Wireless Charging Benefits?

joediver

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I really don't get the benefits of the wireless charging pad.......

You can't find a case that works with them yet so you have to go caseless.
You still have to have the USB cord to power the pad.
Using the pad you're giving up the quick charge speed.

I'm a gadget guy that loves all the toys but I just don't get this one.

Can someone enlighten me?

Posted via Android Central App

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
For me, only one benefit. Never having to fiddle with cords. You put it down to charge and pick it up when you're ready to go. Just convenience. Quick charging makes it less useful but I like having the option.

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Another benefit about not having to use cords: the phone's USB port won't wear out/break over time. I've personally never had an issue with a worn out micro USB port but it does seem to be an issue that comes up for people from time to time so anything that can reduce the wear and tear is a big plus to me. And since the battery on the Note 4 is swappable, not having to worry about the possible shortened lifespan of the battery (due to the extra heat caused by wireless charging) is also pretty nice.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Another thing is not fumbling in the dark trying to find the micro port and worrying about scratching the metal outside. Being able to just drop and pick up your phone like normal from the charge pad is also cool. You can do the same in your car. Have a pad on your console and just drop your phone on it and pick it up. At one point you get so used to it that when you do plug in, you forget to unplug and pull up your phone with the cable still connected. If you are a real nerd, you can place or hide a charger under a coffee table or night stand and charge your phone by just laying it on the furniture. As for your comment about having to go caseless, you are incorrect. Lots of cases work with wireless charging. Last thing, it is just so dam geeky it is cool.

konehd

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Lots of cases work with wireless charging. Last thing, it is just so dam geeky it is cool.

Ya, I love the wireless charge. Have it on the Wife's S5 and my N4.
Which cases will fit with the Samsung Qi Back? I have a i-blason that wont quite fit around the front and am looking for a better fit...

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

konehd

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks!

On a whim I picked up another i-blaston case with a kickstand and holster. It just fits with the chage back on, but you cant use the holster with it, its streached out too much.

I'll use this one till something better comes along...

layout98

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The wireless charging construct goes back to the days of the Palm Pre and the idea was that you'd have a charging dock in places that you'd normally put your phone down (night stand, car cubby/dock, and on your desk at work.) I don't know about anyone else, but I have a charger in all those places but I don't plug my phone in at every stop but I do lay/set it down.

In addition to the no plug convenience, you 'top off' your phone while it's sitting idle, or burn less battery if your using it in the car dock. I have found that if you only charge your phone at night then the wireless charging is not a whole lot more convenient. But if you're a person who likes your phone almost at full battery whenever you pick it up, then wireless charging makes sense.

I agree with many folks that Samsung makes it cost prohibitive because you have to buy the back and that getting a case that fits is a pain along with the cost of other charging pads. But if you get a frame/bumper case, there's really no need to protect the back (as you put the original back onto your phone when you sell or trade it in).

Again, it's not for everybody, but I like that my phone is almost fully charged whenever I pick it up and I never think about looking for an outlet or charging station anymore.

Last edited:

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I became hooked on wireless charging with the Palm Pre... Had a charging puck on the desk, dashboard, nightstand and one in the overnight bag for traveling...

I'm using the S-view flip cover w/ wireless charging built in. For charging pads, I picked up 3 Micobox A6 three coil charging cradles, the ones with the slanted base, ... one for the desk, dashboard and nightstand. :)

My battery life has been so good that I really don't need the one in the car, I've been getting home after 12 hours or so and still have 30% left, and that lasts until I go to bed around 11....(16-18 hours is perfect, I sleep, the phone recharges, at the same time. At 530 it's fully charged and off I go... The one in the car is great for road trips, keeps it topped off even when using Goole Maps to navigate.

Wish I could have used the old magnetic Palm charging pucks, though... ;-)

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a wireless/ NFC sticker for my wife's new Note4.
I too was a big fan of the Palm Touchstone chargers and modded a Pixi sticker for my S3.
I've since gone over to Qi charging in car, desk, nightstand.
Way better (IMO) for the grab and go, even if the charging rate is less than USB.
But then, this phone doesn't come with USB 3.0 anyhow.

Last edited:

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I have two of the Ikea laps with built in wireless and it's very convenient. Not so much for quick charging but for overnight, set and forget. The laps are kind of ugly though but my friend got me his friends/family discount so it was cheaper than normal. I might paint them black to match the rest of my furniture.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
You can go with something like this. It lets you use your normal battery cover and case.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4500466

You can also try this mod. I did it and it works fine for me. You basically remove the charging coil from the official Samsung Wireless Cover and use that along with your normal battery cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-FEBpDieOg&feature=youtu.be

Very nice mod but I swap out my battery often and can see this being a bit tedious.

crf450r420

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I have the note 5 and searched wireless charging note 5. I have the Samsung rapid charger. It would be perfect if not for two things, one of which I have a couple inventions to fix. The other is pissing me off. I keep waking up with 82 to 92 percent battery.

On medium to heavy use days I have to charge because Samsung can't do enough to justify reducing battery size. I still would have a 6000mah battery if possible so I could get through any day on one charge. Rant over.

Because of this on medium to light days I go to sleep with 40 to 70 percent battery. It is fully charged well before I wake up and then it stops charging the rest of the night leaving my inadequate battery not fully charged. Some how the phone tells the charger it is fully charged and the light goes green which shuts of charging until the phone is removed and placed on the charger again instead of maintaining the charge until I'm awake. This would be fine with 6000mah battery.

I'm finished now at 74%. Finding and writing here is all I've done other than my alarm.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
My Note 10.1 2014 tablet only has a 8, 220 mAh battery and it's huge.
Look for Zerolemon to come out for the 5.
They have a 10, 000 mAh extended battery for the Note4.