TouchWiz on Note 4 still lags

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Note 4 at BestBuy today, and I found that TouchWiz still lags and has stutters. I tested 3 phones - Note 4 and S5 in the display, and my LG G2. My G2 was running AOSP rom. Tested -

1. opening a number of apps, then opening recents
2. open settings
3. switch to gallery from camera
4. switch between apps

S-Voice was disabled on both Samsung phones, but they were in retail mode obviously. What I found was there is no speed difference between N4/S5, and both are slower than G2, esp on #1. I expect these powerful phones to be instant and seeing an almost 1/2s lag before e.g. settings opens is not acceptable.

I tried 2 different N4 phones and both had same issue. Now I'm just hoping it is due to retail mode running in background. I also wanted to test fingerprint unlock but that's disabled.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If Touchwiz lags, it will lag on every phone. It is not going to matter the processor since more than likely it only uses the slower 300 MHz speed to do these tasks. This should not be factoring into your decision to buy one. The snapdragon 805 will make the difference when it matters, not opening the app drawer or changing home screens. Personally, I have not witnessed the lag on my Note 3 unless my phone was busy downloading or updating.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Samsung pushed a update to all note 4 devices a couple days ago, some bestbuy locations may not have downloaded the update to the phones and fixed certain bugs....some users who experienced the device at bestbuy actually decided to update it themselves...

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I didn't notice any lag at all in the three demo units I tried, and certainly no stutter. I'm familiar with lag because now my SIII is laggy as heck-I could request an app to open and make a sandwich while I wait for the response. :)

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I tested the three demos yesterday and experienced no lag or stutter. And I'm now familiar with lag, as my SIII is currently laggy as heck. I could request an app to open and go make a sandwich in the meantime. :D

adam220891

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
This really concerns me.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Nokia Lumia 521, which is lag-free when it comes to scrolling, opening menus/apps, animations, etc. My experience with Android has always been less fluid except for the highest end devices...but the bloat that is TouchWiz can still cripple even the best internals.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I will be waiting for the official launch to make my judgement. As I've said in previous threads.. The demo units can be messed with by people and also the demo software can cause issues as well.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I tried the Note 4 at BestBuy today, and I found that TouchWiz still lags and has stutters. I tested 3 phones - Note 4 and S5 in the display, and my LG G2. My G2 was running AOSP rom. Tested -

1. opening a number of apps, then opening recents
2. open settings
3. switch to gallery from camera
4. switch between apps

S-Voice was disabled on both Samsung phones, but they were in retail mode obviously. What I found was there is no speed difference between N4/S5, and both are slower than G2, esp on #1. I expect these powerful phones to be instant and seeing an almost 1/2s lag before e.g. settings opens is not acceptable.

I tried 2 different N4 phones and both had same issue. Now I'm just hoping it is due to retail mode running in background. I also wanted to test fingerprint unlock but that's disabled.
No lag on my note 3 nor the demo I tried of the note 4

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
i've played with at least 12 different phones, at different Best Buy locations. I haven't experienced ANY lag or stuttering.

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 4 from T-Mo, even after the update it still lags. After pressing the home button it takes 2-3 sec's for the screen to wake-up. Video's freeze when playing Youtube and on the native video app. The battery isn't that great either, this Note 4 is going back to the store.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
opening the recent apps delays for me also no matter how many apps are opened. Im on ATT so no launch day update yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2