Doing the subscription continuation trick with the Note 4.

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there typically any delay in when Best Buy online gets new phones? Are there any other places expected to have the Note 4 where you can receive it unactivated?

I really don't want to lose my unlimited data plan. :p

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why would you lose your unlimited data plan?

My guess would be... he has a Verizon unlimited plan and may be using a work around to get a discounted phone while not losing unlimited since Verizon is trying to phase it out.

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Almeuit got it. There's a workaround where you can continue with the same SIM, but it has to be inserted before the phone is powered on with a new SIM on Verizon's network.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Almeuit got it. There's a workaround where you can continue with the same SIM, but it has to be inserted before the phone is powered on with a new SIM on Verizon's network.

That is absolutely ridiculous in my view, that is, they can take away your unlimited just because you are changing phones. Sorry, but I would have to dump Verizon. I am with T-Mobile and I am very happy with them. I have already talked to them about upgrading to the Note 4 and they assured me that my unlimited plan will stay intact.

By the way, I believe T-Mobile is making a big announcement on September 10th. I think they are going to be lowering the prices on their unlimited plans for new customers, and customers who are eligible for upgrades.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That is absolutely ridiculous in my view, that is, they can take away your unlimited just because you are changing phones. Sorry, but I would have to dump Verizon. I am with T-Mobile and I am very happy with them. I have already talked to them about upgrading to the Note 4 and they assured me that my unlimited plan will stay intact.

By the way, I believe T-Mobile is making a big announcement on September 10th. I think they are going to be lowering the prices on their unlimited plans for new customers, and customers who are eligible for upgrades.

Well unlimited staying intact on T-Mobile isn't a fair comparison to Verizon. T-Mobile offers it.. So of course it'll stay intact :).

@OP - i believe if you buy the phone on discount and just don't activate it (and don't turn it on till you put in your unlimited sim) you'll then be good.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Well unlimited staying intact on T-Mobile isn't a fair comparison to Verizon. T-Mobile offers it.. So of course it'll stay intact :).

Whether they offer it or not, they did at one point, and now to take it away, just because someone change phones, or for any reason for that matter, is unethical. Furthermore, Verizon is under investigation by The FCC for its throttling practices of unlimited data users. I know that Verizon has its advantages as well, however, they are not a carrier I would use considering my current needs and their practices.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Whether they offer it or not, they did at one point, and now to take it away, just because someone change phones, or for any reason for that matter, is unethical. Furthermore, Verizon is under investigation by The FCC for its throttling practices of unlimited data users. I know that Verizon has its advantages as well, however, they are not a carrier I would use considering my current needs and their practices.

All carriers are being investigated by the fcc for throttling...

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You can change phones at anytime and unlimited is not affected unless you use the subsidy. Otherwise, you can buy at full retail, cl, eBay, etc and you won't lose unlimited.

For me, Tmobile's signal isn't as good as Verizon where I need it at home and at work, and Verizon offers unlimited hotspot and unlimited tablet data, something that no other carrier offers.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, but IF you are getting a new phone at a discount you are agreeing to the new terms of service which does NOT include unlimited. You can go to T-mobile let me know how the reception is and when they fail to send that gift card to pay off your ETF to Verizon and you end up in Collections (do a Google search).

I gave up unlimited long ago and if you get a discount you TOS says you lose it as well. Stealing is stealing and if you don't like the carrier join another one. Its just my opinion and no I rarely use more than 3-5GB a month so I could care less about unlimited.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You can change phones at anytime and unlimited is not affected unless you use the subsidy. Otherwise, you can buy at full retail, cl, eBay, etc and you won't lose unlimited.

For me, Tmobile's signal isn't as good as Verizon where I need it at home and at work, and Verizon offers unlimited hotspot and unlimited tablet data, something that no other carrier offers.

That is correct, that is supposed to be the only way you can do it. Still loopholes in the system, but they do close them eventually.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am on an AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan that is not effected by upgrading to a subsidized phone every 18 mos (if I want through AT&T) or every 24 mos from a third party reseller (lower price than AT&T). I looked at T-Mobile's new plans and they're actually more expensive for me because they do not subsidize their phones. Also, T-Mobile's coverage is not nearly as extensive as AT&T's in my locale.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Big Red isn't just a mobile phone company, why don't people understand that?

Posted via Android Central App

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but IF you are getting a new phone at a discount you are agreeing to the new terms of service which does NOT include unlimited. You can go to T-mobile let me know how the reception is and when they fail to send that gift card to pay off your ETF to Verizon and you end up in Collections (do a Google search).

I gave up unlimited long ago and if you get a discount you TOS says you lose it as well. Stealing is stealing and if you don't like the carrier join another one. Its just my opinion and no I rarely use more than 3-5GB a month so I could care less about unlimited.

I just used a upgrade from my unlimited line in August and kept unlimited data. I transferred the upgrade to another line. This was done on Verizon's own website.

How did I steal from Verizon?

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

I am not going to claim that T-Mobile's signal is as good as Verizon's everywhere, however, where I live, it is excellent. As I had stated in my original comment, Verizon has its advantages. T-Mobile is also rapidly expanding their network. The FCC is going to auction a lot more bandwidth in the middle of 2015. They have put limitations as to what Verizon and AT&T can bid in an effort to allow the smaller carriers to catch up. I think this a big win for the consumer.

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
So does anyone know if there is any way to keep Verizon's unlimited data now on the purchase of a subsidized phone? I do not have another line on the plan.

I have read conflicting reports ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon.html ) of the "Best Buy" method and ordering from Best Buy online or from Costco. It seems it may still work to insert your old SIM prior to powering on, but that you'll lose your unlimited data if you ever have to contact Verizon. Is this correct?

And I am pretty sure that all methods for the $200 gift/credit card are also right out.

Willn

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I am aware of this trick and did it the last time I upgraded. With that said though im not gonna take my chances again. I dodged a bullet once im not gonna risk it again lol. When I did it last time I simply called Verizon, upgraded, they said I'd loose my unlimited, they made me do a vocal agreement to accept the terms and that was all. About a week later my phone came in and the Sim was in the package, I tossed it to the side and put my old Sim in and have enjoyed unlimited ever since. I've contacted Verizon plenty of times and never had an issue.

But to answer your question, I'm pretty sure anywhere you can order the phone to be shipped to your house means the Sim will not be activated yet. Some may preinstall the Sim, but it won't activate until the phone is turned on. So if you do order it and it arrives at your door, DO NOT TURN IT ON!!! Take the back off, pull the Sim out and place your old one. Then turn it on and you should be OK. They will lock your account but, give it some time and your account should unfreeze on its own. All it means is you won't be able to make changes to your bill.

If your willing to take the risk then best of luck ;) Just remember things change and that trick has been around for a few years now so do it with limited expectations.

Posted via the Android Central App

Willn

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Well they won't know unless a manager investigates your account. If they do find it they won't freak out, most likely they would just assume there was an error and correct it by switching your old card to the new plan. All the Sim card is, is an account ID. When they make changes to the account they apply them to a different Sim so the changes don't go into effect until you receive your phone with your new Sim. But what's always been in our favor? The under educated over commissioned sales people they have working in there stores don't know how their system works. Chances are they will see the lock on your account and unlock it assuming its nothing but an error.
If your worried about Verizon refuseing service to you...dont. In the end you can always play dumb, claim you thought you were supposed to put your old card in.

Willn

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Also on a side note, I decided not to risk it again because I would rather just turn around and sell my new phone in a year for half of the price on ebay and use that money towards another new phone. If you chose to do the subsidy deal, you may not be able to sell it later because Verizon recently inacted a new policy where that divice is locked into that 2 year plan. It won't be possible to activate it on another line. I'm not sure how that new policy plays into effect with this old trick. Anyways though I would rather have a new phone in a year rather than wait 2yrs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz