Note 4: Android L

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thoughts on the new Material Designed TouchWiz?

Looking good to me. Just wonder how long before we get the update after buying our phones? Would be nice if Google would send out a press invites for their event soon.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
January or so I guess?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I think it's more about the underlying features (ART, security, etc) of Android L more than anthing else plus I know Android L has that new "flat" look to it. I think since they are getting it worked out on the S5 then they are probably doing the same thing to the Note 4 as we speak. That would mean by November they should have it up and running and start pushing out the updates to wireless carriers for their approval.

This should mean will will see Android L on at least the flagship Samsung models like Linebarrel86 mentioned by January I hope!

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
My interest in this phone has dropped considerably after seeing how Samsung butchered L. Android L is going to be its biggest release, fast and beautiful. TW will make it slow, ugly and barely looking different. And on top of it Verizon will get it months later.

There will be no custom roms that are stable, even if anyone manages to get around locked bootloader.

Its a pity such great hardware will get destroyed by Samsung and Verizon's crappy software and policies.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
My interest in this phone has dropped considerably after seeing how Samsung butchered L. Android L is going to be its biggest release, fast and beautiful. TW will make it slow, ugly and barely looking different. And on top of it Verizon will get it months later.

There will be no custom roms that are stable, even if anyone manages to get around locked bootloader.

Its a pity such great hardware will get destroyed by Samsung and Verizon's crappy software and policies.
I like TouchWiz so in my opinion Samsung butchered nothing....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I won't say I love TouchWiz, but it hasn't been butchered.

There was a time where TouchWiz improved stock Android. Sure, those days are over, but at least Samsung is showing that they are listening to consumer feedback.

Hardware improvements. And the software has gotten to looking better.

I understand TW isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the hate it gets is irrational. By this point in time it should be crystal clear that:

1. TouchWiz isn't going anywhere.

2. Google wants OEMs to skin Android if they choose. That's why they create design guidelines in the first place.

3. If it wasn't for Samsung, it may have taken even longer for stock Android to add quick toggles and other little improvements Android didn't initially have.

Again, I don't love TW, or any other skinned version of Android, but truth be told, they all look fine.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand all the hate for TW. Because it adds 1 millisecond to transitions? I had a nexus and got bored with it. I like a lot of the things tied into TW.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

And where exactly have you seen how "Samsung butchered L?" Unless you're a Samsung dev involved in the process and you are trashing yourself then you've seen no such thing.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
And where exactly have you seen how "Samsung butchered L?" Unless you're a Samsung dev involved in the process and you are trashing yourself then you've seen no such thing.

There's a video posted a few posts up. I think that what they are referring to.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
There's a video posted a few posts up. I think that what they are referring to.

If that is what they were referring to, then I'd have to repeat that they have not seen any such thing. I don't care if people don't like TouchWiz but I just wish they wouldn't lie about things that they don't know about and/or don't understand.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If that is what they were referring to, then I'd have to repeat that they have not seen any such thing. I don't care if people don't like TouchWiz but I just wish they wouldn't lie about things that they don't know about and/or don't understand.

And what do you mean by this? The video clearly shows TouchWiz based on L, all that will change from now is more optimization and minor tweaks. It's from a respected site sammobile.

You are the one insinuating something and calling others a liar, for what I don't know. Based on the past history of TouchWiz releases, its a very safe bet this is close to what it will look like.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
And what do you mean by this? The video clearly shows TouchWiz based on L, all that will change from now is more optimization and minor tweaks. It's from a respected site sammobile.

You are the one insinuating something and calling others a liar, for what I don't know. Based on the past history of TouchWiz releases, its a very safe bet this is close to what it will look like.

That video shows a preview of what the TouchWiz interface may look like with Material Design. Does not show what Samsung has or hasn't done with L.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
My Note 3 Verizon phone is blazing fast, stunning to look at, and the launcher works great for me. I can't wait for an even better version of what they have available now!!

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There was a time where TouchWiz improved stock Android.

Staring-Confused-Ron-Swanson.gif

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I personally plan on waiting for root on the version that the Note 4 ships with - devs will always find a way to make the stock rom better (Hyperdrive for one, is my favorite)... Whatever issues I have with Touchwiz are instantly taken care of whenever I installed Hyperdrive on a samsung device. It'll be interesting to see what they do customization-wise with Lollipop