Note 4 Need to knows and tips for a new user

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been an iPhone user for 7 years, I making the switch on October 17th to the Note 4 - Are there any tips or things one should know before I make it official?

I have read a lot of articles about the differences between the two, but I figure there is always info out there I might have missed.

Anything you all can share will be appreciated.

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Need to knows and tips for a new user

Hello Brandwin, and welcome to the world of Android!

I'm not gonna sugar coat it. The transition will be trying. It always is when you switch from an OS to another (unless you've tried using Android before and have eased your way into it).

But if you're new to Android, the Note 4 is a powerful way to go into it. A few basic things are backing up your contacts (if you can do it to Google's servers on your iPhone, the better, since that's where your main data will reside now), get ready to lose the iTunes-tied mentality, and prepare yourself for freedom of customization. In the last portion is where the scary part comes. OPTIONS. You'll get options everywhere and settings you just didn't have before. Many are self explanatory and you'll be able to pick it up quickly, but if now, we're always here ready to help :)

Songs. You no longer need iTunes, but if you still want iTunes in your life (you did spend years building that collection and sorting it out to your liking, after all), you can either use Samsung's solution or use DoubleTwist, considered by many the 'iTunes equivalent' for Android.

You can now drag and drop files onto your phone when connected to a PC. Also, you can share media and files via Bluetooth and even between apps. You have more choices of keyboards that are much better integrated than with iOS.

Apps you own, you'll have to download again (and probably purchase). Some of them you might not find on Android, so be ready for that.

Oh, and important!!! Make SURE you unlink your Apple ID from your phone number or you'll have issues getting SMS from your iBuddies! Here's a guide for that:
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFgGyxtk2cXf6CWNsi5G4ESmdqKPQ

Also, check this one out for some good pointers:
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFKKc-rbsY_Xcs2O3bBHwwxL2wCCQ

Last edited:

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

If you look on Drippler, there's an article about the basics of android. I've been a droid user for years and I found it informative

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to Android. Let me just say this will be one of your best and smartest decisions in life, at least when it comes to technology.

You are making the best and most powerful transition to Android by going straight for the King of Android devices, the gALAxy note 4. I may sound like a Samsung rep or a fanboy, but rest assured, I am just a 23 year old NY cop who loves the Galaxy phones.

The change will be dramatic no doubt, and everything will feel new and possibly confusing at first. But at the same hand, it will feel refreshing and you will be learning new and useful features everytime you use your phone.

I would advise you make a Gmail account now if you dont already have one, this way you can connect your Note 4 directly by logging in day one instead have registering on the device itself. Just saves a little bit time.

When you are done being amazed by the super bright, beautiful QHD screen, hit the auto brightness button, turn on power saving, and turn screen display to Adaptive. This will ensire the best and moat accurate colors and also increase the already long lasting battery life.

Buy a 64gb (or 128gb if you want) Samsung microSDXC Pro. The phone comes with 32gb built in, 26gb will be usable.

Set camera storage to external SD.
Download misc apps like games to external SD.

Try out the UI before downloading something like Nova LAuncher. You might like Touchwiz more like some of us (me for example).

Remember, Ultra Saving Mode can turn even 5% battery last over 10 hours, it disables extra features of the phone like wifi and music.

I am writing this from a Note 2, so I will stop here. Ask or PM if you specific questions, I am sure many people here will thoroughly answer any questions.

Lastly, Youtube.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the advice all. I am really pumped to be switching phones. I almost switched when the S5 came out.

So backing up contacts and some other stuff I can do before? I don't have much music on my phone and leaving iTunes behind will not be a problem. All my pics are already backed up on my PC and external memory card.

It looks like a lot of people recommend the 64GB Samsung card because of the speeds? I'll probably order that one soon.

It seems most of the main apps I use are also available for android. Pocket reader, Pocketcasts, Tapatalk, Whatsapp, Groupme etc... Only one missing and its my most used app is Tweetbot, but I'll adjust. Are there specific apps you guys recommend, for weather, mail, etc...

Once I pick up my phone, is it where I can pretty much pick it up and go? I will be trading in my iPhone 5 on release day for the $200 credit.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

I've never used Samsung's Smart Switch Mobile app but this could help you. It has a decent rating in the Play Store.

How to Switch from iPhone or Android to Galaxy S5: http://youtu.be/iVU_iBvJnxA

And, Pocketcasts (as you mention above) is an excellent choice for your podcasts. That's my favorite. Once I found it, I quit looking at any others. Most other podcast apps left me wanting for something or just didn't work well.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

Create a Gmail account. Start adding your contacts and calendar events from your computer in Gmail. One of the first things your new phone will ask you to do is log into Gmail. Then that's it. All of your contacts and calendar events you added on the computer will be on your phone. You can edit/add/remove these via phone or PC, and it's all automatically synced through your Gmail account.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Need to knows and tips for a new user

So my question about switching is how do u import pics on iMacs. I plug my iPhone in and it syncs automatically to iPhoto. How does that work with note 4 and iMac?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Welcome.
I personally prefer AquaMail for email. It is free, has great support, does POP3, IMAP including pushing, and MS Exchange extremely well and is very easy to set up.
If you are only using one or two gmail accounts the native Android gmail client is excellent.

I also prefer 1 Weather for weather.
Roboform for password management and creation (free with great tech support if needed)
Bitdefender or Timelook for security/virus protection and phone tracking and remote locking/wiping. Google also has an excellent remote managing App.
Enjoy your Android ride and know that there is always folks here and on XDA forums to assist when you need it.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Welcome!

I use both ios and Android, I'm sure you'll enjoy what android has to offer.

If you like tweetbot try talon. They aren't similar in appearance but talon is a full client like tweetbot and some similar features. For weather I use 1weather.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone!

Posted via Android Central App

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Create a Gmail account. Start adding your contacts and calendar events from your computer in Gmail. One of the first things your new phone will ask you to do is log into Gmail. Then that's it. All of your contacts and calendar events you added on the computer will be on your phone. You can edit/add/remove these via phone or PC, and it's all automatically synced through your Gmail account.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
I was able to sync all my iPhone contacts to my gmail account - So when I get my Note 4 how do I get them on my phone?

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

I was able to sync all my iPhone contacts to my gmail account - So when I get my Note 4 how do I get them on my phone?

Your phone will have you log into your Gmail account upon setup. There's nothing else you need to do. Once your Gmail account is on your phone, everything will automatically be synced to its correct location.

Just make sure that you select your Gmail account when creating future new contacts. Once everything is in Gmail, you never need to worry about backing up/restoring contacts/calendar/tasks/etc. Just log into your Gmail on any Android device and everything will be in place.

I also recommend downloading Google+ and enabling photo backup. You can set it to back up any time wifi is on and the phone is charging. Then you also never have to worry about backing up or restoring photos and videos.

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

SwiftKey, light flow and Nova launcher.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk