Note 3 still going strong!

mediasvi

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I have looked into every Note that has come out after buying my Note 3 and find it odd that how great the Note 3 was as a cell phone Samsung totally screwed up on keeping it a great phone. What they did in three updates was just take away things that set the Note 3 apart from all the others. Why not just keep all the the great Note 3 features and add to them? I will wait for the next Note to come out as my Note 3 still works great and looks as good as it did the day I bought it.

Something I think about when upgrading is "what do I get for the cost" and when it comes to cell phones this is blurred to an extreme. Lets look at what I would get for the cost if I upgrade to the Note 7 from my Note 3.

What I would gain that means something to me.
Note 7 $849: I would gain Water Proofing.

What I would lose that I use a lot.
Note 3 Own: IR Blaster, Battery Removal.

$849 for a cell phone that pretty much still does not live up to the Note 3 is crazy. Sure the Note 7 has a few bells and whistles but lacks an IR Blaster and Battery removal and if those things do matter to you than the Note 7 really has nothing worth $849 to upgrade for IMHO.

#Note3

Last edited:

Zello_Police

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Man o man. I couldn't agree with you in more than aspect given your profile pic.
I tell ya, I haven't been able to justify upgrading my note 3 for the past almost 3 years.

A master reset along with a new battery a new tempered glass and case and it's like having a brand new device with a 5.7 inch display that hardly anything out there can touch.
One thing that keeps me liking my note 3 is the squatter wider form factor. Everyone has something to say about my device It's a conversation piece when I pull it out in a social gathering.
With that said and after reading your post, I think I'm going to hold on to my Note 3 for a little bit longer.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree with everything that has been said. Although I wish for a better low light camera, it's hard to justify spending $850 for the Note 7 in order to get that.

Furthermore, with my 6400 mah Anker extended battery, I never have any power depletion anxiety.

Posted via the Android Central App

Antony Guan

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
get the S7 edge! if you don't use s pen features. I loved my note 3 it bogged down on the kitkat days but after lollipop update it magically got a lot more smoother

Gearu

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
My Note 3 is about to enter it's 4th year of service. Still running the original Jelly Bean out of the box, nothing wrong with it.
I would love some extra resolution, a newer slicker version of android, a sexier phone in my hand in general, and the permission disabling abilities of Marshmallow- plus some other nifty features, but after laughing at the Note 5 and continuing to wait for a worthy replacement, all the Note7 did is make me consider buying a Note 4 and stuffing Marshmallow on it. Hell you can even get a ported Marshmallow for the Note 3 from what I saw while poking around today.

I went and held a Note 7 at the shop recently and both the glass and metal frame felt like plastic- and it was a working model not a dummy. Just more disappointment. Screen seemed a tad less bright aswell on max, but it was hard to compare against my N3 cause I couldn't get the damn thing (N7) to do what I wanted.
The Note 3 is still great and worthy of it's place on the 'mobile red carpet'. If anything happens to it I'll be getting a 4 though, the unmistakably metal body, 1440p and official MM would be worth the speaker position tradeoff. And they're about $450 AU sealed new now. The Note7 is $1350 AU.... 3 times the cost- and reports are coming in of Gorilla Glass 5 scratching easily.

Hail the Note 3.

mediasvi

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Cool reading the replies. Its funny I am on my 3rd Otterbox Defender case (get them off eBay cheap) my phone is like new when removed. Still original battery going on 3 years. I am looking into a Android 6.0 Rom should the apps start to not work or start making the phone slow down as I am on A5.0

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Cool reading the replies. Its funny I am on my 3rd Otterbox Defender case (get them off eBay cheap) my phone is like new when removed. Still original battery going on 3 years. I am looking into a Android 6.0 Rom should the apps start to not work or start making the phone slow down as I am on A5.0

5.0 should be able to run things plenty for at least another year or three.

mediasvi

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Well I just found out that with Andorid 7 which came out on Aug 22 Qualcomm will not be updating the Note 3 chips for it. The line has been drawn and now the end of the Note 3 is counting down. I have Auto Update off but in time apps will stop working. I am thinking another year or so?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I just found out that with Andorid 7 which came out on Aug 22 Qualcomm will not be updating the Note 3 chips for it. The line has been drawn and now the end of the Note 3 is counting down. I have Auto Update off but in time apps will stop working. I am thinking another year or so?
My guess is two years before any apps that matter aren't supported; or longer.

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Until yesterday I would have agreed with every Note3 lover statement but my s pen isn't working and I can't get a replacement. Spark (where it was bought) says "buy online" while Samsung say "buy from this list of retailers.." Bummer. I will not replace the phone with another Samsung if there's no support here in New Zealand.

Posted via Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Until yesterday I would have agreed with every Note3 lover statement but my s pen isn't working and I can't get a replacement. Spark (where it was bought) says "buy online" while Samsung say "buy from this list of retailers.." Bummer. I will not replace the phone with another Samsung if there's no support here in New Zealand.

Have you checked Amazon?

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I checked with Amazon and although I didn't source it there, I am getting the genuine article from an ebay trader - which I probably wouldn't have considered without your suggestion. So thank you! No sooner had I done this when my pen decided to perform again. Technology huh, still, I reckon it's on the way out :)

mediasvi

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I just ordered a new factory S-Pen off of eBay under $10 free shipping. Works perfectly.

With all of the talk about the Note 8 I still am thinking it will not be worth the money. Going forward the Note 3's biggest draw back is going to be developers not writing for it. Looking at Note 4's now as they are 64 bit which means they should be around a long time.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I just ordered a new factory S-Pen off of eBay under $10 free shipping. Works perfectly.

With all of the talk about the Note 8 I still am thinking it will not be worth the money. Going forward the Note 3's biggest draw back is going to be developers not writing for it. Looking at Note 4's now as they are 64 bit which means they should be around a long time.

Hey, just wondering what decision you made about your next Note or whatever?

mediasvi

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey, just wondering what decision you made about your next Note or whatever?

Well today I compared the stats of the Note 3 to the Note 8 and I do not like it. I think curved glass is a fad and useless to me. The Note 8 is thinner and longer also. I am staying with my Note 3 and looking to buy a new Note 4 for it's 64bit OS, together they should take care of my cell phones needs for many more years to come.

Jeffeysmom

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
I am looking at N4's now. I love my N3 but would like better camera quality.

Douglasrac

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Your forgot to mention that upgrading to another phone you will also love humidity sensor and temperature sensor. 2 sensor that I never saw in any other phone.
The temperature sensor is useless but the humidity sensor is pretty good and it does help me.
I live in a area that have a severe dry season and I programed my Note 3 to tell me when humidity is below 30% before I go to sleep to remind me to put the humidifier into work.
I even went to the website of the manufacturer of the sensor and asked which other phones they supply sensors to and got no reply.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante