Sandisk vs Samsung: Which SD card is best?

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I recently got a Sandisk card (128 gb) for my note 4. I would have gotten the Samsung 128 gb EVO, but I did not know it was out at the time. The Sandisk card is fast. I have 157 songs and to move them from the phone to the card, it took less than a minute and was a lot faster than the sandisk card (64 gb) that I had previously. I started thinking that it might be better to have the Samsung card, but I am not sure. Do you guys think I should get the samsung card since they have both the same read/write speeds or stay with the Sandisk one? Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As long as they're the same class, the write/read speeds should be the same. However, you're using this with a Samsung phone. I've seen a lot of issues with Samsung Phones and SD cards, but especially with SanDisk's. At one point SanDisk offered to replace any SD card manufactured prior to 2012 just by saying you tried to use it with a Samsung device.

Both are good. But sometimes it's better to keep things within the same brand, just in case.

Whatever you choose, I'd still recommend NOT to save your camera pictures to SD card (only back them up there afterwards) AND keep some sort of backup either in a computer or a cloud service.

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
You should be fine with SanDisk.

Out of curiosity, do you plan on putting more stuff on your SD card? If not you went way overkill with the 128gb.

Posted via Android Central App

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
As long as they're the same class, the write/read speeds should be the same. However, you're using this with a Samsung phone. I've seen a lot of issues with Samsung Phones and SD cards, but especially with SanDisk's. At one point SanDisk offered to replace any SD card manufactured prior to 2012 just by saying you tried to use it with a Samsung device.

Both are good. But sometimes it's better to keep things within the same brand, just in case.

Whatever you choose, I'd still recommend NOT to save your camera pictures to SD card (only back them up there afterwards) AND keep some sort of backup either in a computer or a cloud service.

Yeah, I heard something about the San Disk having problems with the samsung phones which is why I was wondering, and I do save the pics to the card, but I have a separate car (64 gb) for pics and music and I have it saved onto my computer, so hopefully no worries :)

Last edited:

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
You should be fine with SanDisk.

Out of curiosity, do you plan on putting more stuff on your SD card? If not you went way overkill with the 128gb.

Posted via Android Central App

Since there were people saying sandisk was ok then not ok, I was kinda confused. As for the size, well I have 10 movies so far on it and I plan on putting about 11 more. I've only used 30 gb so far, but its nice to have the space.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I believe that they are both about the same. Had the 64GB Sandisk but just purchased the Samsung 128GB EVO because it's so pretty and matches my girly white Note 4 :p
View attachment 154676

If anyone needs a 64GB Sandisk with the adapter, I'll take $25.00 each shipped, I have 2 of them.

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I believe that they are both about the same. Had the 64GB Sandisk but just purchased the Samsung 128GB EVO because it's so pretty and matches my girly white Note 4 :p
View attachment 154676

Did you get it from the store or did you order that? The local best buy in my area didn't even carry the card because I guess it was a high ticket item? They just said that regularly it retails for $199 and that they only way to get it was to order it.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
you're doing yourself a disservice with the EVO sd card, due to the read and write speeds of it, but if you just need one, just to have it, it would work perfectly. The pro version works best with the note 4

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
you're doing yourself a disservice with the EVO sd card, due to the read and write speeds of it, but if you just need one, just to have it, it would work perfectly. The pro version works best with the note 4

Internally, I don't believe that the Note 4 itself can take advantage of the higher speeds. They'd only be useful if you were to take it out and use it in a USB 3.0 reader.

Goosty

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
So what's the procedure these days for putting a new card in? I've heard conflicting reports on how to go about it as far formatting etc. I went with the 64 gig class 10 Samsung card to double the space from my previous card.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So what's the procedure these days for putting a new card in? I've heard conflicting reports on how to go about it as far formatting etc. I went with the 64 gig class 10 Samsung card to double the space from my previous card.

Posted via the Android Central App

Usually just plug in and go. If the card is formatted as NTFS (which I don't think any card is using that from factory nowadays) it will ask you to format it anyway. The recommended format is ExFAT since it allows for larger files (and really the only option for large capacity cards).

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Samsung 128GB EVO Micro SDXC, Absolutely no issues and I'm happy so far. I got it from Amazon and comparing to other SD Cards the price is not bad.
Amazon.com: Samsung 128GB EVO Micro SDXC up to 48MB/s with Adapter
View attachment 154762

I'm stuck on the 32Gb EVO, but I've been thinking about upgrading to the 32Gb PRO.

Posted via my "Material Design Modded" Rooted Sprint LG G2.

(Rooted Sprint GS3 FreedomPop[MVNO]
(Stock "Contest Won - Sprint Galaxy Note 4/Coming Soon."
(Stock Hisense Sero 7 Pro
(Stock Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
(Stock T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm stuck on the 32Gb EVO, but I've been thinking about upgrading to the 32Gb PRO.

Posted via my "Material Design Modded" Rooted Sprint LG G2.

(Rooted Sprint GS3 FreedomPop[MVNO]
(Stock "Contest Won - Sprint Galaxy Note 4/Coming Soon."
(Stock Hisense Sero 7 Pro
(Stock Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
(Stock T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3

As I noted in an earlier post, I don't believe that you will see a speed advantage in the phone itself, only if you use it externally in a USB 3.0 reader (or in a GoPro camera). See this thread over at XDA:

What's the best type of SD card for Note4? | Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | XDA Forums

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
you notice the difference in speed when doing the high quality voice and video recording (4k), but not many people do that.

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I ended up getting the samsung 64gb Pro and let me tell you, there was big difference between the sandisk that I had originally ordered and this one. I wish I could have gotten 128 gb pro, but it's not out yet I believe.

thetonyclifton

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Will I notice the difference between the Evo and the Pro if I am using the SD card to store Google Play music and maybe some video files for watching later? I don't envisage writing a lot to the card, certainly not in high volumes of data. I will probably set up a 20gb section of music to store locally and maybe some video files.

Also in a related question is there any implications on battery using the micro sd card vs the internal phone storage?

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
As it has been mentioned SEVERAL times, the Note 4 can only write but so fast.. Those speeds that the pro and extreme will give will not be realized in the Note 4. I have been using the Sandisk Ultras. I had the 64s in my Note 3, no problem, and went with this 128 Ultra from Amazon for my Note 4. I store all my movies, music, pics and personal vids.. IMO, you can NEVER have too much storage.. :D

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDXC Memory Card Up To 48MB/s With Adapter- SDSDQUAN-128G-G4A [Newest Version]: Computers & Accessories

ggg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith