Your Note 4 impressions?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Here are mine.

It's definitely not groundbreaking, and there's not much physical changes from the Note 3, but after seeing the improvements, I think this will be another great device, and one of the top devices of 2014.

What I like? 2k screen, way improved S Pen, better S Note, more refined TW (I want that widget), OIS on the main camera, better battery life. And of course, a beefy Snapdragon 805.

And FINALLY! They got rid of those tacky looking faux metal sides and replaced them with real metal. About damn time, Samsung.

Of course, some things still bug me, like the lack of any waterproofing or water-resistance, and the removal of USB 3.0 from the Note 3, but overall, it's an incremental but solid upgrade.

Is it better than the Note 3? Yep. Should you replace your Note 3? Not right now, unless you are absolutely convinced.

As for the Note Edge, time will tell.

Will definitely be playing with them in stores.

UPDATE: About the front camera. You know Ellen DeGeneres will want to take another 'wefie' with it.

Last edited:

kinglunatic87

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I love the overall design. The metal looks amazing. Can't wait to actually hold this device.

Moderate but not amazing software and hardware upgrades. Definetly a refinement from the note 3.

WHERE THE HELL IS MY USB 3.0, they took that away for "fast charging" really? USB 3.0 IS fast charging!!

Wanted to see it get a least a little tiny bit bigger. 😔

Posted via the Android Central App

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I like it. I was not expecting a radical change because that's not how things work in this day and age. However I was expecting a nice little bump up and that's what I got.

My highlights are :

2K display
Design
Enhanced S-pen features
Transparent Widgets
Improved voice recording
Faster charging

I'll leave out all the ones that are also found on the S5 as I already have that although I'm happy to see them come to the note.

Posted from my S5

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Well I'll wait till I can test it but so far from what I've seen:

Save for some little bummers here and there it turned out exactly the way I've expected it.

- QHD in combination with SAmoled :-* check
- SD 805 check (at least it's 64 bit ready) so check
- higher quality frame check (wasn't even a need for me thanks to great cases)
- highly improved S Pen check
- finally better volume rockers it's really nice being able to feel the difference between volume +/-
- headphone jack at the top again (thanks)
- using the heartrate monitor as a real camera-shutter is great

Little bummers:

- only USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 although I don't think I will feel the difference
- no IP 67 ... to be honest I didn't expect it because of the S Pen and yeah I'm sure Lifeproof, Seidio and other topcases will take care of that
- would have loved 4 gig of Ram but judging by some reviewers this baby is already blazzing fast
- speaker at the top would have been nice..but it's not that big of a deal for me since I always connect my phones to my Bose companion

Conclusion:
Is it perfect ? Not really but we are reaching a point in technology where less stellar upgrades are going to happen more frequently the smartphone market is saturated and especially LG, Samsung are pushing the boundaries more and more each year. For my personal needs I think it will be a great phone and Samsung updated the things I wanted them too so very happy. Yeah next years version will have the SD 810, at least for 4 gig of RAM but other than that it won't be much different than the current N 4 and I'm very sure I will still be happy with my N 4 by then.

So all in all very good job Samsung

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Another thing that's bugging me is that the top and bottom bezels seem to be a teeny-weeny bit larger than the Note 3.

SM-9105vsSM-9005.jpg

Nothing too worrying, however. I have huge hands, and I can hold a Note 3 just fine.

Still a great phone, nonetheless. I also appreciate Samsung removing the fake stitching.

(Photo courtesy of The Verge)

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm a note 3 owner so I'm gonna be hard to please but the note 4 still looks great can't wait to get my paws in it

Posted via Android Central App

marselisgn3

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
decent improvements on the hardware section. personally dont like the look of s5. would have liked the note 3 tw better. i own a note 3 i am actually happy for samsung not improving enough to change my mind. of course the better camera and faster charging are welcomed but speakers on the back? really? thicker bezels? REALLY? i really dig the real metal on the sides. a lot. i admitt

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Your impressions?

I just want to say that 20 mah increase is a welcomed change. I would have been truly bummed if it was 2 mah or 10 Mahs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZuperioKing

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
For me, its an improvement. As far as the downgrade USB 3 to 2 is high topic. The Note 3 used 3.0 because Samsung stated faster charging. With the Note IV, Samsung announced faster charging built in as a result USB 2.0. My phone is always in my pocket, so I personally could care less about water resistant and dust. The Metal band similar to the Alpha does look nice. Actually looks better then the Alpha. The lack of 4GB of RAM will haunt Samsung until next year as well as the 20mAh battery increase. Real world usage will tell in regards to performance and battery life. The LG G3 which has the same specs as the Note 4 which as 3,000mAh compared to the Note 4's 3,220. LG G3 users haven't really complained about battery or performance. Both LG G3 and Note 4 have 3GB RAM. LG G3 has Snapdragon 801 - Quad-Core 2.5 GHz, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has Snapdragon 805 - Quad-Core 2.7 GHz.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
For me, its an improvement. As far as the downgrade USB 3 to 2 is high topic. The Note 3 used 3.0 because Samsung stated faster charging. With the Note IV, Samsung announced faster charging built in as a result USB 2.0. My phone is always in my pocket, so I personally could care less about water resistant and dust. The Metal band similar to the Alpha does look nice. Actually looks better then the Alpha. The lack of 4GB of RAM will haunt Samsung until next year as well as the 20mAh battery increase. Real world usage will tell in regards to performance and battery life. The LG G3 which has the same specs as the Note 4 which as 3,000mAh compared to the Note 4's 3,220. LG G3 users haven't really complained about battery or performance. Both LG G3 and Note 4 have 3GB RAM. LG G3 has Snapdragon 801 - Quad-Core 2.5 GHz, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has Snapdragon 805 - Quad-Core 2.7 GHz.

There's a variant of the G3 called the G3 Cat. 6, which has a SnapDragon 805 and is tuned for LTE-A networks in Korea, where it is exclusive to.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I would say that the new Metal construction and OIS camera alone are worth the upgrade.
The premium feel is what was lacking on Samsung phones for me but I feel that after this update, I may not have a compelling reason to upgrade every year. I can finally save some money :D

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Wished they could have kept the overall dimensions the same as the note 3 but made the size of the screen a bit larger, similar to what the LG G3 did. But I'm still living the specs of the note 4 and will likely get it when it's released

sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thoughts on the software?

I personally think TW looks better now. I like the new widget. Could use a new set of icons that are not squared, but maybe that's just me.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It's an evolution of the Note line, and that's fine.

Improvements to the screen, camera, battery, S Pen, etc are expected and good to see. Would have liked to see more Touchwiz improvements, but I think Samsung are set in their ways for the software and don't see that changing soon.

I'm not entirely sure what people were expecting out of the Note 4. It's an upgrade of the Note 3 and I don't know what you could really ask for.

If people enjoy the Note line, this looks to be the best in the series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton