Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  • 1 Post By dragonsamus
  • 1 Post By 21stNow
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    None

Default Note 4 isn't water resistant. Disappointed?

Many folks (including me) love the water resistant capabilities of the GS5 and were probably thinking to get the Note 4.

Will the rest of the upgrades to the new phone be enough for you to get it?
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
  2. Best Answer
    Global Posts
    967 Global Posts

Not in the least. Like another person said I've had several phones and only dropped one in water(one of those old Nokia's with white background lights lol) and it still worked. Idk what ppl are looking to do with these phones. Take shower selfies? Go swimming? You got me there...

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Note 4 isn't water resistant. Disappointed?

I personally don't see any need for it to be honest. The other features are very impressive
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 4- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Gear S

Don't care that much. In 30+ years of using pagers, Palm Pilots, cell phones and smartphones, I've never damaged one with water. It would be a plus, but I won't choose a phone based on it. Especially given how often the usb socket cover on the S5 seems to break.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Willn likes this.

Global Posts
    967 Global Posts

Not in the least. Like another person said I've had several phones and only dropped one in water(one of those old Nokia's with white background lights lol) and it still worked. Idk what ppl are looking to do with these phones. Take shower selfies? Go swimming? You got me there...

Life proof to the rescue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can live without it. I'm more interested in removable batteries, SD card expansion and the fingerprint scanner. I have the S5 and whilst it's nice to know that it's water resistant I have insurance for that kind of thing so when I get the note 4 I wouldn't be screwed if it got wet.

Posted from my S5
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.

I sorta agree with that, but still....water resistance is a nice safety feature. It's hard to see why the tech goes BACKWARDS and a valuable feature is eliminated.

It's not even about the money. Or not JUST about the money. If you're on vacation and it is water damaged, you're screwed until you get home. Plus, the time setting up a new one. Etc.

Probably won't affect my buying decision, but on a device with, say, a $750 sticker price, would be nice to have and hard to understand why it is not there.

I was thinking there was a possibility but with the s pen it's kind of a given that they couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    I was thinking there was a possibility but with the s pen it's kind of a given that they couldn't do it.
    I was thinking the same thing. I believe that if it could be done, that they would have done it.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Its good to have feature of water resistant, but I am also cool without it.

I believe it is. The recent post by Android Central sizing up the iPhone 6 with other Android has a chart that says so. Look at it if you like.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

Maybe it has something to do with the metal band. The galaxy Alpha is not dust and waterproof either. Since its not technically unibody, maybe they cannot waterproof it. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Its nice to have. But can do fine without it

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm not. I've never damaged a phone due to water. I keep my phone away from the pool so I can't accidentally drop it in .
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

THE NOTE 4 IS WATERPROOF!!!!!!!!! I talked to a high up rep for Samsung yesterday in person and he said that the NOTE 4is waterproof!!! He said that he has seen it in person himself and it didn't phase the phone being underwater for several minutes. I think Samsung doesn't want to advertise that is so they are not responsible for any of the Note 4's that do leak.

I'm glad that it isn't waterproof/resistant. It's unnecessary for my lifestyle.

Edited to add: I don't want the extra rubber seals and the charger door (especially!) on my phone because they get in my way, offer no added benefit and provide more things that can fail/break/come off over time..

As other have said, I too have dropped my older phones in water (long enough to react and grab it) and after carefully disassembling them and air drying them I have managed to get them all to work again. If a new one were to not work again in the future I would simply claim it on insurance and have a new one the next day for about $100 deductible.

I would however be more concerned about a waterproofed phone overheating on a regular basis due to lack of venting.

Nope. I have gs4 active and no need for WR on my phone, it just sounds good. Never dropped a phone in water over the yrs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jayspadaro View Post
    THE NOTE 4 IS WATERPROOF!!!!!!!!! I talked to a high up rep for Samsung yesterday in person and he said that the NOTE 4is waterproof!!! He said that he has seen it in person himself and it didn't phase the phone being underwater for several minutes. I think Samsung doesn't want to advertise that is so they are not responsible for any of the Note 4's that do leak.
    Lol? And I just won the lottery

It isn't
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- Verizon
    Motorola Droid Turbo - Verizon
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post

It isn't
    I like your sense of humor response

Can't be waterproof with the s - pen holder/slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post

It isn't
    I like your sense of humor response

Can't be waterproof with the s - pen holder/slot.

I didn't buy the S5 after reading about the countless problems people were having with the charging port cover breaking off. I'm glad Samsung didn't make the same mistake with the Note 4.