Note 4 Again 5.7inch?

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Again 5.7inch?

Yes! I really wanted to see them continue the .2" bump in screen size that they've done with every Note iteration which would've made it a 5.9" screen. I guess they couldn't keep the size down if they did that and were afraid it'd be too big for many (not me!). Instead they probably felt a need to go with the higher resolution to compete with the likes of the LG G3. I hope that doesn't prove to be a battery sucker. :( It's a big reason I plan on waiting to see real world reviews/feedback before I consider going for the Note 4. In the end, if it were up to me I'd rather have a 5.9" screen at 1080p. :)

If you want something bigger you might consider the Galaxy Mega 2 scheduled to be released soon.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Why, if you want a bigger phone get the Galaxy Mega and be done with it. I dont need a tablet that is a phone, I need a phone that can serve as an in between device to my tablet.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

5.7 is about right for me. I bet they keep it this size for good

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Does it really NEED to be bigger than 5.7? That's pretty big already.

Posted via Android Central App

rustum

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Yes! I really wanted to see them continue the .2" bump in screen size that they've done with every Note iteration which would've made it a 5.9" screen. I guess they couldn't keep the size down if they did that and were afraid it'd be too big for many (not me!). Instead they probably felt a need to go with the higher resolution to compete with the likes of the LG G3. I hope that doesn't prove to be a battery sucker. :( It's a big reason I plan on waiting to see real world reviews/feedback before I consider going for the Note 4. In the end, if it were up to me I'd rather have a 5.9" screen at 1080p. :)
There is S5 version with bigger resolution and S805 which matched 1080p S5 in battery tests.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

5.7 is as big as I'd consider. I got sick of my Note 3 size or so I thought lol. I need a Note again! Bring on the Note 4!

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Don't want it any bigger... Thats what tablets are for

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I am not expecting it to be bigger and so will be disappointed.
I have a very slim flip over case for the Note 3 that protects the screen and works a treat. adding 10-20% extra bulk with a rugged case doesn't do it for me.

ANY phone that is used constantly as a device needs to be above 5.1 inches imo.
A flagship phone with better S-Pen and note taking ability needs around 6 inches or more, with great readability. I would have to see it in the flesh, but I think I could easily handle one with the right folding case.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I'd have to agree with most they really can't go a lot bigger before it gets into galaxy mega territory. I think 5.7 is the right size to stick to.

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

When I was a young lad I once thought to myself "a 5.5 in. screen? Preposterous!". Then I bought a Note II. Loved it. Got rid of it for a Nexus 5, and it was at that moment I realized I would never switch to a smaller, non-"phablet" phone again. I now own the G Flex and would honestly not mind an even bigger screen (this one is 6 in.)

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

A QHD display is what I was mainly looking for. A 5.7 inche display is just as important for me, as a current GS4 owner, plus the S805 and 32GB storage. 5.7inch or 5.9inch would not have changed my opinion at all about buying the Note 4. If the display wasn't upgraded from FHD to QHD, then yes, I would not buy it.

I'm really looking forward to getting the Note 4 :D

atrain311qes109

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

A QHD display is what I was mainly looking for. A 5.7 inche display is just as important for me, as a current GS4 owner, plus the S805 and 32GB storage. 5.7inch or 5.9inch would not have changed my opinion at all about buying the Note 4. If the display wasn't upgraded from FHD to QHD, then yes, I would not buy it.

I'm really looking forward to getting the Note 4 :D

Sorry to be lame, but can someone give me a pretty basic description between the difference between a FHD and QHD? I like to argue with my co-workers Scott how great Android is, so I like to be the know, even I'm just a rookie geek. Thanks!

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Sorry to be lame, but can someone give me a pretty basic description between the difference between a FHD and QHD? I like to argue with my co-workers Scott how great Android is, so I like to be the know, even I'm just a rookie geek. Thanks!
Pretty much the increase in resolution. The matter of ppi is pretty irrelevant, since that is based both on resolution and screen size, which is the point most people will try to say about FHD (1080p) or QHD (1440p), that the ppi isn't noticeable.

Regardless if you can or cannot see the individual pixels on a 720p,1080p, or 1440p phone, it doesn't really matter, because the higher resolution the content you are watching is, the sharper and more detailed the image will be. For example, you can see a youtube video on a 1080p phone and set it to 360p/480p/720p. Between the 3 settings, you won't be able to see the individual pixels, because the phone will upconvert the image to fill up all the pixels. But in the end, the lower resolution video will look poor in comparison, regardless if you can see the individual pixels or not. Just play a 1080p video on a Moto X and on a HTC One (M7) and you can see how much sharper the video or image will look on the M7 as opposed to the softer image of the Moto X.

So it's basically like that with a QHD (2560x1440) phone over a (1920x1080p) phone. The image will look sharper and much more detailed on the QHD phone over the FHD phone. These phones can record in 4K/2160p or 2.5k/1440p, so the QHD screen can take more advantage of the extra information of the video, while the same video would have to be downconverted on a 1080p phone and detail would be lost in playback. The UI is another area where the OEM's can really let the QHD display shine. The UI will look sharer and much more detailed on a QHD display over a FHD phone. Not all apps are optimized for 1440p though, and with those apps, the 1440p display can only upconvert the 720p/1080p content, but it can't add any more detail to actually make it look better. Just the same way, that until recently, youtube only offered 720p on Android. So most of the time we were just seeing HD(720p) content upconverted to our 1080p FHD phones.

But this may be an area were the people who appreciate the visual quality more so, will see the true benefits of the higher resolutions. I've seen people still watch DVD's on their HDTV's, or stream Netflix HD onto their HDTV's and think it looks really good instead of going for Blu-ray content and enjoying the highest form of 1080p content currently available, instead of highly compressed HD content. Others think that since their TV's are HD, that everything they watch is automatically HD because it's an HDTV lol.

So it's something that people will either appreciate, not notice, or develop a the eye for the content. That's about that. If your friend is an iPhone fan, you can point out that the "retina" term is just marketing and that the iPhone isn't even HD(720p). We'll see what Apple does with their new phone, but at best, they may offer a resolution slightly higher than 720p.

StayFly

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

5.7 is the biggest I would go! my lg g3 is 5.5 feels great but anything bigger than a 5.7 is a real life tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech