Note 4 Disappointed with the camera improvements?

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I expected more improvement in the Note 4 camera. An increase from 13 to 16 megapixels will not be noticeable. Optical image stabilization is nice, but there was no mention of better low light performance with the back camera, so this feature may not then work that well. (The only mention of improved low light sensitivity was in regard to the front camera.) I was also hoping for quicker auto focusing even in low light situations. No mention was made about that. A higher pixel front camera, IMO, doesn't reap much of a benefit in regards to selfees.

I hate to say this, but Samsung needs a camera that takes pictures as well as an IPhone.
Sure the IPhone camera doesn't compare with Samsung camera features and its many adjustments, but the IPhone does under most conditions, with almost no adjustment, take sharper, more vibrant pictures.

I am probably being too hard on Samsung before seeing what the Note 4 camera can do, but I have been disappointed with the Note 3 camera, and see little reason to expect that much more based on the changes Samsung announced.
Am I alone disappointed or do you expect more improvement in camera performance than what has been announced?

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Disappointed with the camera improvements?

Anyone want to explain Optical as opposed to Digital Image stabilisation. Optical zoom I get.
Does OIS have moving parts or what?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

OP I am OK with the Note 3 camera, in fact I am still mostly impressed with it.
But sure better low light wouldn't hurt, and I would expect something better after a years further development from the 3.

Noah Evans

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

So, I have a couple of things to mention:
1) Most places where I have seen comparisons between the iphone 5s and Samsung S5 cameras, the S5 has been ranked equal or better than the iphone 5s camera. Even imore thinks they are about tied, and they are probably slightly biased towards the iphone. I will be the first to admit that the iphone does a heck of a job on auto but it is by no means head and shoulders above the S5. The note 4 is an improvement over the s5.
<AC wouldn't let me post links b/c I have only posted 7 times in the forums but iMore, phone arena, and DxOMark all speak very favorably of the s5 when compared to the 5s>

2) As far as image stabilization goes, I consider this a huge improvement. Madd54, OIS involves mechanical springs and such that compensate for movement during shooting. It is a physical form of stabilization. I am sure that a very good digital stabilization would come decently close to optical stabilization but keep in mind that you can always do both if you have the hardware for OIS. Stabilization, optical or digital, helps keep video steady, allows the shutter to stay open longer in low light (because any movement would blur the shot, only works when the subject does not move), and generally reduces blur due to movement of the phone during shots. On average, OIS does a much better job than DIS.
Overall, I am excited about the camera. It has the potential to be one of the best smartphone cameras of 2014. Time will tell. Please don’t think that I am a Samsung Fanboy. My last Samsung phone was the Note 2. Since then I have had a M7, G2, and Z2. The Note 4 is the first Samsung phone I have even considered since the Note 2.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Anyone want to explain Optical as opposed to Digital Image stabilisation. Optical zoom I get.

I am not an expert, but from what I understand, in ois, the lens moves to compensate for shaking.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

I expected more improvement in the Note 4 camera. An increase from 13 to 16 megapixels will not be noticeable. Optical image stabilization is nice, but there was no mention of better low light performance with the back camera, so this feature may not then work that well. (The only mention of improved low light sensitivity was in regard to the front camera.) I was also hoping for quicker auto focusing even in low light situations. No mention was made about that. A higher pixel front camera, IMO, doesn't reap much of a benefit in regards to selfees.

I hate to say this, but Samsung needs a camera that takes pictures as well as an IPhone.
Sure the IPhone camera doesn't compare with Samsung camera features and its many adjustments, but the IPhone does under most conditions, with almost no adjustment, take sharper, more vibrant pictures.

I am probably being too hard on Samsung before seeing what the Note 4 camera can do, but I have been disappointed with the Note 3 camera, and see little reason to expect that much more based on the changes Samsung announced.
Am I alone disappointed or do you expect more improvement in camera performance than what has been announced?

I totally Agree with some of your concerns about the camera. However, I would disagree that mega pixels by themselves, really mean much. In fact, more mega pixels can introduce a lot of noise into a picture if there isn't the proper hardware to compensate. I would prefer a larger aperture, which is ultimately going to be what gives the camera better low light performance combined with a high quality lens and sensor. All I recall Samsung saying so far about the rear camera is, that it has ois, 8x zoom, and that it is 16 MG. Documents detail other specs, however, a lot of details have been left out. We will find out more as soon as the reviews start coming out.

Smartphone manufacturers know that increasing the MP count, they are likely to sell more phones. The reality is, that MP count does not contribute to a better photograph at all, and under certain conditions, it can make things worst, far worst.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I agree with Noah Evans above. I am very excited about the OIS being included in the Note 4. That plus the higher resolution screen and I'm sold.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I can say that the camera on the note 4 will be a beast. I have the S5 and compared to my note 3 the camera is so much better. Add OIS and the new front facing camera and it will be a beast on another level. It's already (S5)one of the best if not the best camera phones if you exclude the lumias. This will take the note 4 to another level entirely.

Posted from my S5

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I can say that the camera on the note 4 will be a beast. I have the S5 and compared to my note 3 the camera is so much better. Add OIS and the new front facing camera and it will be a beast on another level. It's already (S5)one of the best if not the best camera phones if you exclude the lumias. This will take the note 4 to another level entirely.

Posted from my S5
S5 is the best outside, great light Android camera. But if the light is not ample it is not as good as some of the Android completion or the iPhone5s.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
S5 is the best outside, great light Android camera. But if the light is not ample it is not as good as some of the Android completion or the iPhone5s.

Not hearing during the Note 4 presentation anything about back camera low light performance improvement gives me reason to believe it probably hasn't been improved. For me that would be a shame. Most of my pictures are shot indoors. Slower focusing and increased noise in low light makes a lot of indoor shots difficult. Almost any camera can do well in bright light, but low light performance separates the men from the boys.

Last edited:

exdrinker

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

I watched it and heard them mention that the camera let's in 60% more light for improved low light pictures.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Not hearing during the Note 4 presentation anything about back camera low light performance improvement gives me reason to believe it probably hasn't been improved. For me that would be a shame. Most of my pictures are shot indoors. Slower focusing and increased noise in low light makes a lot of indoor shots difficult. Almost any camera can do well in bright light, but low light performance separates the men from the boys.

Not all cameras are equal even in good lighting though. However this is being addressed with the addition of OIS.

Posted from my S5

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

OIS is a big improvement. The one thing I am not sure about is if the OIS works in both the Camera mode and Video. If it does, that would be awesome.
If anyone knows, please post.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

I watched it and heard them mention that the camera let's in 60% more light for improved low light pictures.

I believe this was stated specifically with regard to the improved front facing camera. While it could also be true with the rear camera, it wasn't discussed. Rather OIS was the big upgrade discussed there.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

OIS will only probably improve the amount of blurry shots, which would slightly help with low light shots.

What's more important is the aperture and sensor size, which I'm not sure if they've gotten bigger with the Note 4 over the Note 3.

Going from 13MP to 16MP is completely irrelevant. That means absolutely nothing in real terms. OIS is a good start, and I hope they've backed that up with a larger sensor.

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Optical Image Stabilization

Optical image stabilization is the most effective form of image stabilization. Optical image stabilization typically feature tiny gyro-sensors inside the lens that quickly shift pieces of the lens glass to off-set your motion. An image stabilization technology is considered "optical" if it features a moving element inside the lens.

Digital Image Stabilization

Unlike optical systems, digital image stabilization uses software technology to reduce the impact of shaky hands on your video. Depending on the model, this can be accomplished in several ways. Some will calculate the impact of your body movement and use that data to adjust which pixels on the image sensor are being used.

Digital image stabilization is usually less effective than optical stabilization.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Not all cameras are equal even in good lighting though. However this is being addressed with the addition of OIS.

Posted from my S5

Unfortunately IOS by itself will not be enough to GREATLY improve low light performance. For that, they will have to have increased the aperture and sensor sizes. IOS will however improve shots that were taken during camera shake, or shots of moving objects.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately IOS by itself will not be enough to GREATLY improve low light performance. For that, they will have to have increased the aperture and sensor sizes. IOS will however improve shots that were taken during camera shake, or shots of moving objects.

I agree. IOS will do little to improve focusing speed which suffers in low light. It merely lessens the effect of shakes. (With the Note 3, rather than use digital stabilization, I often shoot in burst mode and then pick the best shot). My concern is that IOS may not work all that well in lower light, unless the phone has better low light performance, something missing from the sister S5 and Note 3. I guess we will just have to wait for the reviews of the Note 4 to know for sure how well it shoots in low light.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae