Doing the subscription continuation trick with the Note 4.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but IF you are getting a new phone at a discount you are agreeing to the new terms of service which does NOT include unlimited. You can go to T-mobile let me know how the reception is and when they fail to send that gift card to pay off your ETF to Verizon and you end up in Collections (do a Google search).

I gave up unlimited long ago and if you get a discount you TOS says you lose it as well. Stealing is stealing and if you don't like the carrier join another one. Its just my opinion and no I rarely use more than 3-5GB a month so I could care less about unlimited.
You shouldn't be doing the ETF payment with t-mobile unless you can float or afford the ETF....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Man, it sucks but Verizon is really locking this down. Even in cases where it seems to 'work' they have been backing it out and moving people to retail plans. Since all of the unlimited plans are off-contract now they are taking it hard and moving people without any way to go back. Sucks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but IF you are getting a new phone at a discount you are agreeing to the new terms of service which does NOT include unlimited. You can go to T-mobile let me know how the reception is and when they fail to send that gift card to pay off your ETF to Verizon and you end up in Collections (do a Google search).

I gave up unlimited long ago and if you get a discount you TOS says you lose it as well. Stealing is stealing and if you don't like the carrier join another one. Its just my opinion and no I rarely use more than 3-5GB a month so I could care less about unlimited.

As with anything Raptor.. People have to always look at the fine print. You can get reimbursed for your ETF from T-Mobile but it takes time.. So people that are considering this should always know they'll have to pay the ETF and get refunded later... Exactly like a rebate :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Whether they offer it or not, they did at one point, and now to take it away, just because someone change phones, or for any reason for that matter, is unethical. Furthermore, Verizon is under investigation by The FCC for its throttling practices of unlimited data users. I know that Verizon has its advantages as well, however, they are not a carrier I would use considering my current needs and their practices.

Technically it isn't unethical. It doesn't have to do with them changing phones. If someone on Verizon goes and buys a phone at full price.. They can swap all day without a word from Verizon.. And they'll keep unlimited...

What they ARE doing is... People buying a phone at a 2 year contract rate... Swapping SIMs instead of activating the new one... There by getting a discounted phone and still keeping a plan that isn't offered anymore.

Big difference :).

Last edited:

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Technically it isn't unethical. It doesn't have to do with them changing phones. If someone on Verizon goes and buys a phone at full price.. They can swap all day without a word from Verizon.. And they'll keep unlimited...

What they ARE doing is... People buying a phone at a 2 year contract rate... Swapping SIMs instead of activating the new one... There by getting a discounted phone and still keeping a plan that isn't offered anymore.

Big difference :).

I respectfully disagree. Verizon could have chosen to extend unlimited to customers who cannot afford to buy the phone out right, as is the situation with most people, however, they chose not to. It is a slap in the face to those customers, and an attempt to get rid of as many unlimited customers as possible. Verizon has already been accused by the FCC of attempting to force their unlimited customers onto a metered plan.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. Verizon could have chosen to extend unlimited to customers who cannot afford to buy the phone out right, as is the situation with most people, however, they chose not to. It is a slap in the face to those customers, and an attempt to get rid of as many unlimited customers as possible. Verizon has already been accused by the FCC of attempting to force their unlimited customers onto a metered plan.

You can disagree but the fact is they don't offer it.. And they don't want people on it. No one is arguing that... They want people off of unlimited. So they're not going to allow people to keep it and get a discounted phone. You either have to buy full price or go elsewhere.. It's pretty plain and simple.

Just like AT&T is trying to force people.. Hence why their "unlimited" is capped at 5GB.. After that... 0.3 speeds for the rest of the cycle.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
You can disagree but the fact is they don't offer it.. And they don't want people on it. No one is arguing that... They want people off of unlimited. So they're not going to allow people to keep it and get a discounted phone. You either have to buy full price or go elsewhere.. It's pretty plain and simple.

Just like AT&T is trying to force people.. Hence why their "unlimited" is capped at 5GB.. After that... 0.3 speeds for the rest of the cycle.

Of course they want everyone off of it. The argument is whether their actions are ethical or not. I don't think they are, and the FCC called them on their current practices.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Of course they want everyone off of it. The argument is whether their actions are ethical or not. I don't think they are, and the FCC called them on their current practices.

The FCC only called Verizon out due to the rules regarding certain spectrum Verizon has.... If you notice the FCC hasn't said a word to AT&T about their throttle since the day they started it... And theirs is a hard cap... The network could not even be congested but you will be slowed down 100% of the time.

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I guess part of what sticks in my craw about the whole thing is that the unlimited plan was the entire reason I moved to Verizon. I paid a premium for that plan for a while, specifically with the understanding that eventually data needs would increase to the point that the plan would provide a return on investment.

The throttling combined with the forced conversion is disingenuous in my eyes. It's like someone selling you a lifetime membership to "Rockstar Gym". Months later, when you start to really build up your muscles, they say that 3 machines in the gym will now be "Rockstar Gym", the rest of the machines in the gym are now part of "Mega Rockstar Gym".

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess part of what sticks in my craw about the whole thing is that the unlimited plan was the entire reason I moved to Verizon. I paid a premium for that plan for a while, specifically with the understanding that eventually data needs would increase to the point that the plan would provide a return on investment.

The throttling combined with the forced conversion is disingenuous in my eyes. It's like someone selling you a lifetime membership to "Rockstar Gym". Months later, when you start to really build up your muscles, they say that 3 machines in the gym will now be "Rockstar Gym", the rest of the machines in the gym are now part of "Mega Rockstar Gym".

I agree it can be shady ... Anyone who knows me around here knows I love unlimited / unthorttled data. I just somewhat understand the "spectrum" issue ... Although I realize it won't be a huge issue for many years to come so .. They are just milking it on that excuse for now.

As for home ISPs I have zero sympathy for them. Capacity issues aren't about what "radio waves" (spectrum) are available like wireless -- They simply just have to toss money at it and it goes away ... The thing is they don't want to so they want to get caps there as well. Luckily I haven't seen any on U-Verse on Comcast ... I have seen it mentioned but never in effect.

Willn

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Verizon is and has been unethical for years even before smart phones. The people who still have unlimited data with Verizon are still paying a subsidy price for their plan. Verizon does not discount a plan for being off contract unless they are an edge member. Unlimited customers are not allowed to join edge without starting a new plan. There for they are charging people subsidy fees but not allowing unlimited customers to take advantage of the subsidy deal they already pay for. They discriminate against us for being unlimited even though we have been loyal for 4+ years. Share plan holders get to take advantage of subsidy deals no matter what with no change to their plan. So we look for ways around their rules, they make up the rules as they go to look for ways to sap every hard earned dollar from your pocket. I'd say the multi billion dollar company is probably a little more unethical than me.

Posted via the Android Central App

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree it can be shady ... Anyone who knows me around here knows I love unlimited / unthorttled data. I just somewhat understand the "spectrum" issue ... Although I realize it won't be a huge issue for many years to come so .. They are just milking it on that excuse for now.

As for home ISPs I have zero sympathy for them. Capacity issues aren't about what "radio waves" (spectrum) are available like wireless -- They simply just have to toss money at it and it goes away ... The thing is they don't want to so they want to get caps there as well. Luckily I haven't seen any on U-Verse on Comcast ... I have seen it mentioned but never in effect.
You should read this letter from fcc to Verizon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You should read this letter from fcc to Verizon.

Again I said I know about the letter.. But he is doing that because Verizon has spectrum rules.

If you're going to use that as evidence... Answer me on why AT&T has never once been talked about for capping all unlimited customers at 5 GB... Regardless of congestion... Once you hit 5 GB you're throttled for the rest of the cycle.

To me that's even more of a shove than Verizon's... Verizon says during congestion... AT&T is a hard cap...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is my buddy... On AT&T unlimited... After his 5 GB.... No matter congestion... Or any factors.... He gets this the rest of the month.

I left AT&T for this very reason when I was on them... I'd hit 5 GB and be at dial up speeds.

Attachments

• 1412046193562.jpg
    1412046193562.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 27

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Again I said I know about the letter.. But he is doing that because Verizon has spectrum rules.

If you're going to use that as evidence... Answer me on why AT&T has never once been talked about for capping all unlimited customers at 5 GB... Regardless of congestion... Once you hit 5 GB you're throttled for the rest of the cycle.

To me that's even more of a shove than Verizon's... Verizon says during congestion... AT&T is a hard cap...

Actually, if you read that particular letter, Wheeler goes on to say, that he has written to all of the carriers asking for explanations as to what their throttling policies are. I am not going to continue with this, I made my views known, and so have others on this board and elsewhere. It really comes down to offering an end product that consumers want to buy. Time will tell if Verizon & AT&T will suffer. Their service is not that far superior over t-mobile where a lot of users won't hesitate to switch.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, if you read that particular letter, Wheeler goes on to say, that he has written to all of the carriers asking for explanations as to what their throttling policies are. I am not going to continue with this, I made my views known, and so have others on this board and elsewhere. It really comes down to offering an end product that consumers want to buy. Time will tell if Verizon & AT&T will suffer. Their service is not that far superior over t-mobile where a lot of users won't hesitate to switch.

And I agree with you. I was basically saying Verizon isn't the only one messing with their unlimited users. AT&T is just as guilty. I seriously hope they both get punished.. Since as you said they sold.. If anything.. Forced unlimited (if you had a smartphone) so.. It shouldn't change since they want a bunch of profits now for those who kept the plan intact.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Meh, this is the reason I got a third dummy line. The wife and I keep our unlimited and I get a new subsidy priced phone every 8 months.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

If a person can't or won't pay full price for a phone or a car or a house or a vacation, no one or entity, owes that person anything. Extending interest free credit for phones by the carriers is not a "personal right" of the customers. It is in fact a privilege granted by the carriers and one the carriers are not legally or morally required to continue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo