Bluetooth earbud recommendation

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for suggestions on Bluetooth earbuds.

To give you an idea of what I am looking for: I have been content with the stock earbuds for my needs: phone calls, podcasts and music.

I'm a Gen X'er beginning to reap the rewards of a lifetime of listening to loud music and loud headphones. ie I am not looking for the most amazing sound. It would be a waste of time and money for my ears these days.

I'm looking for "good enough" audio quality for calls. I am more concerned with charge life and durability.

I'm starting to read reviews now, so I am completely open to suggestions.

Here are two I found at best buy this morning. I'm considering them, but definitely open to other suggestions.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416937969235.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416937969235.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 208

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Bluebuds are nice if you need the small form factor + battery life but there are better options at much lower price points if you can sacrifice one or the other.

The LG Tone Pro will give you better sound quality (due to supporting the AptX codec instead of the older SBC codec) and better battery life at under half the price.

LG Tone Pro Bluetooth Headset Black HBS-750.ACUSBKK - Best Buy

They have a "collar" design though which may be a turnoff.

If you want the light design but can deal with somewhat shorter battery life, the Plantronics BackBeat Go 2. Again they support AptX so you will get better audio quality at a lower price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIOAM4Y...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4083631

Not sure if that link will work properly...

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I thought I had posted the other picture in my OP.

I've never bothered to pay attention to codecs before. I assume that I can look for the AptX codec in the device specs?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416947081151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416947081151.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 162

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the Jay Bluebuds X for my Note Edge, and they sound good. If you get them, you should get the poweramp app as the Samsung stock music player equalizer does not work with Bluetooth headphones

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Bluebuds are nice if you need the small form factor + battery life but there are better options at much lower price points if you can sacrifice one or the other.

The LG Tone Pro will give you better sound quality (due to supporting the AptX codec instead of the older SBC codec) and better battery life at under half the price.

LG Tone Pro Bluetooth Headset Black HBS-750.ACUSBKK - Best Buy

They have a "collar" design though which may be a turnoff.

If you want the light design but can deal with somewhat shorter battery life, the Plantronics BackBeat Go 2. Again they support AptX so you will get better audio quality at a lower price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIOAM4Y...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4083904

Not sure if that link will work properly...

I have the LG Tone Pro headset as well. Definitely recommend this set. Had the HBS-730 for almost 2 years and used them everyday. I wear a Polo type shirt to work and this unit sets under the collar very well. Easy to put an ear bud in and answer a call without having to have the bud in ear when not in use. Not that it's uncomfortable, just blocks my hearing for no reason. I also use them at the gym for an hour or two six days a week. We are a family of 5, and everyone in the family now has either the 730's or 750's. Battery life is at least three days for 8 to 10 hours each day.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the Jay Bluebuds X for my Note Edge, and they sound good. If you get them, you should get the poweramp app as the Samsung stock music player equalizer does not work with Bluetooth headphones

been using these with my N2 and now N$, love them

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
My other "complaint" that I am trying to overcome with my choice of earbuds is the placement of the mic/call controls.

I am trying to avoid the situation I am having with the stock earbuds...whenever I wear them, the mic is prone to catching/snagging on my collar or jacket zipper, which creates a lot of background noise for the callers on the other end. I can never hear the sounds, so I am completely unaware unless the caller complains.

So..for example..that is one reason I am hesitant to buy the Plantronics BackBeat Go 2.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have experience with these Sony earbuds? They're getting great reviews at Amazon.

Sony SBH80
Look nice, but do you plan on having them in your ears all the time when wearing them? The buds on my LG's make it hard to hear normal conversation going on around me. So, during work the buds rest in the holders until needed. At the gym, blocking out conversation is the point of wearing them in the first place.

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I also use them at the gym for an hour or two six days a week. We are a family of 5, and everyone in the family now has either the 730's or 750's. Battery life is at least three days for 8 to 10 hours each day..
Any issues with skipping or audio glitches while using these with the Note 4? I have a set of the Motorola Buds and have random intermittent glitches in the audio while listening to music.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the LG HBS-730s, I also have the Bluebud Xs, and I bought a pair of MEElectronics Runaway over the ear bluetooth earphones.

If they all cost the same, I'd say the Bluebuds X are my favorite but Jaybird's customer service is horrible. I had issue with one of the earbuds after only 3 months (started to separate from the inside cushion). The service rep that I contacted said that the earbud cushions aren't warrantied. Considering I spent close to $200 on them, I was disappointed.

The LGs sound good but if you are going to use them for working out in, I couldn't imagine them sitting comfortably on your neck when working up a sweat (and I'm not sure they're sweat proof like the Bluebud Xs).

The MEElectronic earphones have a lot of dropout and I only purchased them because they were selling for $30 and I wanted to see if the sound quality would be better for an over-the-ear set of headphones. They do not, and this product is rather disappointing, but for $30 I was expecting it.

I would be curious if the new iBeats bluetooth earphones were better quality, but I had some wired pair that came with an HTC phone and I don't think they were much better quality than even some inexpensive sonys that I had at the time.

Oh and I've mentioned before, I don't consider "good quality" in earphones based on how much bass they pump out. I much prefer detail in audio at decent volumes so that's also something to consider, if you're wanting thunderous bass then you might consider the Beats since that's what they're more geared for.

LG Tones are on sale if you follow the instructions here btw LG Tone+ HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset $40 + Free Shipping - Best Buy Deals, Coupons and Promos

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Look nice, but do you plan on having them in your ears all the time when wearing them? The buds on my LG's make it hard to hear normal conversation going on around me. So, during work the buds rest in the holders until needed. At the gym, blocking out conversation is the point of wearing them in the first place.

I would be using the earbuds like you are describing. When not in use they would hang around my neck. So the tone pro and Sonys have my attention right now.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Any issues with skipping or audio glitches while using these with the Note 4? I have a set of the Motorola Buds and have random intermittent glitches in the audio while listening to music.

My HBS-730's started dropping calls but worked fine for music not long after I got the Note 4, they had worked fine for my Note 3 for a year and I'm not sure which device had an issue. I'm thinking it's the Note. I borrowed my wife's 750 for 3 days and had no issues. So I got a new 750 and gave the 730 to my youngest daughter. She uses them with her S4 and has not had an issue.

As far as using them in the gym, I have not had an issue yet. I was a little concerned about sweat because the power switch in on the inside but it's not been an issue so far. I now see 5 or 6 other guys wearing the same LG style in the gym daily.

I'm not having any issues with the 750's at all. Reading reviews on Amazon and my wife having the same is why I went with them. It seems the newer models are not quite as popular and have one issue or another.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I was personally considering the PowerBeats 2 by Beats Audio. Does anyone have any experience with those? Normally I'm a Bose guy but they don't have an option in the wireless earbud market.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs