Any spigen case owners here?

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I am getting my Note 4 soon, and I am looking for a case, even though the device is already big as it is. Does anyone own the Spigen Tough Armor for the Note 4? I just want to know how do you think of the case, in terms of quality, etc. Thanks.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I am getting my Note 4 soon, and I am looking for a case, even though the device is already big as it is. Does anyone own the Spigen Tough Armor for the Note 4? I just want to know how do you think of the case, in terms of quality, etc. Thanks.
I like it but the only downside I would say is the straight edges on the side aren't the most comfortable to hold. But it's definitely my more protective go to so far. Slim Armor is my daily d. because it is just way more comfortable to hold and there not a huge difference in protection level. I have and like both, but if I was going to buy one, it would be the Slim.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I like it but the only downside I would say is the straight edges on the side aren't the most comfortable to hold. But it's definitely my more protective go to so far. Slim Armor is my daily d. because it is just way more comfortable to hold and there not a huge difference in protection level. I have and like both, but if I was going to buy one, it would be the Slim.

Thanks for the reply. I think the design on the Tough Armor looks a little better comparing to the Slim Armor (in my opinion). In your opinion, which case fits your pocket better? Is it easy to take it off your pocket, etc.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I think the design on the Tough Armor looks a little better comparing to the Slim Armor (in my opinion). In your opinion, which case fits your pocket better? Is it easy to take it off your pocket, etc.
Slim armor because of the smoother lines but honestly, there isn't a huge difference. The tough does look good but the slim is nice too. I was sold on the tough armor as well which is why I bought it but after getting my hands in the slim, I was hooked. As I said I have like and use both and another one as well. They both slide in and out of pockets easily. An option would be to order both from Amazon and send back your lesser choice.

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Slim armor because of the smoother lines but honestly, there isn't a huge difference. The tough does look good but the slim is nice too. I was sold on the tough armor as well which is why I bought it but after getting my hands in the slim, I was hooked. As I said I have like and use both and another one as well. They both slide in and out of pockets easily. An option would be to order both from Amazon and send back your lesser choice.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think it's going to be a hard choice for me to choose between those two. What about the grips on both cases? Which case has a more grip feel in your opinion? Do you have any issues putting screen protectors in general? I am planning to buy a glass screen protector for my Galaxy Note 4 as well, so I want to know what you think. Thanks again.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I think it's going to be a hard choice for me to choose between those two. What about the grips on both cases? Which case has a more grip feel in your opinion? Do you have any issues putting screen protectors in general? I am planning to buy a glass screen protector for my Galaxy Note 4 as well, so I want to know what you think. Thanks again.
The grip on the slim is better IMO. Rounded edges vs. square. Just more comfortable. This was my deciding reason to order after the tough armor. The only decent glass screen protectors are smaller than the glass so no issues there. Even the first one I tried that was edge to edge wasn't affected by the cases.

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The grip on the slim is better IMO. Rounded edges vs. square. Just more comfortable. This was my deciding reason to order after the tough armor. The only decent glass screen protectors are smaller than the glass so no issues there. Even the first one I tried that was edge to edge wasn't affected by the cases.

That was a super quick response. Sorry I have been asking too many questions, but I still have a few more. Is the back of the Tough armor easy to get scratched? And, in terms of protection, how do you think both cases do? Can it survive basic drops, such as falling out from your pocket and drop it to a hard surface floor? That's only if you experienced them (I hope you don't), if you haven't experienced any drops, that's fine.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The back has nibs on the corners that keep that back from contacting the surface it's laying on. I haven't scratched it yet and I wouldn't say I'm overly cautious. As far as drops, I've dropped it twice in the tough armor and three times in the slim armor. All were on tile floors from waist to chest height. No damage at all to the phone or cases. Drops are subjective though. A drop the wrong way on commercial carpet has been known to crack screens so... As always your mileage may vary.

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The back has nibs on the corners that keep that back from contacting the surface it's laying on. I haven't scratched it yet and I wouldn't say I'm overly cautious. As far as drops, I've dropped it twice in the tough armor and three times in the slim armor. All were on tile floors from waist to chest height. No damage at all to the phone or cases. Drops are subjective though. A drop the wrong way on commercial carpet has been known to crack screens so... As always your mileage may vary.

The only type of drop that I am afraid from using these cases are drops that are directly facing the screen... I am using the Galaxy S3 at the moment, with the Otterbox Commuter Case. It does very well with drops, including drops that are directly facing the screen. I just don't know if the Tough or Slim Armor will do that as well. But at the same time, I don't want a super bulky case like the Otterbox Commuter, since the Note 4 is already huge as it is. What do you think of this?

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The only type of drop that I am afraid from using these cases are drops that are directly facing the screen... I am using the Galaxy S3 at the moment, with the Otterbox Commuter Case. It does very well with drops, including drops that are directly facing the screen. I just don't know if the Tough or Slim Armor will do that as well. But at the same time, I don't want a super bulky case like the Otterbox Commuter, since the Note 4 is already huge as it is. What do you think of this?
The commuter has a softer front lip than the spigens. Albeit more pronounced it gives more. So I would put the front fall in the same category as the commuter. I had your same sentiments case wise which is why I chose the spigens.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody,

Simply love the Tough Armor. Good luck, very sturdy, slim for its type. I am very pleased. I like the hard shell edge.

Unlike the last Otterbox Commuter I had, it has the layers already snapped into place. It makes it a breeze to get on and off. There's no reason to pull it apart in normal circumstances.

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Simply love the Tough Armor. Good luck, very sturdy, slim for its type. I am very pleased. I like the hard shell edge.

Unlike the last Otterbox Commuter I had, it has the layers already snapped into place. It makes it a breeze to get on and off. There's no reason to pull it apart in normal circumstances.

Alright, I think my case decision is set, either the Tough or Slim armor. Thanks for the help from you guys so far. As for screen protector, I heard lots of people are having the "halo" effect with the glass screen protectors, is this true?

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I think my case decision is set, either the Tough or Slim armor. Thanks for the help from you guys so far. As for screen protector, I heard lots of people are having the "halo" effect with the glass screen protectors, is this true?
Its true. There are a few options that have minimal halo. I just put a MyBat on today and its virtually halo free. Edges aren't rounded with 2.5D like some others but if you're using a case, this isn't a huge deal anyway. Supershieldz is good but short on the bottom makes the capacitive button presses awkward. Bear motion was good but the fingerprint/smudge issue was unbearable.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

--Start with the Tough if you're not going to demo both. If you like it, done. You're happy and got their max protection case. If you start with the Slim, you'll always wonder if you could've liked the Tough, too, but sacrificed some protection.

--It's hard to find things without a halo. For my money, it's most annoying when the device is OFF. Some are fussier than others. I've gotten used to it. I object more to the entire screen not being covered--no one seems to be doing that--but the viewable portion is protected and just having on there means there is a bit of a raised area that will take the impact rather than the overall screen. It is what it is at this point. Nothing is perfect, and these certainly aren't, but they help.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I own it and it is great quality. For sure the phone feels protected. It will make it feel bigger though. I ended up going with the Samsung S-View case as I wanted wireless charging.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

imo, the Slim Armor is no more bulky than a Commuter.

OP, I have the Slim Armor and prefer it over the Tough Armor for the same reasons other users have stated. It fits in my pocket better, it is easier to hold, and it provides as much protection as the Tough Armor.

I am probably going to switch to the Commuter soon, only because I have been using that for all of my Galaxy devices. I got the Slim Armor because it was the same type of case and it was the only one available when I first got my Note.

I may also try the Verus Thor, which as a similar design to the Slim Armor and the Commuter.

ipwn3r456

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to brought back an old topic, but what do you guys have to say about the kickstand for either tough or slim armor cases? I heard it's cheap quality and easily broken.

laspahr

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Does the Tough Armor case work with the Verizon variant? I really like the look of the case but I know the phone is designed slightly different than the other variants

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34