM3Aio. Tap Installed--does your Note 3 show up in that list?

Help! This is my first Samsung, and this issue far from impresses me.
It's a shame that you're having these kinds of problems, but you did mention that this is a second-hand phone, so it's very difficult to know if it's had any issues in the past (or if perhaps the previous owner rooted and modified it at some point, which might have caused issues going forward).

jhymers

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Same issue.

My Note3 is not a secondhand phone.

It worked fine until I factory reset.

After the factory reset I was unable to use any google related app unless I updated 'google play services', BUT the effing thing won't update coz it has that message.

Im in New Zealand so its an issue world wide no doubt.

I rang google. They said it was a samsung issue and they put me through to samsung.
Samsung took me through different steps in an effort to find a solution and none worked until I did a second factory reset BUT this time I decided to uncheck the 'restore' box before I went through with the reset.

It worked.

UNTIL I synced google and samsung which led to my 'backup' apps installing. I then was exactly where I was before the second factory reset.

So here I am telling you my story after doing a third reset and preventing the apps from installing themselves.

Im very hesitant to install anything from a third party site so unless google fix it Im stuffed. Fml

jhymers

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Update. I found a solution.

I went to the google play store and downloaded an app called 'google play service info' (AFTER I did another factory reset - I didnt connect to the internet and disabled any restoration and syncs for apps etc.. I needed to do the google play service update first).

Before I did anything with the newly installed app I went into my: Settings, Application Manager, All.

I looked for 'google play service', and clicked on it.

I looked at the number in the bracket up the top. It had numbers followed by "-438" the number you have is important and is explained via the app (google play services info).

I read through the WHOLE lot PROPERLY and what it says (for example) is that phones who had google play services with the numbers after the minus/parentheses that were -438 (there were two other sets of number versions mentioned too)... had infact changed for some reason. Its just the first number after the minus that is different. Example for mine being -438 it had changed to -238. The other two sets now have a different firsr number too.

I downloaded and installed the latest apk that was -238 and BOOM! Problem solved for me.. I was then able to update all my shizznit. I did notice that the lock screen pic that I chose doesn't quite fit and looks stretched out however that aside I havent found any issues with anything, I play pokemon and thats all good, youtube is fine, Gmail is fine etc...

I was super hesitant to download the apk, however, its done, my phone isn't a crappy piece of crap and I'm happy.Google needs to sort their **** out! Ammatures!

nattye5

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi HERE is the solution!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/as...patible-google-play-services.html#post5258711

07-10-2016, 10:00 AM #7
123dwayne

"Hey! I found a fix!!!

Ok, first of all find Google play services in the app manager in setting > general > applications > all.

Uninstall all updates button.

Then go to this page;
https://www.androidpit.com/install-google-play-services-apk#betterway

Then follow the instructions and install the latest version.

Restart phone, then it works fine for me. "

I hope it is working 4U2 :)
66aaaa

I can't uninstal updates beacose they don't exist on my phone...pls help me beacose my phone it's not working

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that this is a problem on the Samsung side, rather than the Google side. Try contacting Samsung support and see if they are aware of a specific problem with the Note 3 and Google Play Services.

zetael Ou

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Thank you Jmyhers!

Followed your advice, found the lastest -238 google play service, installed it and no more error!

The version i downloaded was v8.4.89(2428711-238)

Hope this works for everyone else!

Ladymystikal

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you to jhymers!!!

Thank you SO MUCH for your tip. If I read delete the cache and data one more time I think I would go mad because I had tried EVERYTHING(Including factory reset). I finally can access all Google applications on my samsung

nikefan

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
Hi There,
I have bought a phone (Samsung Galaxy On5 2016) which she bought in China.
I have no idea how to install the Google Play Services. I cannot get google maps and other apps.
When I try to download certain apps, it says it is installed but on my other previous devices and does not recognise my phone when I need to "choose a device" under the compatible search.

I'm not sure if this makes sense.
Hope someone can help
Many thanks in advance

trigrgrip

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
I had an Asus HD 10 with same issue. Go to settings, then scroll to about this tablet/device, click, then select 'system update'. When finished, reboot. Back in businesss. NOTE: system update and factory reset are not the same. Do not factory reset.!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz